Author Topic: Bad taste in mouth: prednisone or salivary gland infection?  (Read 2141 times)

A Mom on Spin

• Amazon.com/author/lizwilkey
    • She's Come Undun
Bad taste in mouth: prednisone or salivary gland infection?
« on: January 18, 2016, 03:38:17 PM »
Hello all ~

My rheumy put me on prednisone for the first time two weeks ago due to a post-Christmas flare and painful swollen glands behind my ears and under my jaw.

Now, although I'm amazed at how my joint pain has improved on just 10 mg, that pill is getting harder and harder to swallow each morning because of the terrible taste it seems to leave in my mouth all day long.   Now today I find that my sense of taste is completely altered and everything tastes horrible!   

The pred has done nothing to help my swollen glands so wondering if this horrid taste in my mouth is due to the prednisone or a salivary gland infection.  In blood work taken at my visit, there was no increase in white blood count and I've not had a fever.

How can I tell what's causing this?  Anyone been through this before????

Liz
www.mysjogrenslife.blogspot.com
https://www.amazon.com/author/lizwilkey
Primary SJS. RA & lupus. Positive ANA, SSA, anti-phospholipid Antibodies. Large and small fiber peripheral neuropathy

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
Re: Bad taste in mouth: prednisone or salivary gland infection?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »
It can be hard to tell. I've sometimes had a taste change with prednisone that makes things taste metallic.

However, if you still have the swollen glands, you still need to contact the doctor who is treating you, and ask, "What next?". 

I'm guessing you've already tried hot compresses, and salivary gland massage, and using lemon drops to try to get some flow.

Some of the options for your doctor include repeating the tests for infection, doing a scan to look for salivary stones, and looking at the glands again, especially to see if you have any weird discharge.

Let us know how it goes.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

gurs

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 04:20:42 AM »
Uhmmm..cant understand why prednisone would leave a bad taste in your mouth all day long? I take it too everyday, and know its bitter, but maybe you have something going on with your tummy or something?

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

hpycamper

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 08:32:31 AM »
There is a taste nerve that runs through your middle ear, maybe just maybe the swollen salivary glands are possibly putting pressure on part of that nerve???  I have had to search for the reason for my bad taste and finally found an ear doctor that diagnosed the problem.  Mine though is caused by ear problems.   I am currently on prednisone for Sjogrens but haven't had any change in the taste.  Hope this helps!