Author Topic: Yoga and sjogrens  (Read 4762 times)

tamaran17

Yoga and sjogrens
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:01:31 PM »
Anyone out there doing yoga? I used to practice 3 times a week but I'm down to once a week and often spend two or three days recovering from it....any suggestions? Maybe I need to be doing a different kind of yoga? I love my studio and instructors. They are all very understanding but I feel like im losing ground on my practice.

Also dealing with a odd skin breakout on my back, almost acne like but I'm afraid to change soaps as my skin is sensitive enough on its own...sigh

Dee

Re: Yoga and sjogrens
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:18:14 PM »
I had to give up Pilates over a year ago and have been wanting to do yoga instead but haven't yet. I cant handle how out of shape I am, lack tone, not limber, etc.

Are you doing the more intense yoga workouts or the more gentle slow controlled stretching and poses?   I was going to opt for the latter, probably the geriatric class.

Dee

BKreader

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »
I LOVE yoga and think it is so great or the body. I used to do yoga 2-3x a week long with running 3-4x. I have not run in 6-8 months because every time I'd go I would feel pretty wiped. I just kept getting sick. I could tell there was some problem last fall when I was having a hard time feeling super fatigued doing my usual 5 loop that I have run for years.

Same with the yoga to some extent. I quit last winter and have tried to do some with videos at home but it is not the same as a class. I used to do a therapeutic class that had the option to be challenging. My reflux would get super aggravated from all of the inverted poses and abdominal twists. I also suffer from what is sometimes server positional light headedness (might be a low BP issue). So every time I stood up from downward dog I would get wonky and see shooting stars in my peripheral vision. Between the dizziness and fatigue I gave up my gym membership.

I am trying to recover from a sprained ankle to seems to be turning into a plantar fasciitis (something I have never had despite years of running). I am hoping to start walking and ease into some light running. I worry about the fatigue but this has been better since taking Plaquenil.

I would like to try to get back into yoga too. Maybe customize a routine or two that focuses on the areas you need but that is not too challenging. I have a really good friend who practices at home a few times a week using streaming videos on her computer. Yoga glo or something like that. She says there are all different levels and routines to choose.

I hope you can find something that works for you. I think mellow yoga is would give you results without over taxing your system.
Primary Lupus, secondary atypical Sjogren's, Recurring episcleritis, Esophageal spasms, Hashimoto's, GERD, Perioral Dermatitis
Levothyroxine, Liothyronine Sodium, Plaquinil, Prilosec
Salmon oil, Flax oil, Restasis, Tears Naturale

tamaran17

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 02:46:43 PM »
Went this morning and starting to feel it. Perhaps vinyasa flow is just too much now. Ill see what else is offered. The restorative classes are only offered during the work day though. I worked with the instructor today and had good success.

paisley62

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
I did hatha yoga for years until I simply could not continue because of the pain and severe fatigue.  I miss it.

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »
I have lots of problems recovering from exercise. Exhaustion is one of my main issues, and doing simple exercises often leave me wiped for a couple of days.

One thought on a very gentle exercise that might give you some of the relaxation benefits of yoga, with less vigorous effort - tai chi. 

I am just learning this now, and it looks plausible as something I might be able to do.

Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »
Hi  :)

I used to go to yoga but I am talking about 26 years ago. It was when fatigue was beginning to be really bad but my joints were OK then and I enjoyed the classes. I had to give it up though because it was just too embarassing.

At the end of every class they did relaxation/meditation and I just used to go to sleep. I had to be shaken awake. I also tended to snore.

I think a lot of the exercises are probably good though.
Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Ripvanann

• "A DESIRE FULFILLED IS A TREE OF LIFE"
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 06:23:19 PM »
Seems like we're all in the same boat. I was doing it daily via a video and also once a day teaching my kids. When I got Cushing's, it fell apart.

They had me doing it when I went to Cleveland Clinic  this past Jan. and it literally landed me in the hospital! It felt great when I did it, but I paid dearly.

I'm certain that we could all do it, but not as we were.... More like the 80 yr old person's routine, that's about it. =(

Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, RA, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu, Citracal D & Pain Meds, Compazine, phenergan, Iberogast.

dry2010

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 06:35:41 PM »
I do Pilates as a main form of exercise now due to Sjogrens.. I have been doing hot yoga which is done in a room heated to 110 degrees but I will need to give it up. Feels great after I sweat out all the crap in my system but I get wiped out for a couple days after.  I really enjoy yoga and will research to find a better suited to my Sjogrens..

Dry2010
Diagnosed SJS March 2010, Gerd, Plaquenil & Generic Evoxac,suspected Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome,Wellbutrin, Hypothyroid and menopause.

BKreader

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »
I used to do hot yoga. My doctor said, No way. It is extremely fatiguing and can be dangerous.

Scottie- I have fallen asleep several times during Shavasana too.  ;D
Primary Lupus, secondary atypical Sjogren's, Recurring episcleritis, Esophageal spasms, Hashimoto's, GERD, Perioral Dermatitis
Levothyroxine, Liothyronine Sodium, Plaquinil, Prilosec
Salmon oil, Flax oil, Restasis, Tears Naturale