Author Topic: Fall 2014 Group Challenge begins Sunday - Oct. 19th  (Read 25933 times)

catherine1234

Re: Fall 2014 Group Challenge begins Sunday - Oct. 19th
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2014, 05:39:49 PM »
Day 6: Okay, so I went a little backwards on the stopping and smelling the roses Day. I decided to have a day that I would have had before this disease and the fatigue. SO, I started with a TRX class (similar to Crossfit), went straight to a hot yoga class, lunch with friends, then to an hour long private tennis lesson and was home in time to do homework with the kiddos. It was a FABULOUS day because I felt like no matter what sjogren's throws at me I can still have days like this! Now tomorrow might be a different story ;) So that gets me to Day 7: I am going to go the barn tomorrow and just graze my horse tomorrow - not ride or anything but just enjoy being outside with her.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »
catherine - those "lax balls" sound good.  That was very kind of you to do that for your friend's child.  That will leave a lasting impression on the young boy too! 

Wow, sounds like you had a busy day #6!  Glad you had a good day.   :D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »
So, my Day #9 reply - my husband thinks I'm being a bit extreme but, hey . . it's my challenge and it's my object!  LOL

Unlike some of you, who were practical in what you chose, I choose to bring a fully equipped motor home (meaning food, beds, working bathroom and a table - oh, and I hope they have electrical hook-up . . LOL).  Might as well live in comfort while on this desert island!   ;D  Although, I would rough it and NOT have a laptop, computer or cell phone.  I would have a deck of cards, dice, a backgammon board, and some other games to play.

Ever since my outdoor time on Saturday (Part of Days 7 & 8 ), I have developed this very, very itchy areas on my neck and both arms.  Not sure if it's from insect bites, or the sun since I am so sensitive to it.  So, with that being said, I can justify the above motor home.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!    8)

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Carebear

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »
Is there room for one more in your fully equipped motor home, Bucky?  I cook and clean!   :D
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2014, 07:05:57 PM »
This one was hard! My first thought was my laptop........but I strongly doubt that a desert island would have WiFi. Medications? don't have to think of bringing those anywhere, they are part of me. Books? maybe, but not terribly practical.

A KNIFE! handiest tool around; good for food gathering and prep, cutting materials for shelter and fashionable survivor clothes, digging, and once I have the surviving down pat........whittling to pass the time and feed my creative side LOL

Better plan? Don't get stranded on a desert isle in the first place! I prefer the islands of the resort nature, with hot and cold running room service.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

ohiolady

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2014, 08:44:28 PM »
I am going with Bucky's idea, a fully equipped motor home.  When my husband and I leave home I always say, as long as I have my meds and water I am okay.  I can buy anything else I may forget.  But, I just like the motor home.:)

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:45 PM »
Day #10 of our 14-Day Challenge

Is everybody still hanging out at the desert island??   ;)  Has anyone seen Gilligan, The Professor or MaryAnn anywhere?  LOL

Note about my motor home - there are a few rules.  No snoring or talking in your sleep. I sleep with a fan on year-round (for white noise) . . . of course, this will be a major problem if this island has no electric!!   :-\  (note to self - check into small portable generator to be used in dire circumstances)

I've watched the television show, Survivor for years - there is no way I would purposely ever WANT to be in the position that I was left with only the bare necessities to "survive" having to be resourceful to find food and shelter.  I would definitely make sure genko and Linda were there on the island with me!!  :D  We need to practice making fire.

Today's challenge is: go through your clothes closet and pull out five items that have been hanging there, not worn, and donate them to a cause that can use them.  I've read many times that the statistics are that 80% of the time people only wear 20% of the same items in their closets!!  That's a lot of space being taken up by things we don't wear.

My guess is the items that are on the far left and far right in our closets don't move to the middle of the closet very often, if ever.  Get rid of them.

"But I love this dress, and when I lose 10 pounds I can wear it again" . . . how many years have you been telling yourself this?  Get rid of it.

If you just don't love the item - get rid of it.

Those of you who have been on the forum for a while know that I love to garage sale.  At ALL of the sales I go to, there are TONS of clothes.  People have w-a-y too many clothes!

For this challenge you could also do the same for shoes and boots - if they don't fit properly, aren't the right color, or you just don't like them - donate them.

Coats could also be something to go through and donate unused ones.  With the colder temperatures coming (at least here in the U.S. and Canada), many times you will see the "Coats for Kids" barrels in area stores where they collect new or gently used coats to be given to those who need a warm winter coat.

Have a good day!

Bucky

"There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path.  Don't allow yourself to become one of them."      Ralph Marston

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2014, 02:05:48 PM »
I love these  challenges, but I am stuck for the moment with issues. I enjoyed a few minutes of seeing the pretty leaves again while sitting in the doctors office. A few breathing issues is keeping me from gathering outsides things at the moment, and the closet thing is out until I hope maybe tomorrow I can catch up. Later tonight maybe I can manage to take out something of my closet and leave out.

Oh, I can do the one about being on a island. How can I forget that one. It's a hard one, because first I thought of my bible, then I thought without water to drink it wouldn't be long I couldn't read it anyway. lol.. Then I thought, well  I don't want to be anywhere without my husband.

Ok, so here goes. lol.. I would have my husband with me, and we both would be wearing clothes with many pockets all the way down in front and back. Each pocket is big enough for a bottle of water, plus protein bars, and in one of my husband's pockets is a cell phone to call for rescue. No room needed for my bible, because I say to myself those verses I remember. lol... In one pocket is a packet of dried coffee, and in another is a fold out cup. In another is a box of matches so we get a little fire started to make some coffee. We lay back on our self made chairs from things on the island and relax, relax. relax.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »
Bucky, think of all the bugs and worms to eat you would miss out on. lol....

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
DAY 10-Finished today's specific challenge.......five items gone! I think it's leading me to expand on the specifics though, there's going to be more items going over the next few weeks, for sure! I've already started a pile.

Bit of a backfire though, when I dropped the first five articles (that dress you spoke of, that I'll wear again when I lose XX pounds, was in the bundle) the lady who runs the church sales handed me nearly new winter coats for two of my granddaughters! She's a neighbour and always keeps an eye out for things we can use. At least these won't take up residence in my closets LOL

I think I kind of sidestepped DAYS 7 and 8; we had a blustery, rainy, windy, thunder and lightening kind of weekend, so I didn't get out much, although I made a point of going out between showers for a walk. With everything wet and soggy, I wasn't inclined to bring anything in, but I did take some pictures, and some of them may end up matted and framed, so they will add to the d├ęcor. Others might become background for scrapbook pages, stationary or greeting cards.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

grammad97

« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »
My apologies to all for not following through with challenge.  I so wanted to participate but our crummy wifi where we live has not allowed me to get on site and respond each day.
So maybe another time......
Deb
Primary sjogrens, UCTD; osteoarthritis;osteopenia; HBP ;fibromyalgia;RX-plaquenil, butrans 20mcg patch ;flexaril;hydrocodone5/325;restasis, omega3, vit D, super B complex;s ;gluten free;lisinopril;moderate hearing loss

ohiolady

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
Just did this!  I am trying to get rid of something everytime I buy something.  Thanks Bucky, a great challenge idea!

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
Bucky, think of all the bugs and worms to eat you would miss out on. lol....susanep :)

Ha . . . no thanks, susanep - I'll pass!   ;)

Linda - good job today!  Just make sure your granddaughters coats go to THEIR house! 

I've seen your photography skills and I'm sure the pictures you plan to frame for your "dA@cor" (I don't know how to make the symbol above the A) are beautiful! 

grammad97 - you can still play "catch-up" - we don't mind.   :D  The challenge isn't over yet - we've still got several more days left.  Jump in when you can.

ohiolady - that sounds like a good policy to follow - good for you!

I've got my first five items sitting on the bed ready to be dropped off tomorrow when I'm in town.  I too will be pulling more things out in the next few weeks.

Good job everyone!

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2014, 10:03:48 PM »
Day #11 of our 14-Day Challenge

Just a reminder, that if you haven't been able to keep up with the daily challenges, its okay, you can always finish them at your own pace.

Today's challenge is five more "get-to-know-you" questions.   :D

1)  What was your favorite show when you were growing up?

2)  What's your favorite restaurant?

3)  What kind of music do you like?

4)  What was the first car you owned?

5)  What is your favorite guilty pleasure?

Happy Wednesday to you all!

Bucky

"No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you're still way ahead of everyone who isn't trying."             Tony Robbins

genko_b

« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2014, 12:06:59 AM »
Day 11 challenge questions:

1. Favorite TV show growing up: What in the World, a local show put on by the archaeological museum. Three archaeologists would try to guess the origin and use of several artifacts in each show. We would rush home after Sunday morning services to see it - the only time our family was allowed to eat lunch while watching TV. I still miss that show!

2. Favorite restaurant: How to choose? Right now a toss-up between a Japanese restaurant and a Turkish one. Both have outstanding food.

3. Kind of music: Hits from the '60s.

4. First car: A Subaru station wagon, one of the first in this country. Husband's was a '57 VW Beetle.

5. Guilty pleasure: How to choose? First one was concord grapes, picked from our neighbor's arbor. He said I could eat anything I could reach from sitting on the ground, but couldn't lift my bottom off the ground even a bit. Developed quite a stretch in my arm!

I'll get to the closet tomorrow!

Genko