Author Topic: Fall 2014 Group Challenge begins Sunday - Oct. 19th  (Read 25927 times)

ohiolady

Re: Fall 2014 Group Challenge begins Sunday - Oct. 19th
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2014, 06:00:02 AM »
1.  Marcus Welby M.D.

2. A place in St. Petersburg, Florida called Middleground Grill.

3.  Contemporary Christian music

4.  A black Plymouth Barracuda.  I didn't like it but dad did.

5.  I love homemade desserts to a fault.
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2014, 06:35:53 AM »
I was sick yesterday so I wasn't able to log on, so I missed cleaning out the five items. Five items feels do-able, thanks for limiting the amount! I can do that this evening.

1.) When I was a kid I loved a local children's show from New York City called The Sandy Becker Show.
2.) My husband is the best cook in the world, so we hardly ever go out to eat.
3.) The Beatles. I also like classic Motown sounds.
4.) A navy blue 1972 Ford Pinto hatchback. I had that car for ten years, loved it!
5.) Guilty pleasure --- potato chips! Even better with onion soup mix dip!
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2014, 01:07:40 PM »
Well I am going to write down the answers to today's challenge, and still working on the clothes out of the closet. I hardly ever cook anymore, but I have some chicken baking, and just finished some dishes. Doing a bit of catch up with my hand sewing for things too.

1) What was your favorite show when you were growing up? All the movies with Gidget, Yvette Mimieaux (sp), and those with Troy Donahue in them.  :)

2)  What's your favorite restaurant? Buddy's Bar-b-que.

3)  What kind of music do you like? Pretty Inspirational Music, Jazz, and Blue Grass.

4)  What was the first car you owned? It was a 97 Nisan Sentra, Burgundy color. First one I bought new after divorce.

5)  What is your favorite guilty pleasure? Potato chips, because I crave salt, but not suppose to have them, and cheese cake. (too many calories, but oh so good)

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »
1)  What was your favorite show when you were growing up? Toss up between Doctor Who and Star Trek (the original one)

2)  What's your favorite restaurant? A place called "Acadienne Menu", only open during the summer. They serve the usual summer fare around here; fried sea food with french fries, but also home made Acadian specialties that you would have had to grow up with to appreciate; things like poutine rapee (potato dumpling wrapped around a pork filling), beignes (lacy thin potato pancake), fish cakes, baked beans, and "pets du soeur" (like a butterscotch sticky roll)

3)  What kind of music do you like? good old Rock n Roll!

4)  What was the first car you owned? '74 Mazda

5)  What is your favorite guilty pleasure? hot home made bread with butter and molasses
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »
1)  What was your favorite show when you were growing up?  That's tough to pick one - we watched Bonanza, Gunsmoke, The Andy Griffith Show, Lassie, Flipper, Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons, The Patty Duke Show . . . okay, okay - so we watch too much t.v.   ;)

2)  What's your favorite restaurant?  Logan's Roadhouse or a local Italian place called Michael's.

3)  What kind of music do you like?  Oldies and Lite Rock

4)  What was the first car you owned?  A Ford Maverick

5)  What is your favorite guilty pleasure?  When no one is home, and the house is quiet - turn my fan on and take a nap!   ;D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

SjoDry

• "When you are battling with a gorilla, you don't g
    • Sjodry and Parched
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
1. Favorite show: I Love Lucy

2. Favorite restaurant: Bahama Breeze

3. Motown and anything Michael Jackson

4. Opal Manta (that I started with a screwdriver because of the bad solenoid switch).

5. Anything chocolate :-O
Sjodry
http://sjodry.wordpress.com/

Female 55 y/o; SJS Primary; CVID; Autonomic Neuropathy: Chronic Digestive/G.I. issues; Leukopenia;Tachycardia; Bronchiectasis; High Blood Pres; R.A.;Chronic Pain; Sub~Q IVIG infusions~Hizentra; Plaquenil; Restasis; Gapapentin; Breathing/nebulizer meds; Pain meds;

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
Days 12 & 13 of our 14-Day Challenge

We're coming up on the last few days left of our 2014 Challenge.   :-\

Today's challenge is a 2-day challenge:  This is going to be an "expiration date" challenge.  When was the last time you went through your medicine cabinet, makeup, spice rack, refrigerator, pantry, etc. checking on expiration dates?  Some times the years fly by and before you know it, the product is a couple years past it's expiration date!   :o

Medicine loses it's effectiveness once it goes past the expiration date.  They use to tell people to flush pills down the toilet - now, they say not to do that.  I know here where I live, the pharmacy will take back expired medicine (has to be in original container) and they will dispose of them.

Not only pills, but anything that comes in a tube (first aid cream, poision ivy cream, A & D Ointment, etc.) has an expiration date.  I know for myself, that some times I have only used the product once - there is a full tube of it left.  However, it expired four years ago!!   :o  As much as you hate to do it, throw it away and get fresh.

I know I have kept (and used) suntan lotion for years and years . . . did you know they have expiration dates on them?  Hmmm, maybe that explains why they were so runny when I tried to use them.   ::)

When was the last time you checked all the makeup that you use?  They don't last forever or until they get used up - they do go bad.  Unopened, cosmetics can be good for a couple of years at room temperature.  Once a product is opened and exposed to air, your fingers, etc., you transfer germs to them.  Heat and humidity promotes growth of mold and yeast too.   I found the following guidelines about keeping makeup.

*  Face Makeup - six months for liquids, two years for powders
     *  Mascara - three months    (and don't "pump" the wand in and out, each time you do that you are putting air and bacteria into the tube)
     *  Eyeliner and Eye Shadow - Liquid eyeliners, three months; cream eye shadow - six months; pencil eyeliners and powder eye shadows - two years
     *  Lipstick and Lipliner - Lipstick and gloss, two years; lipliner - two years or more
     *  Nail Polish - one to two years  (avoid storing these in the bathroom)
     *  Sunscreen - six months
     *  Hair Products - one year
     *  Fragrance - two years
 (information for this post was taken from  goodhousekeeping.com)

In our current economy, we certainly want to get the most for our money - however, stretching the products we use past their expiration date or freshness can cause us infections or sickness.  We don't need either of those!!   

So, check out your medicine cabinet and your makeup and get rid of products that have expired, dried up, changed color, changed smell, etc.  Same for the kitchen - refrigerator, spices, pantry.

I wonder what the oldest date is that we'll find as we check expiration dates?

Bucky

"Stop wasting your time looking for the key to happiness . . . the door is open and unlocked . . . just walk through it."        Steve Maraboli
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Sleepy In Seattle

« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2014, 07:52:39 AM »
Yesterday:
1)  What was your favorite show when you were growing up?
           Little House on the Prairie - I was a lot like Laura, and there were lots of horses on it!
2)  What's your favorite restaurant?
           So hard to say because I like them for different reasons...but I'll go with the Greek place on the corner.
           Nice people, great food, and good neighbors. :)
3)  What kind of music do you like?
           Wow...um...Blues, Bluegrass, Classical, Rock, Country, Jazz, Folk, even some rap.... :P
4)  What was the first car you owned?
            A blue Honda Civic Hatchback....ran it into the ground at almost 300,000 miles!
5)  What is your favorite guilty pleasure?

Salt & Pepper Kettle Chips and watching schlocky TV/movies, especially romantic period dramas......total vacation for my brain! :D

Today:
LOL I just can't bring myself to do this one....I'm too Scottish!!!!  ::) ;D
My family has a long tradition of keeping EVERYTHING until it's decomposed into an unrecognizable heap.
I went to use some Calamine lotion at my mom's house last summer and it had expired in 1985... :o
Can't say my house is any better!
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

MarieB

« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »
Still working but so far I have found a bottle of L-Formula Lysine that expired in May 2005.   :o    ;D  (The kindly gentleman that recommended it to me has also expired.   :'()

Thanks for mentioning about taking these back to the pharmacist -- I'm going to ask our locals about that.  We do have the drop off promotions but they are not often, and I always miss them. 

Diagnosed w/Sjogrens May2014
SSA >8  SSB >8 (0.0-0.9AI)H
Antichromatin Antibodies >8 (0.0-0.9AI)H
Anti-DNA(SS)IgG,Ab/Qn 37(0-19EU)H
Began Plaquenil May 2014

MarieB

« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »
1)  What was your favorite show when you were growing up?
           Ted Mack Amateur Hour
2)  What's your favorite restaurant?
           Red Lobster
3)  What kind of music do you like?
           RocknRoll
4)  What was the first car you owned?
            1961 baby blue Pontiac Tempest  convertible, stick shift.  I took over the payments when my big brother went to Viet Nam.
             I drove it to school my senior year in high school, 1966.  I felt so fabulous in it!  LOLOL
5)  What is your favorite guilty pleasure?
           Haagen Daas vanilla ice cream on a stick, the kind with nuts embedded in the chocolate covering.   :P
           Watching Friends or Big Bang Theory for hours. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:01:00 AM by MarieB »
Began Plaquenil May 2014

MarieB

« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »
Day 6 -- Sorry I'm out of order and so late . . . . but this is such a great idea! 

I sent a card to a lady in our book group that has no computer.  I know she is left out of a lot of things the rest of do impromptu. 
Began Plaquenil May 2014

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »
MarieB - glad you have joined in on our little group adventure.   :)

We have 18 people participating this time around for our challenge.  Two people short of my goal of 20 - sniff, sniff - but, that's okay . . maybe next time.   ;)

I just got home from work and haven't jumped in to see what is lurking in our medicine cabinet yet - I'm afraid to see what I find!   :o

Bucky

litliwlowa

« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2014, 02:11:27 PM »
Two people short of my goal of 20 - sniff, sniff - but, that's okay . . maybe next time.   ;)
Not good timing for me Bucky.

Let me add to the expiration date challenge a tip my pharmacy gave to me as one means to dispose of outdated RX meds: used wet coffee grounds in a baggy, dump the med in there and let it dissolve in the coffee grounds before tossing in trash.
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

ohiolady

« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »
Okay, very timely challenge for me.  We just sold our house up north in Ohio.  I will be going through everything!

So far I am keeping up with this challenge, yay!

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2014, 04:39:48 PM »
I can't do the expiration date one either. I once ask the pharmacist about some meds and vitamins and he said certain ones if kept where they should be could be good 3 years later, and some vitamins 5 years later.

I don't use some of the make ups anymore. I use nail polish up faster than it goes past that date.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi