Author Topic: 2014 Garage Sale /Bargain finds  (Read 1202 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
2014 Garage Sale /Bargain finds
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:46:54 AM »
The year is already half over  :o and I've hardly been to any sales at all this year.   :-\  (For those of you new to the forum - I love, love, love garage sales.  It's part of my DNA, handed down by my mother.  :D )

Last year my brothers and I were knee deep in cleaning out my parents house (that they lived in for 56 yrs) to get ready for an estate sale and it just wore me out.  This year I've just been driving right by the garage sales . . . . soooooo unlike me.

When our son was a toddler I could find so many great bargains on gently used clothes - some still with store tags on them for 50 cents to a $1.  Toys are a great find too - especially the bigger, more expensive kind that go out in the yard.

The things I look for at a sale are decorations for the house, jewelry, books, and music CD's, and occasionally clothes.

I usually have two sales of my own each year.  Last year I had none and it doesn't look like there will be any this year either.   It's a lot of work to set up a sale, sit out there for several days and then tear it all down.  The money is nice though.

Okay - now getting to this week.   :D  After work the other day, I decided I wanted to check out a few sales on the way home.  This one place I stopped at had a whole table full of jewelry.   :)  I ended up getting 3 necklaces, 1 pr. earrings, and 2 bracelets @ $1 each, for a whopping $6 total sale. 

I get home and get out the magnifying glass to read what the jewelry tags say.  Several pieces were Nolan Miller (fashion / jewelry designer for QVC and who was a Costume Designer for the show Dynasty and some other shows),  Joan Rivers San Marco Bracelet, the pair of earrings are stamped sterling silver, and the other bracelet is stamped pure silver.  I'm guessing retail value for all this is at least $150, if not more . . . and I bought it all for $6.   ;D  That's the thrill of the hunt!!!

Anybody else been to any sales lately and find any good bargains?

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Pisces24

Re: 2014 Garage Sale /Bargain finds
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
I love going to garage sales too. Cheap entertainment, I get to meet a lot of people and I find good bargains. Like you though, I need to have a garage sale at some point. They are a lot of work and I just have not been able to do it this year with all the stuff "medical too" that has come up.  I call my garage sale-ing Reycling!  ;) :D    I stay away from those estate sales as I find the stuff always too pricey and what they sell?  They'd sell great aunt edna's false teeth of they could get a buck out of em as she don't need em anymore. :o Ugh!

My latest bargains have been a couple of those printed throws for $1 each. They are pretty and convenient to use and wash.  Lately I have been getting those rubber/plastic lidded totes for $1-$3 as I am trying to get better organized with "stuff". Durn I have seen alot of bigger things to buy but I just don't have a place for it.

I don't spend much at all and like I said, it is cheap entertainment.