Author Topic: Prolotherapy - looking for information and advice  (Read 1143 times)

Carebear

Prolotherapy - looking for information and advice
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:57:54 PM »
Dear Friends,

I have been receiving trigger point injections of 2% Lidocaine plus Dry Needling on muscles in my neck, shoulders and upper back since October.  Along side these treatments is intensive physiotherapy. 

I have seen much improvement these last five months, through lots of hard work on my part as well as my fantastic medical team.  BUT, an area in my rhomboids are still so painful that we suspect there may be small tears in the muscle that either never healed or didn't heal correctly.

Next month if there is no improvement I will have an ultrasound.  If there are tears, the team is recommending Prolotherapy.  I need to learn more about this therapy from all of you, dear friends.  If you have personal or professional experience with Prolotherapy, I would like to hear from you.  I understand the mechanics of it, but I wonder if this is something I should speak with my rheumy about?  Thanks in advance.

Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Prolotherapy - looking for information and advice
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 05:03:53 AM »
Wikipedia has an interesting post on the topic.there are side effects and counter indications to consider. I would ask about the success rate of this proceedure. Remember that doctors consider a proceedure a success if you remain thesame or get better.

Injecting an irritant into inflamed joints and ligaments is a procedure I would have questions about.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carebear

Re: Prolotherapy - looking for information and advice
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 08:41:15 AM »
Thanks for that, Joe.  I agree that this requires a lot of education and consideration.  I think I will contact my rheumy as well.  He may not have much experience with this, but it is worth the call.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.