Author Topic: A Baby Boomer Life  (Read 1494 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
A Baby Boomer Life
« on: February 25, 2020, 12:58:03 PM »
Hi - I am a baby boomer, born in the late 1950's.  (Wow, just typing that sounds soooo long ago!)

Growing up I had always heard my grandma and my parents talk about all the changes that had happened in their lifetime.  As they got older themselves, technology kept bringing new and different things into their lives.  As a baby boomer in my early 60's, I have seen technology keep bringing new and different things to my life - as it did to my grandma and my parents.  Our son, a Generation Z - even he has commented how much things have changed in the world in his lifetime even in his mid 20's.

For myself, I have to admit that sometimes I feel like I have been left behind in this technology boom.  When people start talking computer lingo and all the features of their computer, laptop, tablet, or the capabilities of their phones, etc., I'm lost.  Our cell phones are just the basics, not all the bells and whistles (which I'm fine with).

Remember a house phone (or landline as they're called)?  Yup, I still have one at my home.  (Although, we should consider getting rid of it as the only ones who usually call are telemarketers  ::). )  I don't like being tied to my cell phone all the time.  People go into panic mode when they forget their cell at home, or their battery is low, or they don't get a response right away from a text message.  It's a two edged sword - you can be in contact with people hundreds and thousands of miles away in a nano second, it's convenient to use a cell from your vehicle while you travel (versus looking for a pay phone like years ago), but, you can also spend waaaay too much time sending texts, photos, doing face time, not to mention using all the apps people use.

Very seldom can you go somewhere where you don't see a cell phone sitting out on the table, or being held in a person's hand, or shoved into their back pocket.  It's the way of life in the year 2020.

There have been times where I just want to turn my phone off, and leave it off.  I don't want to be tied to my phone 24/7.  It used to be an unwritten rule that most people didn't call before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.  Now, you can get phone calls or texts any time of the day or night.  I've been woke up many times from family that live in other time zones sending texts early in the morning or late at night.

Ahhh, technology.

This thread is going to be about the changes in a Baby Boomer's life.  I've got a whole bunch of things to discuss.  If you're a boomer too, please join in the conversation.

Until next time,
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: A Baby Boomer Life
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 04:42:20 PM »
Count me in Bucky! I'm a boomer too. Wow! The changes in our life time .... the changes within my kids' lifetimes!

My grandparents and my parents were both 'old parents' and my grandparents were born in the 1870s. How things have changed since then!!

Thankfully my grandmother embraced the technology of her time and was an avid photographer. She developed her own pictures.

I'll look forward to keeping an eye on this thread.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

sixty

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:41:05 PM »
How easy it is now to find anything out.  You can ask any question on line and get an answer right away.  You can learn how to do just about anything.  I remember using the encyclopedia to learn about the world, as it was state of the art in the 50's and 60's.  I love the internet part of progress.  I love having my curiosity quenched immediately.

Cricket

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 05:36:22 PM »
I am also a baby boomer.  We were just talking about how ars have changed.   The crank windows, seat belts, most guys could change their own oil and due a tune up.  We had maps no GPS.  And we all managed to get where we were going.

We still have a land line phone, as we only have 1 cell phone so if my husband is gone he’s got it.  I hate using that cell phone!  How about telephone booths  I made my kids put a quarter in their shoes in case of emergency.

I must admit I sure do miss those days!
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

Liz D.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 05:12:31 AM »
One thing I don’t miss about the early days is having to get off the couch to change the channel on the tv....by turning that clunky dial! Of course, it’s probably added to the obesity issue that we have today.

I still wish that life was simpler like those days.
56 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 11:16:00 AM »
My head isn't awake to be able to post on this thread yet, but....some time ago I was ust cursing the web as they say and I ran across a place where they had listed all the inventions, etc for each year plus the events that happened. I had copied down the year I was married but do't know where I put it. You might be able to do a search to find this article. Man it was interesting.

The thing I do remember about 1964 was there was no microwave and portable radios were a big deal. Color TV was just coming in to people who could afford it. My kids and grandkids can't believe how depraved we were back then. When I tell them you could buy a used car that ran and looked fairly good for 60 bucks they are astounded. Such interesting stuff. Irish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:40:45 AM »
Well, boomers, what a drastic change in all of our day-to-day life that has transpired since my first post on this thread!!!  Wow!! :o :o

I know in my last post I mentioned about how modern technology has just taken over our lives and how I didn't like some of the changes.  Well, thankfully due to modern technology, people are able to remotely work from home to "social distance" themselves from others right now.  Years ago, this would not have been possible.

I can just imagine the stories my parents and mother-in-law would share today of yesteryear if they were still living as this pandemic has hit.  In the past, I've heard the stories of how hard times were for them growing up when the depression hit.  They survived and learned to stretch food and resources to meet their needs. We've been spoiled by all the modern conveniences and will have to adjust our lifestyles.  We'll survive this too.

Getting back to some of your comments on this thread:

How easy it is now to find anything out.  I love the internet part of progress.  I love having my curiosity quenched immediately.
  Sixty - I do too!  If you want to know something right away, just check on-line and you can have it answered.

most guys could change their own oil and due a tune up.  We had maps no GPS.  And we all managed to get where we were going.

How about telephone booths  I made my kids put a quarter in their shoes in case of emergency.
  It was the "norm" to see my dad and uncles all gathered around a vehicle with the hood up as they changed the oil, spark plugs, or tinkered under the hood or underneath the vehicle.  Today with all the electronic gear on vehicles you can't fix it yourself, it has to go to the dealership and be hooked up to diagnostic equipment ($$$).

I still order and use paper maps when traveling - there have been many times when we had no reception where we were at and a GPS would be useless. 

Here in our local community someone has one of those old fashioned phone booths outside their home.  I wonder if the phone inside actually works??

One thing I don’t miss about the early days is having to get off the couch to change the channel on the tv....by turning that clunky dial!
  Oh yeah - child labor when we had to change the channel for mom and dad.   ;D  Ha, THEY controlled the tV and everyone didn't have their own in the house like they do now.  How about the garage door openers?  Again, child labor in the rain, snow, whatever the weather was.  When I was growing up, most homes only had a one-car garage - today, there are multi-car garages on homes.  There's a house I pass in the area that has a 4-car garage!!  (of course, probably one of those garage doors has all the riding mowers, weed eaters, snowblowers, gardening tools, bikes, snowmobile, ski-doo, boats, kids toys, etc.).  Growing up my car sat outside and I would have to scrape off the ice/snow and run out there in the pouring rain, etc.

I ran across a place where they had listed all the inventions, etc for each year plus the events that happened. Man it was interesting.The thing I do remember about 1964 was there was no microwave and portable radios were a big deal. Color TV was just coming in to people who could afford it. My kids and grandkids can't believe how depraved we were back then. When I tell them you could buy a used car that ran and looked fairly good for 60 bucks they are astounded.

Irish, if you find the name of that place, let me know, I'd like to look at it.  I found online years ago something similar to that if you put in the year.  In fact, I made a booklet for this man from church for his 90th birthday that showed him all the events of his life through the years - he really enjoyed it.

I miss my little transistor radio I use to have.  Back then, no music devices like they have now!

We tell our son about "used vehicles" back in our day and how you could buy a really nice one for less than $500 bucks.  Today $500 bucks for a used vehicle would probably buy you a steering wheel.   ;)

Well, this post is waaay too long for today - so I'll end here.  But we'll continue this thread and share our experiences along the way.

Take care and do what you can to protect yourself from illness as we deal with the COVID-19.
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:12:48 PM »
Okay, I am a boomer. I have camped in a ten covered in snow. I have built outhouses and hand drilled wells. I have used a wood cook stove that I chopped wood for. I have hand pumped and hauled water by hand.

I have collected old BW TV's from the curb and repaired them to sell or give away. I have cut and constructed my own TV antennas to watch stations 500miles away. I have designed, built, and programmed computers.

I saw Lee Oswald shot live. I enlisted to avoid the draft rather than going to Canada to live with my blood brothers family. I used to climb small cliffs (50-75 foot) on motor cycle to see how far I could jump at full throttle.  I have scuba dived.

I have two daughters and five grandsons. My wife and I own our own home and car. We are living on our pesions.

Sjogren's is just a challenging blip in a full life.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

meirish

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 01:45:50 PM »
I don't know if I am a baby boomer or not, but I just took one of those tests on phone and it said my mental sage is 35-37. Now I am 77 so that made be feel good.lol  Actually, I would have rather had a 37 year olds body and a 77 yr old mind.   Such is life!!   8)

meirish
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:49:48 PM by meirish »

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 02:44:53 PM »
Hello - it's been many months since this thread started . . . WOW, what changes we've all gone through in the past six months!!  I never dreamed we'd ever experience all the things we have this year . . . definitely not how I imaged 2020 would be!

What seemed to throw everything off was the "shut down" was talked about being temporary - two weeks . . . which has now rolled into six months with no end in the immediate future.  Everything is definitely not "normal" like it was back in January or February.

For myself, I was out of work from mid March until June.  The company I work for has been hit hard by the closure and so many restrictions now that we're open.  As a restaurant and wedding/event venue so many of our weddings, receptions, parties, reunions, etc., have been either cancelled or postponed until 2021.  This time of year we should be hustling with multiple events each weekend and busy with outings during the week.  Not this year!  I'm not sure they can keep operating if we are only allowed so many people per event.  I've worked there going on 10 years in November - I would hate to lose this job, as I like my job.  I know I am fortunate to be back at work, I'm sorry for those who are still without jobs or have had to deal with closing of businesses.

Like many of you, my family has had to cancel plans and reservations we've had made since the beginning of the year.  Events we were really looking forward to this year - which are not happening this year.   :(

This whole year has stressed so many people out.  I don't think our bodies and minds are designed to handle such long term stress.  Under "normal" circumstances, stress can last for a short period of time - a couple days, or weeks, or a few months . . . not month after month after month like we've been experiencing.  Having Sjogren's on top of it, can only add to more stress.  I hope everyone is taking care of themselves physically and emotionally allowing some time to focus on yourselves and not everything that is happening around us that we have no control over (I know, easier said than done . . . but, if we don't take care of ourselves, we are no good to anyone else.) I'm talking about a mere 10 minutes for YOU . . . time to do nothing, listen to your favorite music, go for a walk, take a long shower/bath, meditate, pray, journal, or whatever it is that brings you happiness.

As the school year is just starting many families are having to juggle many things - jobs, kids learning remote some days / in-person school other days, daycare, etc.  I don't have any young kids any more - I can't imagine what all you parents/grandparents are going through trying to navigate it all.  Hang in there - lean on friends/family to help if they can.

For this thread, I don't want to focus on this pandemic (or upcoming election - which is a hot topic, and not allowed on our forum) - it consumes so much of our day-to-day life right now as it is.  I want to think of something else besides all that is currently going on.  I do want to get back to talking about us Baby Boomers and the changes (good or bad) that we've observed in our lifetime.

Our internet at home was down for three weeks - ugh, I felt so cut off from everybody and everything.  Now, we're back up and running and hopefully, I can get on here more often.

I'll be back soon . . . take care and stay healthy.

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 01:46:15 PM »
Hi - I hope this finds you well and coping with the ever changing life that has been a part of 2020 for the past six months.

Today's topic is going to be:  Things that use to be the rage, which aren't any more.

Glassware - by that I mean relish trays that you would put pickles, olives, etc. on; cute little trays that you would put cheese & crackers on; sugar and creamer containers; glass platters that you would put meat and cheeses on, etc.  Many times when my grandmother or mother was having a party, out came the glassware with all the food on them set on the table. 

I have several of these little glassware pieces that I use on occasion (not very often) - it reminds me of my grandmother and mother.

I mentioned this on another older post from a couple years ago, that on my 60th birthday I was visiting my home state and some relatives had a surprise birthday party for me while I was in town.  A gift I got from my aunt was a large glass platter that was the platter that my parents wedding cake was on when they got married in 1950.  I didn't even know about this platter, so I was thrilled it was gifted to me.  (I wish she would have given it to me years before for MY wedding cake.)  This platter is big and heavy - I have used it a couple of times since it was given to me, but most of the time it sits in the pantry.  However, I wouldn't get rid of it - some things are just like that, you hang on to them for the memories.

Punch bowls - again, any party I went to growing up, there on the table was a punch bowl.  I have one in a box in the basement - last used?, I have no idea.  Most punch bowls also had the glass cups to go with them. 

Cedar chests - use to be where the keepsakes were kept to be handed down to the generations.  Some girls were given a cedar chest by their parents and would place items in there for their future marriage (hope chest).

Lace tablecloths - from any event I can ever remember at my grandmothers house, she always had a lace tablecloth on the table.  Some were handmade, and others store bought.  I use to have a lace tablecloth on my dining room table, but I no longer have it on there.

China cabinets and buffets -  again, some of these were handed down generation from generation and housed special dinnerware and specialty pieces to be used for parties and get-togethers.

I see a lot of these china cabinets & buffets on the sale pages now.  The rage now is to paint these pieces.  Some of the repurposed pieces are pretty, but I don't think I could paint them when they are heirlooms or antiques.  Some buffets they take out the drawers and just leave them as open space.

Well, this is a good place to stop for today - I've got more things to post about soon. 

What do you think about the above items?  Do you have any of them?  Do you still use them?

Stay well,
Bucky

meirish

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 02:29:10 AM »
My gosh, Bucky, you sure went through a good list of old things to remember. I had my 6 hour infusion today and had the 500 mgm of IV steroids and that plus the infusion keeps me up really late on these nights. I am too pooped to think a whole lot but...speaking of radios, I have not found a good radio since the portable I had for many years died. It was so easy to operate and was user friendly.

I have one now for many years that is oval shaped with a disc player and many other features and I still can't operate it. I keep there instruction book in my dresser so I can see what is did wrong. My dad gave me one of the first transistor radios for graduation back in 1964. It was brown leather and had a carry strap. I loved that radio. All the simple things are so much nicer. Or so we old timers think.

How many items have you gone to purchase and want one like you had earlier. The big thing is.....washing machines!!! My sears lasted about 30+ years as hubby could change the water pump and controls, and the one I bought next fell apart in 3 years. So I went to Maytags. That one lasted around 15 years and when it died guess what? the "he" was coming into its own. I had to buy the newer kind. It was terrible. I had it about 3 years and gave it to one of the boys when I moved to town. By then they decided maybe these machines weren't so hot. I have a Maytag that is more user friendly but I always say that it takes water to wash clothes. Plus, the government doesn't need to fix machines so they only use so much water as I am smart enough to make that decision myself. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Also, anyone remember those little wind alarm clocks that were made in gold and si think blue and pink and were a clear hard thick plastic. I got a gold one for Christmas when I was 10 years old and had it many years. It broke and I threw it out only to see it oh so many times in thrift shops over the years. So many things we all had years ago that have been put in thrift shops when people died or downsized. The coffee pots...the croning 6 cup white with blue flowers for stove top. Now I wish I still had mine. The electric frying pans that were one of the first electric kitchen appliances. Every bride got one for a gift for years. How about the deep fryers that first came out. I had one but it was too much work, I just did the french fries on top of the stove in oil I just reused for several more times.

Last one..how about the little wing windows in the front doors of the old cars. The need to put those back in cars, they were so great to keep open when it got cold to keep the windows defrosted. If you had a bad heater you could still drive without having to open your big front window. So many good new things but so many of them are all over with in a few years and there they sit wasting away in our homes. Be anxious to hear more from others. So many memories of those by gone years. meirish

sixty

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 04:38:36 PM »
I grew up in houses with milk chutes.  Little doors in the wall the milkman would put our gallon of milk and we could access it from inside the kitchen.  They were so cute and I wish I had one now just for fun.  I remember Golden Guernsey chocolate milk was so delicious!  It came in the glass bottles.

meirish

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 12:39:41 AM »
Oh, I had to stop and think what a ilk chute was. Now I remember. Such a great idea. I also remember back in the 40's and early 50's having my mother save the thinner cardboard cover on the glass bottles. I think I had to take them to Sunday school or school for something. Saving labels sure started years ago.

Just a side remark. I keep reading that the powers that be have been thinking about making milk in glass bottles. At least some types of milk. The cardboard cartons are piling up with the disposable diapers. Also, the grocery prices have gone up big time in just the last week all over my grocery store. I sure wish we could get bread for 4 loaves for a dollar like we did 50 years ago. Take care meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 03:22:48 AM »
I remember milk in a glass bottle on the doorstep in February with frozen cream pushing up from the top curling over. You put out as many  empty (washed) bottles as you wanted bottles delivered, with prepurchased tickets, or you could put the change out on the doorstep, it stayed there until the milkman picked it up. Some of the bottles were beautifully embossed with the dairy name, and are quite collectible now. Our milk man originally had a closed cart pulled by a horse, and we would follow him up the block with a nickle or an empty pint bottle, to get a pint of chocolate milk! For some reason it wasn't as much fun when he bought a motorized van LOL

I also remember the ice wagon at our summer place, delivering huge blocks for the iceboxes. The iceman could chip out a square just about the right size as the box, and pick it up with big curved tongs, and hand out the smaller chunks to the kids as a treat.

And the old wringer washers! There was a talent to wringing the clothes, feeding just the right piece in at just the right time to have a continuous sheet of tightly compressed clothing come out the other side in a seemingly solid piece, then pulling it apart and shaking it hard to get it ready for the line. And there was a science to the clothes line as well, whites first and all together according to size, longest first tapering to short then coloured clothes next, starting with short and tapering up to long, to have the shortest pieces hanging in the middle of the line where it swooped down lowest(of course you would have a forked pole to prop it up) And "unmentionables" hung between sheets or pillowcases to preserve modesty!

Old phone numbers with a letter exchange and 4 digits, on a party line so if you couldn't remember who you called, your neighbours could! One place my dad worked had a switchboard operator, named Mrs Lawlor, who let me "work" with her. Luckily her husband, the boss, liked me, because i "pulled the plug" on his calls, more than once!

And of course, my childhood aspiration- elevator operator! The really good ones made those cages glide, and stopped exactly level to the floor with no jerks! The one I admired most had such a graceful way of reaching out tot he accordion door and sliding it back to let people in or out.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld