Author Topic: what are options for schooling when school is closed. Any suggestions  (Read 717 times)

meirish

I am just wondering what parents are going to be doing with the schooling issue this fall. Most schools hadn't made up their minds about having school and then the civid has gotten so much worse lately.

My grandchildren are sick and tired of being at home and this online stuff isn't very good the way I see it. Don't get a grade, just a certificate that say you did the work. My grandkids want to go back to school. I have a grandson that will be in 7th grade that has been in the grifted class for 4 years and was to continue and be able to start college classes when he gets in high school. I'm not bragging as smart kids have their own issues as they mature. He is so bored and "bucky" this summer and my son says he needs to go back to school.

Are our kids going to have to hire teachers to tutor the kids in place of online education? What a mess!! Sure welcome for ideas to pass on to my kids. Thanks. meirish

meirish

I got to thinking about the post I did above. I am not trying to make it a political issue. I am concerned because of the issues my 3 kids families had with on line education. These are 2 different school systems 100 miles away and one system is much better than the other. However, both schools had problems with on line education. Schools are not used to doing and dealing with the higher tech computer programming, electronics, whatever as they haven't had the experience of big business.

All my grandkids had days when the online classes were down because of "technical" difficulties and it mad it inconsistent and almost like they (they) the schools didn't take it seriously. However, I know they took it seriously but the schools just were not prepared for this as far as technical people and equipment plus the teachers had to learn how to deal with this and it was hard!!! I

I guess I am still interested in other ways to deal with home or online schooling if anyone has any ideas. meirish

katie1111

Up until this virus struck I was a volunteer teacher at our local county jail.  I found lots of very good educational material on the internet in all subjects.  I think the rise in home schooling had made that possible.  I think if  you do not like the material your kids are getting - try substituting it with the home school stuff.  Much of it is very good.

Katie1111

meirish

There has been a lot of discussion on many of the TV stations about the education done at home via online. It was interesting to me that many teachers had reported that many kids had just dropped out of the online schooling. This education thing is so worrisome as school age "people" don't always have the judgement to realize how necessary an education is.

Will our "people" be able to get jobs with such limited education. This situation reminds me of out on the prairie in the 1800's When the kids/teenagers could only go so many months a year because they had to help home on the farm. So many people on TV from so many organizations and they are getting really panicky about this whole education thing.

Some pediatricians in specialty organizations have said that distancing, masks, etc are enot needed for school. Wash hands, make classrooms a little smaller and increase the air flow in the rooms and get the kids outside a couple of times a day. Would be a good thing to try and see what happens. Sometimes the more knowledge we have about a subject the more we overthink it and get ourselves in deeper trouble. There is risk in life.. Getting out of bed is a risk. Have a good day folks.

This is going to be a long hot month. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
Locally, discussions here have centered around the seeming lack of preparation by one of our neighbouring provinces, in the presence of what appear to be fully prepared and flexible plans in my home province and another neighbouring one. Since 2 weeks after the intiial shutdown of schools in early March, my grands have received weekly assignments packets complete with resource links, video lectures and demos, and video and VOIP connection to teachers on appointment basis, They have been required to complete specific goals and submit their work via email and video, and have all managed to advance their year. They have actually enjoyed it more than the full day in school program complete with long bus commute, and usually finished their weeks work by Wednesday.

The plan for the fall, allowing for outbreaks and required closures at times, is half home based half in school, with student population attending alternate days, and completing similar home assignments as the work they have become accustomed to. There is more concern about the numbers of students on buses than in the schools, our buses are notoriously overcrowded unfortunately.

The local schools have even gone above and beyond with the year end and grad ceremonies, providing inventive and unique celebrations, like "drive up grad", photo-ops with school mascots and teachers at specific times in well decorated outdoor venues, and one principal even hand delivered diplomas to grads in a rural area in a running, relay style hand off, complete with running in his robes! (School has a great presence in the track and field and long distance running community).

The remaining neighbour province promises a plan to be released by the end of July, but that delay can cause problems with parents and teachers both, who have to arrange child care  and so on. We'll see how things go I guess.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

meirish

Linda, Your school system sounds like it has done an excellent job taking care of the students education. Around here it seems there is a lot of moaning and groaning on how we are going to do this and who is going to be responsible for what plus the need for more money by the school systems continues.

We are all in such a tizzy over the covid,  the job issues and changes in employment and income for most people that it seems like things should be done reasonably and with the input of the community. Also, I am a tightwad and I am always upset when everyone wants to spend more money. There are so many ways to save money and with more parents at home I bet the schools could get parents to come and help work with teachers set up students lessons/testing, etc. Evening cutting out projects and testing papers.

The graduation things you mentioned , Linda, sound so neat. It helps us all to be more productive if we don't panic. I heard a program/or read this, that in Canada there is a children hospital (Toronto maybe) that is really a cut above most in the world. The word from them on covid and school is that kids don't need masks or as much social distancing but do need hand washing, etc and lots of reassurance.

WE have to much stuff on TV about this from so many people with different ideas and it confuses the adults. I bet the kids are all in panic mode being around all this. All this bad stuff is happening and I don't think things will change for awhile...in fact getting kids to school will take a lot of pressure off and getting parents back to work will help also. We are all so stressed out that I bet everyones immune system is so out of sync that if someone sneezes on them they get sick.

I think back to the flu of 1918 and I bet people knew so little about what was going on that their stress was less in some ways. They still had to worry about food, chores and taking care of the ill (big things) but they didn't have social media to keep them all stirred up and fighting. My opinion. Humans have the affinity to over talk and over analyze everything and that can get us into trouble. I am guilty of this too!!! meirish

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
My 2 grandkids...a boy 18 and suppose to be a senior this fall and a 15 year old girl suppose to start her freshman year. They are bored.....Been home since March......their parents have been working from home since March as well.

They spend their time on their cell phones texting....watching movies .....sleeping late.

Their school is up in the air on starting this fall. The kids have no motivation to sit at a computer and learn.  Things they normally do aren't open, not even a vacation this year......their parents have run out of ideas to make this lock down fun, entertaining or a educational experience.

I am stunned and amazed by the way things are and can see how kids can get themselves in trouble without structure, goals, etc....

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Linda196

• Administrator
My grands (11, 14 and 16)  have surprised me with how accepting they have been of this situation.

It doesn't hurt that they weren't "scholars" to begin with, and always learned better on their own than in a structured school environment, happier looking things up in books or online or being shown, rather than being lectured.

We live in a rural area, and when we were opened up to combining two households in a "bubble" they were lucky enough to  be able to partner with a nearby farm family with 9 kids, all who have been home schooled off and on their whole lives. The kids range in ages around my three, and their BFFs are included , as well as my oldest's boyfriend. As a result, this has become the year of "Real Life Studies" as they have learned to plant and tend huge gardens, care for livestock (including attending births and dealing with stillbirths), butcher, prepare and preserve meat (including bear!), prepare food for crowds, clear land, budget time and money, and drive a tractor! "Recess" is a swim in the brook, a hike up the mountain, a picnic in the fields, or a bareback ride on a horse. just whenever they happen

In the course of all these activities, they've discovered that they need to be able to read and interpret, do maths, communicate with strangers, understand some basic science, and know the History of their area, so they've researched as well! They have also realized that, when you have work that needs to be done, and animals waiting for you , screen time and frivolous online pastimes are limited! They have also found that, when you do have quiet time, doing something creative with your hands is just as satisfying as "gramming" or "facetiming" and you eventually have something to show for it. They have variously tried knitting, crocheting, painting, jewellery making, clay work (with river clay they collected themselves), and woodburning, and the oldest wants to try her hand at model car making.

I refer to this as their year of foreign studies, the foreign place being the real world!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

meirish

Liinda, Your grandkids had the ultimate locking, I think. My 2 grandsons 10 and 12 have been bored some of the time, but their dad is also laid off and has been doing a lot of projects around the house and their 8 acres.

They could do more but darned if many of these kids these days are not very good at entertaining themselves.

My 16 year old grandson has been working in his parent's marine business for "free" as his dad is to buy him a car as pay. They found an old Edsel and it is going to be a lot of work for son and grandson. But, grandson is so darned excited.

It is so hard these days to get kids moving. When our boys were home in school they were never in the house. We lived on 7 acres with only black and white TV for many years. They didn't watch much TV anyway. I wish I had followed them around for a week or so to see what they did keep busy with. I know fixing motorcycles, old junker cars, snowmobiles, etc anything that ran. Plus, they had to do chores as like feed the lambs, clean the barn, clean the chicken coop, feed the chickens, etc. All sorts of things that made them moan and groan and whine.

My hubby was a farm boy and could really keep those boys busy. Nobody slept late at our house. Boys stayed out late on weekends when they were older by hubby was waking them up at 7 AM to get up to work on a project. That doesn't happen as much in this day in age cause the darned internet and phone entered out lives.

It is really hard for our kids to work and keep the kids busy. Glad I am not doing it anymore. I used to moan and groan a lot too cause as Mom I would have to keep tabs on the boys and often work with them to keep them going. You know what, I would love to feel good enough to do some of that stuff now. :o  Are we ever happy??? Thanks for the good info. meirish

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
While not part of their normal courses, I got my grand sons a course in computer programming, and one in electronics. As they ask, I provide tech support. Are there crafts that you can teach your children or grand kids?
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

meirish

Re: what are options for schooling when school is closed. Any suggestions
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 01:52:52 AM »
Well, fall is almost here and school will soon be starting. In my town in southern mn the schools will be 3/2 the way I understand it. In person class alternating with on line class. The on line sure isn't acceptable but is the only way for now. Thankful to just be getting back to school.

Minnesota has had an increase in Covid and has had an increase in deaths. We aren't doing a big increase but an increase just the same. I would imagine that things could get a little tough down the road and the only option would be to close down for a period of ti,e....I would think weeks could help but do believe that this would affect counties differently. My county just had its first death a few weeks ago.

There have been counties with a couple deaths of people in early 30's but large per cent age are nursing home patients. So, the school issue is at least heading in the right direction. It seems this year has been a fight for so many issues. There will be a lot of books written. Good luck and stay safe. meirish