Author Topic: Selling My Mothers Home and Still doing The Estate...  (Read 4523 times)

gemini052377

Re: Selling My Mothers Home and Still doing The Estate...
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 02:23:58 PM »
I am so very sorry you are experiencing so many stressors all at one time! I pray all goes well and this never ending journey ends soon. And the birthday cake idea was fabulous.

Take care, Mary
Mary-Primary Sjogren' s, Hashimoto' s Auto Immune Thyroid, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Reynauds, and busy mom of 4 kiddos :)

quietdynamics

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 03:50:15 PM »

Cassi.. what do you think a little black cat does when he sees neatly sorted and organized papers laid out??  :o

So nice to have my daughter here.. she keeps handing me "nutritious smoothies" .. hands it to me saying "what do you think of this one?"  "Want to do some yoga Mom?  Want me to drive?"

Huh?  No I want to know where my hairspray is..kiss, kiss.

gemini.. this will end all in good time.
Posting part vent to my peers here, part to tell how it goes with added stress, both mental and physical.

The average age of women when Dx'd with SJS is around 50's or so.. so older parents.
Men with SJS, younger people, older.. things happen.
So a heads up.. that even when things were laid out and planned to go smoothly by both parents .. sometimes they go array and life gets complicated with legalities, costs, sweat and time (our most precious non-renewable commodity). 

An extended family relative is in and out of hospital for decades... where are the papers I asked, where is the living will?

Life is a mode of transition.
We travel along.
So one more way of being caring, easing the journey is to have the documents of our loved ones as well as ourselves in order and checking to make sure they are there.. stuff happens.

Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 06:46:54 AM »
Dearest QD,

Sending wishes for some peace and smooth sailing.  The ongoing stress of 'waiting for the other shoe to drop' with the renters is so tiring. 

Adding a 'guilt trip' to the journey is unfair on their part.  However, I guess life isn't fair! 

I have found that there are plenty of people who only see their own side of the story, and will use any ammunition to defend their side.  "heartless' would be funny for anyone who knows you, but is truly scattershot cruelty coming from these folks.

And no matter how we try, we feel the 'pain' and stress from the bad 'karma' coming from these folks.

Well, one day it will be over.  Easy does it.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

quietdynamics

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 06:53:56 AM »
Want to share good news with you ~

We drove down to the home yesterday.

The painter has done a wonderful job. This was not a small job, by any means.

I walked in.. and the great foyer with the pop-corn ceiling removed looks so crisp and clean and modern.  The highest point is 18 feet high.
I got goose bumps and almost cried..silly.. thinking how much my mother would have love it. She hated the ceiling.
Then you take a small step down into the Great Room itself.. the ceiling is bright white now and wonderful. It would have been too costly and time consuming to have the pop-corn ceiling removed there. The painter in applying paint can only go in one direction and the ceiling alone took 7 gallons of paint.
The bathroom ceiling and upper walls had to be scraped (what a job) and again everything so clean and smooth. Bedroom and another room, everywhere I looked. Just quality and care. Meticulous clean-up.

The painter is in love with home.

I appreciated it all.

After I did a walk about outside (it was raining) to make some notes, I went back inside and as it was almost 3pm and the painter was working alone; I said "it is time to eat..where should we go?"

At the restuarant he was going to choose a hamburger meal. Hmm?
"You know it is near dinner time and you really should have a full meal, so you don't have to cook again.. what about this steak, pick something you would not cook for yourself at home?"
So the three of us had a nice early dinner.

There is a fence in the back that needs to be repaired from Hurricane Sandy.
I mentioned it. And said if you want to do it, I would rather pay you than someone else. If you are interested.

And when I put together the binder/portfolio on the home for buyers I will have his name, business and card in it.
I will invite the neighbor next door to come in a see the work he has done as well.

Turns out he works at the hospital were my mother was.
I am sure she would have liked him.

We are hoping that when we are ready to put this home on the market he will consider doing the work.
It is out of his area.

We are hopefully ending a long month of the lingering, slow moving bug that has knocked us out for a month. Taking daughter to ER and then son to Dr., he has "tonsil stones" and was running a temp. ( I was grateful it was not strep.. but, Dr. is suggesting ENT, possibly tonsillectomy).

On my end I have been back to 3-4 hrs of some energy..then nap for the same.

The listing timeline for photos is now about 2 weeks away.
I decided to pick some items from here to stage the home. Hoping to make it look at bit more appealing for 35- 50 yr. old of range (or so). 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:20:58 AM by quietdynamics »
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

Carolina

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »
Oh QD, the work goes on.  Each day is part of the journey.  Your daughter is feeling a bit better I hope, and all of you, in fact.

And the house will go on the market...and then??  Waiting and wondering.  Are you living IN the house while you're showing it?  Sunshine will be good for sales, if it ever shows up!

This has been a long cold Spring it seems.  Strange weather everywhere.

It all feels very 'transitional' somehow.  Maybe just adjusting to the time change in some ways.  And I had an IVIG on Tuesday.......and now PT.  Everything feels a bit 'temporary'.   

May April will be more 'settled'?  I guess I'll just take the day as it comes.  Perhaps a nap is a good idea!

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

quietdynamics

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 05:13:21 AM »

LISTED:  Whew finally.

Thank you prednisone trial.. clarity is sweet.

I have about 11 days more on the trial, and feeling confident ( there is a word I have not used even in my inner most thoughts, that I can get things done in a timely fashion vs.. dragged out because of symptoms. And I was still doing immensely better than before Nov. 2011)

Was able to work on the home outside with DH for hours, he did the heavy things.

Saw in basement water heater is leaking.. time for a new one. OK.
Few weeks ago something with well pump..                           OK.

Appt with Broker/realtor at 4PM.. bring docs, camera, and muscle.. he did AND an another agent.. YES.

There was a crack ceiling to floor I saw in March. this realtor saw damage to roofline.. Hurricane Sandy? Again?  I have photos of that area immediately at Sandy w/o the crack. Just luck.

He got up on a ladder, took photos.    YES.
I will call ins.. back out, I had called them out in March about the crack.
Realtor is going to take care of water heater and part of fence in back .. YES.

Great home, in a desirable location, and the great condition of the home as my parents kept it. They thought the front stone landing was new that is how home was maintained.
They wanted the listing.

And I was clear.
"I cannot and will not drive back and forth."  Preliminary photos taken, and we will send them the ones we took. Realtor want to do professional video. That part was not important to me.

*Stopped at garden nursery and picked up some blooming perennials instead of cut flowers for staging photos..lol  Moved them around the home.. then here to plant.
Annuals..bright red geranium with orange petite marigolds on glass table on back deck.. even Realtor smiled.

Told the Realtor.. It is an emotional sale, and I do want the home presented, such that it would make my parents proud. They worked hard and this was their dream home. It is closure.

I cannot begin to describe.. the lift of burden we both feel. We did a great job.

We both slept soundly last night and I believe we actually look better than we have since this ALL started.

Thank you all for your support.

Calls later. Glad I saved the name of Insurance Adjuster in my note/log.

Carolina

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 06:46:50 AM »
Oh QD, a big hurdle!

And thanks to Prednisone from me, too.  I know it can't last forever, but it so amazing to feel better.

Now, of course, I've rather forgotten how it was.........

You used your 'lift' to finish up this last part of a long process with the house.   

I used mine to tolerate IVIG which is keeping me infection free, AND to get started on PT to help me with walking.  We walked about two miles today from the house to lunch and back.  I'm very slow but at least I did it!

At least we have the option of occasionally getting a break from our misery.  And the rest of the time we practice patience, persistence, and acceptance.

Hugs,  Elaine 

Congratulations on a job well done!