Author Topic: How does moving (change residence) affect you?  (Read 1304 times)

Yvette

How does moving (change residence) affect you?
« on: September 24, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »
What are some of your experiences during and after a move with Sjogren's? Were there any treatments that helped?

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
Re: How does moving (change residence) affect you?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »
I think there's three big things to think about - 1) Lining up a new medical team, 2) Preparing and executing the move, 3) Any climate changes due to the move.

Start doing your research on doctors now, and try to get appointments lined up. Get copies of your records from your current doctors and be prepared to bring them to the new doctors. You may want to make several copies, so that you can bring them to each doctor.

Remember how stress is not good for us?  Moving is stressful.  Plan to delegate as much as you can, plan for breaks and rest, and assume that things will go wrong. Figure out some back up plans for what if you can't get into your new place, or what if your furniture doesn't arrive when it's supposed to (mine was 7 days late!).   It will be easy to do to much - get as much help as you can from others. And keep breathing.

When you get there..... Well, you'll find out when you get there - too many variables - going from hot to cold, dry to humid, etc. etc. 

Plan to rest as you can, keep notes about how you are feeling.

Best of luck.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

paisley62

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:12:14 PM »
I saw that you recently moved a few weeks ago in a previous post.

The physical activity of moving, or any large physical effort, can potentially cause all sorts of pain and physical problems. 

Moving is a part of living life with Sjogren's - one of the harder parts - but still a necessary part of life that we have to handle, ready or not.

I prefer to "pace" as a lifestyle , which means keeping physical activity constant and limited every day, with a daily and weekly routine.  This manages energy realistically, and minimizes pain.  It minimizes activity, which is the down side of it.

My life interrupts that with things like moves.  Then I do whatever it is that life demands of me, then experience the consequences of that later.  I call this the "push and crash" lifestyle. 

I believe these are the only options available to me as default behavior: either try to pace, or try to do some additional things by pushing and then crashing. 

In reality, life turns out to be a mix of these, because life won't stand still so I can just pace.  I am trying to structure my life with minimal activity though, because I am getting extremely pain avoidant -- I have had enough pain and am really tired of that.  I have to give up most of my old activities though.

Most people automatically "push and crash" as a preffered choice until the pain gets intolerably bad, then they start to want to slow way down and pace.  Pushing and crashing lets you maintain remnants of your old healthy lifestyle as long as you can.

After you are pacing, life still makes you "push" unavoidably.  Then you suffer the crash.  If you are required to push intensely as in a move, the crash can be very long - even months long.   It all depends on a person's tolerance for activity, how sick they are, and partly on the quality of medical care they have.

This is what my life with Sjogren's is like.  Perhaps yours is, or will be, different,  I am just trying to help.

You have some very positive things going for you. You are open to asking for, and receiving help with finding answers to problems - instead of going it alone.  Things like being on this Forum, and reading high-quality internet materials will help you learn what you need to know faster than otherwise.

If you already have a definite diagnosis, this helps enormously - it took me four long years to get diagnosed with Sjogren's. You have what appear to be competent doctors, and are receiving appropriately aggressive treatment - mtx is not a starter medicine like plaquenil.  It looks like you are making really good decisions, and have been kind of lucky with medical care so far.

To get back to your question, I did move with Sjogren's.  The primary things that help me are resting as much as possible, consulting with my doctors for proper, and potentially stronger,  anti-inflammatories such as mtx or other, consulting with doctors for strong pain medicines, and taking action to keep a realistically positive attitude. 

If you are depressed or anxious, find a tolerable treatment for that as well.  Depression and anxiety kind of automatically come along with any chronic disease.

Hang in there!  If you already moved, the hardest part is over.  If you have to move again now, you just did it once, and now you will know how to do it better and it may be easier.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:18:36 PM by paisley62 »

grammad97

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »
I might add in addition to records; checking out doctors etc. Make sure your insurance is accepted and also get 3-6 months worth of RX refills or work with current docs in "old" place to keep continuaty of care.
I did the RX thing( thank goodness) but still had a devil of a time getting docs. I just told story of primary at only place that would take me with Medicare and my laundry list of symptoms and prescriptions.
I just got my referrals for rheumy and pain management.  I hand carried record copies.
Purge stuff ...did that a few years in when I realized I didn't want to dust; pack etc.so much stuff.
Take time for you and REST!
Just moved in May....first doc visit 9/13....
Living with family until spouse can sell house and get here......sigh....stress what stress?!
Primary sjogrens, UCTD; osteoarthritis;osteopenia; HBP ;fibromyalgia;RX-plaquenil, butrans 20mcg patch ;flexaril;hydrocodone5/325;restasis, omega3, vit D, super B complex;s ;gluten free;lisinopril;moderate hearing loss

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 09:47:54 PM »
Moving is one of the huge stressors in anyones life. It is in the list of the most significant stressors that can cause people to have health issues crops up. I moved 4 times long distance and each time became ill. I didn't know then that I had autoimmune disease, but I sure ended up with flares of colon, depression, fatigue, etc. the whole shooting match.

Now that I am older I would pace myself better than I did then. Of course I did the moves with kids at home, etc. Life can be tough at times but we seem to get through it. Irish