Author Topic: COVID-19 "long-haulers"? Auto-immune??  (Read 1290 times)

SabbraCadabra

COVID-19 "long-haulers"? Auto-immune??
« on: August 20, 2020, 08:43:32 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Covid yet?

I suspect that I may have caught a VERY mild case of it back in early March. I've been having real bad flareups ever since, they kind of come and go, but they're definitely worse than any flareups I've had since I stopped eating gluten. For a while I thought maybe it was just stress, or a dirty air conditioner, but I've been reading more and more about these "long-haulers" who catch the virus, and are still suffering from complications months later. The symptoms sound a lot like typical auto-immune symptoms: brain fog, inflammation, sore muscles and joints, fatigue, etc.

Let me see if I can find some links. I know it's scary to read this stuff, but ignoring it isn't going to keep us safe.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/08/story-of-a-coronavirus-long-hauler-five-months-after-getting-infected-still-struggling-to-recover.html

Her worst symptom is crushing fatigue, she said. She also still has a cough. Still has tightness in her chest.
"I have a stiff neck, which is crazy -- like really sore stiff neck all the time," she said. "And hair loss. Just massive hair loss.
"Those are daily symptoms," Gansler said. "If I do too much, I end up back in bed."
It's not just cardiac issues. The long-term impacts from COVID-19 are a lengthy and varied list, and include fatigue, a racing heartbeat, shortness of breath, achy joints, foggy thinking, a persistent loss of sense of smell, blood clots and damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys, and brain.

https://www.mlive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/mega-80s-singer-describes-terrifying-coronavirus-battle-i-may-never-sing-again.html

He says he is now battling bilateral pneumonia. But that's nothing compared to what he says he went through with his COVID-19 symptoms.
"The symptoms started around March 12. I had a runny nose, tiny cough and slight headache. A week later, I was fatigued and had mental spaciness.
"At one point, I couldn't answer basic questions in the hospital, like what my name or birthday was. I became very confused and weak with shallow breathing."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDhQ43NgP02/

After living the last 4 months with lingering symptoms like, vertigo, stomach abnormalities, irregular periods, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, zero short term memory, and general malaise...

https://www.tctmd.com/news/covid-19s-kawasaki-mis-c-diagnosis-cropping-adults

..."Kawasaki-like multisystem inflammatory syndrome in the setting of SARS-CoV-2 infection" in a 45-year-old man.
"As we continue to learn about SARS-CoV-2-associated syndromes, it will be important to be aware of the possibility of an MIS-C-like syndrome occurring in adults, including the potential cardiac manifestations,"

Anyway, hope everyone else is doing well!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 04:21:15 PM by SabbraCadabra »

meirish

Re: COVID-19 "long-haulers"? Auto-immune??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 01:54:51 AM »
I don't know if you have seen the literature that is out about the Covid. They have finally figured out that it is autoimmune in nature. Sounds like the first symptoms come and don't make one think of autoimmune and then as time goes on the symptoms get so much worse. I'm sure that some of this is found on autopsy. I have never heard if these people show any positive blood work for autoimmune.

The people who made this virus really came up with a vicious, destructive illness. Hopefully researchers will learn more and fast.They are moving toward the biologics and immune suppressant drugs for treatment I have read. I thought I may have picked it up at one point in January but my doc says no....I don't know if I agrees but whatever it was I sure felt lousy. I don't know if I will ever have the testing done even if the doc thinks I should. I am beginning to think they are wasting a ton of money testing and chasing this thing. It is so contagious that it goes like the wind. I feel it will do its thing and leave when its ready. Meanwhile we need to change our lives for a while and live with it. I always think of the people out on the prairie in the horse and wagons going west and being sick and suffering the whole way. They had to suffer through that and many died. Life can just be crappy at times!!! Take care meirish

SabbraCadabra

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 11:14:49 PM »
I don't know if you have seen the literature that is out about the Covid. They have finally figured out that it is autoimmune in nature.

No I haven't, do you have a link?

meirish

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 12:50:45 AM »
No, I don't have it. I do a lot of research and I think if you do a search saying civid autoimmune you will get some info. It took them awhile to figure out about the autoimmune aspect of the virus. I do believe it was found on the post postmortem. Most of my research is done by making up phrases and using them for a search. Then info that I find can give me info to do another search. One can get lost on line for a long time doing this. Good luck. meirish

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 02:50:55 PM »
I don't have any experience with it yet.

Hi irish😊😊
Susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

SabbraCadabra

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 06:06:40 PM »
...I think if you do a search saying civid autoimmune you will get some info.

The only articles I could find were from way back in April.

jazzlover

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 10:25:12 PM »
I agree irish that it will run its course. We are chasing something we will never find.

There are also articles about COVID and mast cell having a connection. If someone has undiagnosed MCAS, then the cytokine storm will hit hard, seemingly out of the blue.

But it's NOT out of the blue.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:34:15 PM by jazzlover »
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 11:32:43 PM »
I remember reading that they found vasculitis in the lungs of covid victims. This causes the swelling of blood vessels in the lung and causes inability to breath. The patients would be having problems breathing and sometimes they were showing no signs of breathing difficulties and their oxygen saturation would be in the 20's, etc. The doctors can not believe how it affects the vessels and cuts off the oxygen to the lungs.They would put them on a ventilater and sometimes people would recover but more often they would die.

They have learned to give steroids to these people and it will reduce the autoimmune attack by reducing the swelling in the blood vessels in the lungs. Vasculitis is inflammation of the blood vessels in the lung tissue and bronchioles and this is a common problem with many autoimmune diseases. Sometimes the inflammation will affect only the smaller vessels, capillaries, etc. and in other diseases like Wegeners the blood vessels affected are the ones to the lungs and the kidneys, and the larger important organs.

Whoever invented this virus was very, very smart and this virus affects the body in so many ways. There are so many researchers working on this from all over the world that they just may crack this bug. meirish

araminta

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 05:02:14 AM »
^Just curious why you say "whoever invented this virus"?   
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

jazzlover

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 11:35:49 AM »
^Just curious why you say "whoever invented this virus"?

It's not your "ordinary" virus.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 12:40:23 AM »
No, it is not your ordinary virus and suspected or maybe almost proven that China developed it. We will probably never know for sure. Although there is a researcher that defected from China that is in hiding, I believe, and she indicated that it was indeed China. It is one of the most complicated viruses out there from what I have read. meirish

araminta

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 06:20:49 AM »
The U.S. Office of the Director of National Intelligence put out a press release in April asserting their opinion that the virus was not manmade.   

https://www.dni.gov/index.php/newsroom/press-releases/item/2112-intelligence-community-statement-on-origins-of-covid-19

Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

meirish

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 09:55:51 PM »
I have heard that but that does not include the other info that is out there by people who have worked in the labs, etc and around that area. I think it is yet to be proven. It has so many attributes that no other "natural" virus has. It is very interesting in spite of being so dangerous. My opinion. meirish

araminta

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 07:14:21 AM »
Firstly apologies to SabbraCadabra for getting away from her original question here.

Irish, what I was getting at is that a phrase like "The people who made this virus really came up with a vicious, destructive illness ..." seems to be assuming that everyone knows and accepts that it is a manmade virus.   But this is by no means the case, for example the US Office of the Director of National Intelligence doesn't think so, hence my previous post.     

It's the kind of thing I've had pointed out about one of my own posts in another forum.

I won't post any more on this as I worry we're getting a long way from the original question!   Hope you're doing OK Irish in these difficult times.  :)

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 01:16:45 PM »
Science points to this virus is not man made but that it occurred because of wild animals kept in unsanitary conditions in the Wuhan marketplace.  They are thinking it transferred from bats to humans.  I don?t believe in conspiracy theories. 

Anyways, it is here😱

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.