Author Topic: 400 mgs plaquenil is a HIGH dose????  (Read 4292 times)

KS123

Re: 400 mgs plaquenil is a HIGH dose????
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 07:34:04 AM »
yikes gretta. that is scary.... i am down to 100mg.. my rheumy wants me off of it as my symptoms and blood work for 3 years haven't gotten better ... i went from 400 to 200 and now 100 and soon nothing.. i dont feel any different.. but i dont have all the body aches so that may be why?

but re: the question posted.for most 400mg is the recommended dosage...

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »
The fact that size of a person can change the dose needed is something that needs to be addressed more. Glad to see that it was brought up. This is true of many drugs. It is the blood level that is important and size and kidney function can affect the blood level of every drug that we take. This info makes us all more aware of this fact. I wish I had to worry about the weight issue, but I am so far above the 135# mark that it is but a glimmer. Irish

Ripvanann

• "A DESIRE FULFILLED IS A TREE OF LIFE"
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »
Hey I'm posting from the E.R. waiting for eye exam lol. I began reading this before I left and I checked my dose as I loaded up my meds.

When my Rheumy decided to try plaquenil again (because last Rheumy took me off before 3 months was over), he told me he'd have to try a higher dose since I had put on 70 lbs between then and now (cushing's).

My dose is 375 mg. twice a day. So that's 750 mg. a day. Do you all take 400 mg. a day, or twice a day?
Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, RA, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu, Citracal D & Pain Meds, Compazine, phenergan, Iberogast.

Ripvanann

• "A DESIRE FULFILLED IS A TREE OF LIFE"
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 10:36:29 PM »
Amanda, thanks girl. Yes, I was in the E.R. I posted about the bummer. =)

I just looked at my Rx of plaquenil and I read the wrong number! I'm on 400 mg. a day. I was freaked out by the amount, so I looked again (better this time!). I was thinking "Dang! I'm fat, but nothing like one would call to put on a reality show!"

Eye doc (the one I see. i.e. the good one) says usually people are on it for a long time and it's rare even then to see any trouble.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:47:22 PM by Ripvanann »
Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, RA, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu, Citracal D & Pain Meds, Compazine, phenergan, Iberogast.