Author Topic: I have SJS and RA, now husband had heart attack  (Read 504 times)

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
I have SJS and RA, now husband had heart attack
« on: July 04, 2020, 05:05:56 PM »
Hi all.

I have had sms and RA for 10 years. Been on disability for 5 years. My eyes and mouth are fine, mostly fatigue and wrist/ankle pain.

Yesterday my husband , in front of me had a heart attack, we were in the basement. I called 911, stayed with him to wait, he stayed conscious. He was nearly dead when they pulled up to hospital. He had nearly complete blockage of his left anterior descending (LAD) . I was told they call it the widow maker.

Here it is 24 hours later he has 4 stents now, on Brilinta (spelling?). Still having chest pain, maybe bc the hearts sac/pericardium is inflamed. He is getting morphine and toradol for the chest pain. On O2.His liver function was not good, they are 're running it today along with another heart ultrasound.

Have not gotten an answer yet on what level of damage it maybe. I missed the Dr today, nurses aren't saying much.

He was suppose to go into the step down unit tonight but now they are still going to keep him in ICU. Yesterday he was reflective, realized he almost died and told me he always worried something like this may incompacitate him someday. Today he was argumentive, going back to work next week, going back to his work shop and work on his car restoration project, mow,etc.....

Of course....I am worried, tired, can't sleep and my right hip which has been quiet for a year or more started in today with pain.

Is his behavior normal??????

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

trc1962

Re: I have SJS and RA, now husband had heart attack
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 07:29:18 PM »
Wow you sure have a lot on your plate right now and I am hoping things turn around for you soon. My dad has 7 stints due to severe atheroslclerosis and he has had some redone lately (they last about 10 years) and he is doing very good, feeling much better and I would encourage you. He is 81 now and still going strong. Hope his liver is okay and the swelling goes down. Hope also that you begin to feel better and that you both can experience some better days ahead.

araminta

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 02:38:06 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear your news, Shelly, you are probably still in shock after all that has happened.

Not quite the same, but my father was very much like your husband.   After a major stroke he was wanting to start driving again when he could hardly walk, luckily his leg was too stiff for him to manage to get into the car, and eventually he realised that driving was out of the question.

I think you probably have to be patient with your husband, he is clearly very upset and just wanting his life to be back on track.  Try not to have a big argument, which could just get you both even more stressed.    Could you have a quiet word with his doctor and ask him/her to spell out to your husband in fairly graphic terms the risks involved in trying to rush his recovery?

Also maybe try to be positive, say yes of course you'll be able to do those things in due course, but you need to give your body time to recover first.

Finally, take good care of yourself,  ask for some help with the pain and the sleep issue.

Kindest wishes.

Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

jazzlover

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear this. I bet it was VERY scary!!

I agree that it would be a good idea to let the doctor know what he has been saying. It's probably fairly normal. I have heard of many who have had heart attacks to become very depressed afterward, so beware of that possibility too.

I would say it's a pretty normal reaction too .. a very devastating situation, esp for men.

He could be reacting to the medications they are giving him so it's a good idea to keep the doctor up to date on his moods and reactions.

Best of luck to you .. and keep us posted on how he is doing.

Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 12:48:17 AM »
I am so sorry that this had to happen. We get older and plan for things in future and then something like this happens. Sounds like he is getting good care. Just to let you know, it is common to me in shock after an event like this. I am speaking of your husband and then it is so common for anger and mood swings to hit. Illness is always harder on men it seems.

Women deal with "female" issues, D & C's. childbirth and all sorts of stuff all the while taking care of the rest of the family. Dealing with things that ruin our day is part of our DNA. Men don't like things unplanned to happen that interferes with things as they feel they must always be in control and taking care of the family.

I hope that he can settle down enough to rest and get some sleep. Also hope that his liver tests normalize. Take care of yourself so you don't get too rundown. You will have a lot on your plate. Keep us posted on how things are going. Good luck and God Bless. meirish

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 06:26:26 PM »
I am sorry your husband experienced this. I have 6 stints over 3 incidents. The fear and depression can overwhelm and hinder recovery. Follow the exercise program prescribed. If the hospital has the program in house use that one for best results. I use omega3 to reduce my cholesterol. I still take all meds that I am not allergic to. There are methods to create endorphins, like 6oz carrot juice, or a TENS unit.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 05:10:45 AM »
Dear Shelly,

I'm so sorry this has happened.

My LAD (Widow Maker) was 95% blocked when it was diagnosed, and in all I had three angioplasties and two stents.  This was over 20 years ago.  I did NOT have a heart attack...which was a miracle:  just agonizing angina which I thought was heartburn.

Even without a heart attack, the experience was life changing for me.  It takes a long time to 'recover' from the experience.

Know that we are thinking of you and your husband.

Love, Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 10:51:04 AM »
So sorry you are going through this.

Yes, his behavior is normal. My husband has stage four cancer and his moods are all over the place. I'm guessing it must be similar to your husband. Some days it's angry denial and other days calm acceptance. Some days he swears he's going to continue working 'til he drops dead on the job and others that he exhausted and just wants to take early retirement. It's all human nature -- and hard for us as their loved ones to predict.

For now, there's not much you can do but be there for him and try to manage your own disease. Try to continue to eat well, plenty of liquids, take your meds, rest as much as you can and find someone (friend, family, clergy) to help bear some of the stress. Don't be afraid to speak to the hospital social worker or clergy.

We are thinking of you. Wishing you both peace and strength.
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 62
Difficulty swallowing, fibromyalgia, burning mouth, GERD, anxiety, dry, dry, dry!
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...