Author Topic: a 3 day party for 915 of your closest friends.  (Read 2815 times)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
a 3 day party for 915 of your closest friends.
« on: March 12, 2015, 03:22:23 PM »
I am done as chair for MarsCon.org a Sci-Fi and Fantasy convention in Bloomington, MN. The month long build up of cistanchi helped give me the energy to make it through. I had a very good team that took care of most of the work. I believe it was a success as we had 227 registrations for next year.

Saturday morning I slipped and fell in the shower. It took 20 minutes before my circulation system was able to move the pooling blood from my feet. The tub surface was so slick that I could not get up. Eventually I was able to control my breathing enough to pull myself over the side of the tub and onto the floor.

I did not move much the rest of the day. I was more mobile Sunday. I was doing good by my Dr appointment on Wednesday.

Thank you's have been sent. The convention treasurer should now if we broke even by the middle of april.

We had 9 tracks of programming from 10am to 1am. We also had 12 tracts of 24hr game programming. I believe we had 20 party rooms, a consuite and Snarky's cafe. Costumes, music, dance, art, props, alnd lots of other activities.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carebear

Re: a 3 day party for 915 of your closest friends.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 05:37:51 PM »
That's an impressive accomplish, Joe.  I did some reading on line about MarsCon.  What fun!

I sure hope you are alright after your fall.  What did your doctor say? 
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 06:21:27 PM »
The dr said everything may be fine. Depending on how far this diease has progressed, most of you should be able to handle similar events.
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 05:57:07 AM »
Oh dearest Joe!

I've had some terrifying falls (twice backwards out of the shower at the Y, onto my back, for example).  The hardest part is that in spite of what some people think we simply can't 'prevent' these falls unless we stop moving completely.

And that's not an option for me, yet!

You certainly have managed to 'put on a great show' all these years for MarsCon.org!   Thank goodness you had a good team.  And kudos to you for keeping that going in spite of health 'issues'!

But you can step down covered in glory and pride of accomplishment.

And thank goodness your fall didn't cause lasting damage........I have a shower stool now, but our shower doesn't have grab bars so that is still an issue.

We will remodel the bathroom in the next two or three years, and there will be lots of grab bars for me sure!  Still, the world isn't filled with grab bars, I'm as careful as I can be, but I know there will be falls in my future.

I had a 'preview' at one hotel on our trip when I caught my foot on a computer cord, fell and hit my head on a bureau.  I was alone in the room.  Fortunately I could just wait to see how I felt, then got up and went on my way.  No lasting effects!   So I was lucky.

The balance between truly living in the world, and living in fear of falling (forget flying!) is ours to manage.

Best wishes and hugs,

Elaine

Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 07:16:06 AM »
Usually I ask for the handicap room. Most hotels do not inventory these rooms and they are usually available. At Marscon I did not have this choice. At home I have a lufa stile bath mat for my feet, a shower chair, and suction grip handholds.

I thought of bringing the hand hold with but that would not of helped in this shower as the stone walls were rough.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »
Dearest Joe,

You are SO well prepared, as of course I should have known you were.  All I have to think of is your great adventurous trip to the West and all of the ways in which you were prepared for that.

I fell at the Y in the years before I even KNEW I had neuropathy, and only in retrospect did I realize why (I closed my eyes to rinse my hair and and since I'm moderately deaf I lost my last source of balance and fell).

I have NEVER thought of asking for the handicap room at a hotel!  DUH, indeed.

We should put suction grip hand holds everywhere ASAP, in our own house.  I just had NOT thought of them.  DUH indeed again.

THANKS so much, Joe.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »
Joe, It was good to hear you speak of this meeting again. I remember over the years you were always so involved. Seems like I remember your wife used to do a lot of cooking for it also. It was good that you could do this again this year.

I am so sorry you fell. It is heck when we fall cause besides hurting we also get a little paranoid as we think every step will bring another fall. Also, it is heck when we go away and are out of our home element. Strange how "home" is just so comfortable when our health is yukky. Take care my friend. Irish