Author Topic: The Purple Heart  (Read 1614 times)

Seeker

• Proud to serve
The Purple Heart
« on: March 09, 2016, 06:21:23 AM »
Good day all.  I have a little story to tell.  My uncle Cecil, served as a Marine, in WW2.  He was wounded in action during the Battle of Okinawa May of 1945.  After he healed from his injuries, he was stationed in China.  In 1946, he was discharged.

As what happened to many Veterans of that time, they were just given there severance pay and booted out with not even a thank you for your service.  My uncle Cecil, got married and worked as an auto mechanic until he retired.  After his wife died, he moved to an assisted living faculty. 

Every Sunday, I call my Uncle to see how he is doing.  About 6 Months ago, we were talking about his service during WW2, I was shocked to find out he never was awarded a Purple Heart for being wounded in action. He was very bitter about that. 

After that call, I contacted my Cousin Joan.  When I told her about, Uncle Cecil never receiving a Purple Heart, we both decided to do something about it.

After many weeks of research, we found documents, that showed he should have been awarded the Purple Heart.  Many more weeks later, My Uncle Cecil at a ceremony, attended by Senators, Veterans groups, family and reporters, was officially awarded his Purple Heart.

My Uncle, is one of many WW2 veterans, who are among the forgotten heros.  There are very few living WW2 veterans.  If you have a relative, or family friend, who served.  Do some research, find out if they may be one of the forgotten heros of WW2.  Help them get the recognition that they deserve, before they pass on.

Seeker     

Every day is an adventure, waiting to happen.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: The Purple Heart
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 09:52:41 PM »
Seeker - I'm glad you and your cousin, Joan, were able to research and get the honor and recognition your Uncle Cecil so deserved.  I'm sure the award of the Purple Heart will mean more to your Uncle than you will ever know.

Bless you for calling and keeping in contact with your Uncle - I'm sure that means a lot to him.

Next time you talk to your Uncle, please tell him thank you for his service from me. 

Hugs,
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: The Purple Heart
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 05:28:36 AM »
I am glad he found resolution. My dad was a member of the 101st aire borne. (Band of Brothers) I saw his purple heart and several stars at my grand mothers house once. I have not seen them since. He refered to them as pieces of worthles metal. Yes he was wounded. Yes he killed germans. He was haunted the rest of his life by each of those deaths. He never called himself a hero. He was proud to serve in a company of heros. For him he was just doing a job that need to be done.

Thank you to all those that served! Those that came home and those that did not. We are in their debt. Their awards, mean little next to the respect and honor we owe them.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism