Author Topic: progesterone cream warning  (Read 781 times)

bluegardenia

progesterone cream warning
« on: December 20, 2019, 04:57:53 PM »
I used some progesterone cream that I saw here and my endometrium became thicker. I just used half of a pea two or three times a week but my gyno wanted me to make an intravaginal ultrasound to check because this could be one of the side effects of progesterone and that happened.... pay attention!!!
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: progesterone cream warning
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 12:15:03 AM »
Good thing your doc was on the ball. Irish

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »
I started estradiol cream 0.01% 8 weeks ago for atrophied vaginitis. I use a pea size amount twice a week. I too read the med insert and asked her questions at my follow up appt. She foo-fooled my concerns. Said the
cream stays locale, not systemic .

Hmmm.......I'm pretty sure this cream would be systemic like a pain patch, nicotine patch,  birth control
you insert under the skin on the arm. etc..

I do understand all meds, even an aspirin, comes with a risk., and that these pharmacy have to mention
everything and anything possible.

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 08:41:04 AM »
H'mmm sounds like our medics have their own stance on hormones!

When I developed endometriosis my gynaecologist said it was due to high levels of estrogen (mine were off the charts!) and it had taken more than 3 decades before it got this far. Eventually I had 5 large fibroids removed in 2014 but kept my uterus. Now I'm in menopause and estrogen levels have fallen drastically. My gynaecologist says I'm in the clear for endometriosis.

@Shelly: I agree, I also think once the active compound in the cream hits the bloodstream it becomes systemic. Do you notice any difference in our symptoms?
52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 5% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Deb 27

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 03:55:02 PM »
bluegardenia,
Wow, they usually prescribe progesterone to prevent thickening of the endometrium, so I sure don't get it. That's what they prescribe to me, anyway, but it's a pill called Prometrium. I've also had thickening. I'd ask them to check your blood levels of hormones.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

eye2dry

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 07:05:20 PM »
Maria3667

Yes, I feel 95% better. Thanks for asking.

Shelly

Maria3667

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
Maria3667

Yes, I feel 95% better. Thanks for asking.

Shelly

Hi Shelly,
Glad to hear estrogen is helping you! Could you please detail which symptoms have improved? Also, no side effects like weight gain and/or increased anxiety? (my top 2 adverse effects!).
52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 5% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

eye2dry

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 09:21:59 PM »
Yes, Maria.
Painful sex. A nagging feeling like a bladder infection but UAs negative.  Dryness to labial area. K Y jelly or
Vagasil suppositories didn't help much.

Estrogen cream took burning pain away, sex more comfortable, dryness feeling decreased.

No side effects noted so far.

Hope this helps.

Shelly

Maria3667

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »
Hi Shelly,

Glad to hear it's abating some of your symptoms!

But do you also notice improvement for dry mouth & eyes? I remember estrogen helped me with eye moisture, but decreased saliva. Side effects were not so favourable (anxiety, depression, insomnia, constipation, weight gain - my usual top 5).

eye2dry

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 04:51:56 PM »
Hi Maria.

I have not noticed an improvement with my dry eyes. I think that the small pea sized amount of cream I use
doesn't have enough punch. I have noticed no side effects either. Vaginal dryness has really been helped.

Shelly