Author Topic: Fall 2014 Group Challenge begins Sunday - Oct. 19th  (Read 27559 times)

Sleepy In Seattle

Re: Fall 2014 Group Challenge begins Sunday - Oct. 19th
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »
Do animals count?

I work part-time for a non-profit that cares for an rehabilitates horses who have been seized by authorities from situations of extreme abuse and neglect....we give them medical care and (when they are healthy enough), retrain them with gentle methods and help them find new homes.

They rely on donated everything: money, vet care, farrier care, hay, and equipment. Needless to say, most of the budget goes towards necessities!

There are a couple of horses there who have not done well with the limited bits (the part of the bridle that goes in the horse's mouth) that are available. So I bought some new and different ones that offer more choices - horses can be surprisingly picky!!!! I plan on helping them build a "bit library" so the horses can be more comfortable in their training. Today I bring in 3 new bits! :)

Aside from the bigger gestures, I think it's a good idea to ALWAYS look for opportunities to be kind and help others. Simple things like smiling and being pleasant to cashiers at the store, etc can make a HUGE difference...even when the other person is being surly or distracted. In fact, ESPECIALLY when they are!

I have worked lots of service jobs over the years, and it's a HARD way to make a living. One customer going out of their way to be kind can make a huge difference.
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »
Bucky I have got to do a catch up day. I forgot to post yesterdays. They called me to come back over for labs, because the day before the new young guy who is learning didn't label my blood. lol... So yesterday morning I went back. My husband always goes with me for any medical stuff no matter what. Well I told him I was stepping out of that mold for that morning.

I went myself, and it was so pretty and sunny, and nice fresh cool air, morning time. I had to wait a bit so I was just sitting by a window and thinking of nothing, but how pretty the trees with their leaves looked. I also noticed how nice the sun was even though I can't be in it long.

As I went back out to the car, I just kind of slowed down my walk to breathe deeply the fresh cool air, and look all around me, like I use to do as a little girl. Those moments were so so nice.  :)

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Carebear

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 03:29:25 PM »
Day 5 -  Today my granddaughters and I raked the leaves from the neighbour's lawn.  He is in his nineties, and afterall, the leaves came off of my tree.   ;).  I do this every year for him but I thought it important to show the girls the value in helping others, so the timing of the challenge and their visit were perfect.

They had a ball.  And while we were working, the elderly gent came outside to thank us.  And he handed them each a crisp five dollar bill!  "What will you do with the money?" I asked later.  They thought for a moment then decided to save it to buy a house together.  And to make sure it is near me so they can visit me often.   :'(   Gosh.  Talk about paying it forward!   

Bucky, I also wanted to thank you as a Canadian, for mentioning the shocking tragic day we experieced in our capital city yesterday.  We remain strong and united.  And grateful for the support from our many allies.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:06:50 PM by Carebear »
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2014, 04:41:40 PM »
Well, I had an interesting day..........no lack of opportunity for kindness, as always, whether holding a door open, a compliment to the mother of a polite child, or letting two older gentlemen go ahead of me in line for our flu shots (of course they were trying to let me go ahead LOL), but my favourite one was chatting with a lady in the craft department at a department store, who was working on a piece for a quilt.

She was doing a lovely job (she had it with her to match some fabrics), in what will eventually be a fantastic quilt for her grandson, but the question came up in conversation, "do you know an easy way to use the backing as binding?" I showed her the simple way my grandmother taught me, and she actually remembered seeing it years ago, but had forgotten. I actually felt like the recipient of an act of kindness, she was so generous in sharing her handiwork, and her devotion to her grandson, with me. Win-win situation!

I echo Carebear's thank you........As Canadians, we are appreciative of our friends and neighbours, and proud of those serving in our military and our Parliament, and I personally take great pride in the actions of the people on the street in Ottawa, who, without hesitation, ran to the assistance of the fallen soldier, administering CPR and comfort, until the emergency response teams arrived.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

AlienDog

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 06:16:45 PM »
Day 4 challenge:  Took the afternoon off and sat on my new deck with my puppy and reading a book. It was a bit more than the 10 minutes, but I really needed it.  :)

Day 5 challenge: acts of kindnesse..... there were so many opportunities that happened today. Even though I didn't know it was the assignment, I managed to perform many little act of kindness while at the hospital doing some volunteer work.

It has been a good couple of days.  :)

Woofers
Sjogren's World Executive Board, Staff Trainer, Technical Director, & Chat Coordinator

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Day #6 of our 14-Day Challenge

How did everyone do with your random act of kindness?  I'm sure there are daily many opportunities to share kindness if we just pay attention and slow down to realize them.

Carebear - it was an excellent teaching opportunity for your granddaughters to see kindness in action as you all raked the neighbors leaves.  Good job! 

Sleepy - yes, doing an act of kindness for animals and/or for those who care for them counts!  I'm sure the horses will enjoy having a variety of bits to fit each of their specific needs during their rehabilitation.  What a kind thing for you to donate 3 new bits

Susanep -  I'm glad you enjoyed taking in the beauty of the day looking out the window waiting for your appointment and while going back to your car.  I bet your husband was very surprised you went to the appointment on your own.   :)

Aliendog - glad you got to enjoy your new deck along with a book and your puppy. 

Linda196 -  I'm sure you did enjoy the conversation and idea shared with the lady in the craft department - right up your alley!   ;)  Another bonding time with this lady is the fact she was devoted to her grandson, much like you are to your three granddaughters. 

We have 16 members participating in this group challenge - we're only four people away from my 20 member participating goal.  If you missed joining us on day #1, it's not too late to join in for the rest of the challenges.  We'd love to have you!

If you signed up to participate and haven't had the chance to do any of the previous days challenges, it's not too late to catch up.   ;)

Day #6 Challenge is in your hands . . . it's pick your challenge day!  What does that mean?  It means, YOU decide the challenge you are going to do today.  The sky's the limit on what you pick.

It will be interesting to read what your challenge was and how you completed it.

Hmmmm . . . . what WILL you choose?!?

Have a great Friday!!

Bucky

"Life is full of give and take.  Give thanks and take nothing for granted."      Linda Poindexter
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2014, 06:39:00 AM »
Yesterday's "kindness" challenge gave me a chance to be more conscious of being polite as a driver.

As you may remember, I have just over an hour to commute each way to and from work every day. Some days it feels like the Indy 500, with all the cars jostling for position at 70 and 80 miles per hour.

I try to make it a habit to be kind, to let others change lanes in front of me, to let people "in" and flash my lights as a "thank you" when someone does the same for me.

Some days this is tougher than others! But yesterday I made a very conscious effort to be extra nice.

It ended up making me feel a lot calmer when I got to where I was headed.
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

genko_b

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2014, 09:43:28 AM »
Random act of kindness for me yesterday was also driving with an awareness that I can only control my own driving, and the wish that we all make it safely to our destinations.

My personal challenge for today is to clean the refrigerator. That may not seem like much, but I put it off all the time.

Genko

gmomjuju

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
Today I went to my mother's quarterly care meeting at the nursing home.Things went very well. My mom had started with dementia last fall.  However, she fell and broke her hip in January. After almost a week in the hospital she was taken to a nursing home for rehabilitation and then it has turned into long term care.

I asked if they ever had classes for families to help deal with dementia. So now I planted a little seed as they are going to try to do something like that in the future.

Made my day!
Judy

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 01:49:59 PM »
Well, I didn't go out yesterday to do a random act of kindness, but my dad heard from one of my sisters that his doctor may have not said he would not see my dad again for those who remember this (dad left nursing home when doctor wanted him to stay).

He didn't want to just ask though, and neither did my sisters. So I thought I would call there and ask his nurse or other worker there. They said they could call dad and tell him after me telling them he was kind of shy to ask. I knew dad wanted so bad to know, but wouldn't admit it.

They called and told him he does still have the same doctor which makes dad very happy, but he said he did not appreciate me asking. lol.... So the result was good for dad.  :)

When I am out and see any older person or someone on crutches etc. I always do jump up to open doors that kind of thing. This did help me though with what some others of you have mentioned to help me to do even more things the next time I am out.

I will have to get back later tonight on today's challenge.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Carebear

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »
Day 6 -  I really do need to improve my driving manners.  I am embarrassed to admit that I let little things get to me all the time and tend to use my horn as often as my brakes.   :-[

So today there was a conscious effort to release the tension.  There were no hand gestures, and the car horn was made to feel lonely and unloved.

Moving on, I plan to keep improving.  Wish me luck.  I know it's no excuse, but I have been rear ended twice and
t-boned once with my granddaughters in the car, all in the last two years.  I guess it has taken a toll on me.

Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Sleepy In Seattle

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »
We're having our huge annual Halloween Party tomorrow night, and I usually make tons of homemade food and work myself half to death. I like to cook for people and special events, but it's a lot of work.

I've been running behind all week on party prep because my daughter has been sick (she's better and back to school as of yesterday), so I decided to just swallow my pride and get some pre-made party food at Costco so i can enjoy myself and not drop from exhaustion.

That's kinda new for me....and I think it's a good choice. Health and happiness for myself as well as everyone else - what a concept!!!!  :P
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
Day 6- I earned an even greater respect for you today, Bucky....picking out these challenges is HARD!

A friend of mine made a list today, of why it was a great day for her......little things, unexpected things, things that might not be noticed by anyone else, but things that made her day great, from her perspective. I decided my challenge was to find five things like that, that made MY day great, and here they are:

1/ I woke up a bit later than usual this morning,after a solid night's sleep, without even a bathroom break!
2/ After a difficult week for the country I love, I was heartened to see support, signs of national pride, and respect for our forces, everywhere I looked.
3/ I found the tea that I like on an unadvertised special, and stocked up.
4/ My daughter brought me 6 apple pies from our church's women's group fund raiser, all safely tucked into the freezer now.
5/ Something I ordered for my hubby came to the dealer, and I was able to plan a road trip with him to pick it up.

The greatest thing I noticed was that there were lots of other things I could have listed! I think my challenge turned out to be APPRECIATION!

Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 09:55:28 PM »
Good job everyone . . . I love hearing what you're doing each day for the Challenge.

There will be times where we put our focus on others and then there are times where we focus on ourselves.  We can't just go through life giving and giving and never re-filling ourselves in the process.  It's all about balancing both.

Today I finished a challenge that has been on my "to list" for months.  There are times where what I NEED to do will only take a little bit of my time, it's the getting motivated to DO it that takes forever!   ;)  I've had some miscellaneous items from our house remodel that we did back in the spring that were still laying around that I finally put away.  Yay!  Tomorrow, I tackle the dining room table!

Of course, company coming over this weekend is a great motivator!!   :D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »
Day #7 & Day 8 of our 14-day Challenge:

I hope you all are enjoying these Challenges - it gives us something to focus on outside of our Sjogren's.

Linda - it HAS been harder this time around coming up with Challenge ideas - in the past, I had one theme for the entire challenge, not something different each day.

With the addition of gmomjuju today (glad you could join us), we're up to 17 members participating in this challenge.  We need three more members to join to meet my 20 member goal.  hint, hint   ;)

This weekend - days 7 & 8 are going to be a combination challenge.  You can do one part of it one day, the other part the next day, or do a combination of both parts each day.

Part #1 -  here in the U.S./Canada we are winding down Fall and soon heading into winter.  We won't have very many more opportunities to enjoy the fall weather before the temperatures stay cooler.  (Here in Illinois we'll be in the high 60's and 70's for several days . . yay!!) So, it's time for us to spend at least 10 minutes outside either both days, or at least one of the days.

Enjoy the beautiful color palette of the changing leaves before they are all gone (the trees in our front yard only have a few leaves still hanging on - the wind we had this week knocked them off sooner than they would have fallen  :( ).  Enjoy the smells and sounds of fall - the smell and crunch of drying leaves, the chatter of squirrels busy gathering nuts for the winter, flocks of birds flying south for the winter, the snap of twigs as you walk in the woods, or the smell of a campfire. 

Part #2 -  collect some of the free decorations nature provides and bring them inside and decorate your house with them (that is, if you don't have allergies to any of it).  I bring in acorns, pine cones, different colored leaves, and branches that have fallen.

If you have a garden, you might have grown pumpkins or gourds to bring inside.

I still have the leaves pressed in a book from a challenge five years ago. It still smells like fall when I open that book.   :)

These last few days of October are going to slip away quickly - enjoy them while they are here.

Have a great weekend!

Bucky

" Before I can take good care of anything or anyone, I must first take good care of myself."        Spencer Johnson, M.D.