Author Topic: surgery is scheduled!  (Read 11626 times)

Ripvanann

• "A DESIRE FULFILLED IS A TREE OF LIFE"
Re: surgery is scheduled!
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »
SjoAmy, I'm glad you got through to someone who cares there, but Amanda is absolutely right, you can't do this without help. Erie isn't far enough that I couldn't at least bring you some frozen meals, but the kind of help you need is going to be 24/7 for a good while. What happened with that conversation? What did she say about it?
Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, RA, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu, Citracal D & Pain Meds, Compazine, phenergan, Iberogast.

SjoAmy

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »
I'll call the PCP on Tuesday, since Monday is Labor day.  Tell them about my concerns and ask them to coordinate some care on my behalf.

Amanda is right on all counts.  My docs who don't know my case personally, like the neurosurgeon, think I can get people to take care of me.  I can't.  And I won't beg, or ask.  I am hoping to talk to my PCP about aftercare at a physio rehabilitation facility that is about 7 blocks from my home.

Been realizing what I won't be able to do....like carry my grocery bags on my shoulder and hands.

Pain has been on a severe increase.....past 2 days I needed 2 hydrocodone instead of one.  One in the AM, one in the PM.  Instead of PM only.

quietdynamics

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »

An accident left BIL paralyzed from the waist down 20+ years ago.

He has been in and out of hospital for surgeries, including skin grafts, etc over the years.

He is in New York State. Has a ranch-style home and lives alone. He has a nurse that comes to the home and for his own reasons does not pursue an aide who would come in for a 'few' hours to help, preferring to hire a local to come in...she does more than an aide would do.

He was last taken by ambulance to the Hospital during our visit on Mothers day, a medical event occurred.

After hospital surgery his choice was rehab/nursing home. Which this time he declined. Understandable he is tired of rehabs...sometimes having to be transported distances to more specialized facilities for months at a time.

Usually a recommendation by your doctor; then an evaluation is done while in hospital. For the most part if you are alone a Dr. will recommend in-care rehabilitation, if you require 24  hour help, and they will offer/set-up PT on-site. Bonus is access to Dr. and nurses, etc.

A social worker in the hospital is the one who has the resources to set everything up for assistance regardless of where you go after hospital. Ultimately it is your choice. And your choice is your responsibility.

As far as getting to PT or Dr. appts. Medical Ins. will provide transport service/ per evaluation=need. Does your area have the community shuttle buses? Most people think they are for the elderly, but, social worker can give you the information and the bus will be able to take you food shopping and other places.
Does your Pharma deliver? One reason I picked the one I did, plus the drive thru..so give them a call.

I have no knowledge of spine surgeries...but, given what you have posted to date, it would seem that rehab would be safest. I would want to avoid a fall without having someone near.
Give the hospital social worker call. That way if you need to bring necessities you have them.
Hoping the procedure goes well and the mend is swift.   

Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

quietdynamics

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »
I'll call the PCP on Tuesday, since Monday is Labor day.  Tell them about my concerns and ask them to coordinate some care on my behalf.

... I am hoping to talk to my PCP about aftercare at a physio rehabilitation facility that is about 7 blocks from my home.

SjoAmy...that really does make safe sense as the best option for you and your best outcome recovery.

An accident left BIL paralyzed from the waist down 20+ years ago.

He has been in and out of hospital for surgeries, including skin grafts, etc over the years.

He is in New York State. Has a ranch-style home and lives alone. He has a nurse that comes to the home and for his own reasons does not pursue an aide who would come in for a 'few' hours to help, preferring to hire a local to come in...she does more than an aide would do.

He was last taken by ambulance to the Hospital during our visit on Mothers day, a medical event occurred.

After hospital surgery his choice was rehab/nursing home. Which this time he declined. Understandably, he is tired of rehabs...sometimes having to be transported distances to more specialized facilities for months at a time. However, his choice placed the stress on family who are hours away....fortunately for family Drs. kept him in hospital for about month and he had built up strength, DH went up when his brother came home for 4 days. 

Usually a recommendation by your doctor; then an evaluation is done while in hospital. If you are alone a Dr. will recommend in-care rehabilitation, if you require 24  hour help, and they will offer/set-up PT on-site. Bonus is access to Dr. and nurses, etc.

A social worker in the hospital is the one who has the resources to set everything up for after-care regardless of where you go after hospital. Ultimately it is your choice. And your choice is your responsibility. 

As far as getting to PT or Dr. appts when home, Medical Ins. will provide transport service/ per evaluation=need. You would have to weigh the pros and cons as they are usually carpool transports...so not at your convenience. Best not to stand waiting for a bus or be jostled.
Does your area have the community shuttle buses? Most people think they are only for the elderly, not so. Hospital social worker can give you the information and the bus will be able to take you food shopping and other places.
Does your Pharma deliver? One reason I picked the one I did, plus the drive thru..so give them a call.

The Masons do 'good works' and may be a resource for helpers, emergency contacts within the community. There are "strangers" out there who enjoy helping others. All we have to do is say "Please and Thank you"

Medicare if Dr. warranted may provide an aide for a determined number of hours, which may be broken up during the day.
So they may assign an aide to come in the AM to help you out of bed,light laundry, food, etc...then an aide would come in the PM to put you to bed. (That is what BIL would have gotten). He has groceries delivered. He is very independent, even to his detriment.

Given what you have posted to date, it would seem that rehab would be safest. I would want to avoid a fall without having someone near, someone on call 24 hrs. And then hopefully an aide a few hours 2 days a week if needed to help. (I learned that if you are the last client of the day on their shift and you need an extra hour, if you give them a heads up they may stay and you can make an agreement for fee/hr and pay out of pocket...at that point they are on their time.)

Give the hospital social worker a call for a heads up. That way if you need to bring necessities you have them.

Hoping the procedure goes well and the mend is swift.   
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

SjoAmy

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 07:48:38 PM »
Am going to the Anesthesia appointment this Friday September 6.  Wish me luck.  If anyone can throw a wrench into the plans for surgery and get away with it, it's these people.  Wish me luck in brown-nosing....I don't do it at all, usually....but I want to be xtra nice to these peeps.

SjoAmy

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 02:29:57 PM »
They will not let me know the time until the day before.

The appointment was good overall.

They are trying to rule out a UTI.  Urine culture will be here by the 11th.  I am udderly exhausted.

SjoAmy

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 09:02:18 PM »
Got the calls from heart doc and gyn......heart doc says potassium level is 4.3. A okay for surgery.  Gyn says urine culture came back with only microscopic hematuria, reviewed it again in light of my IgA nephropathy diagnosis we are A-Okay for surgery too.  Clearance all good now.  I get the time call tomorrow -- the time for surgery. 

Wish me luck.

My housing authority wants to see me on September 24.  Good luck, I'll most likely be in rehab for my surgery.  I hope they will reschedule.....if not....well.

slccom

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 11:30:27 AM »
"My housing authority wants to see me on September 24.  Good luck, I'll most likely be in rehab for my surgery.  I hope they will reschedule.....if not....well."

What is that about? Can we help?
Sharon

SjoAmy

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »
Too much doctor drama has happened today.

Ultimately.......the surgery registration time is 8:15 AM tomorrow morning, surgery time is estimated at 9:45 AM.

Housing Authority was cooperative (for a change!).  They are postponing the September 24 date.  I am to call them the 1st week in October, to update them on my progress. We're talking about a date between Oct 4 thru Oct 12....but they are willing to work with me on revising the date if I need time to heal.  They are being great about this.  It's to renew my section 8 lease.

I thought I was in the clear.....heart doc and gyn settled themselves.  Was happy.  Until the Endo calls me this morning.  Wants another Renin level.  She wanted the renin level that you have to lay down for 30 minutes for.  For whatever reason her lab couldn't do it STAT, as she wanted.  She talked to another doc in the practice, and I was given clearance -- basically out of quality of life -- and we can discuss the renin discrepancies (1.56 above the high end of range) at a later date.  They figured that because I walked to the office and that may be why it is high.  The Endo tried to cancel the surgery -- but didn't.

So tomorrow at 8:15 am, I will be registered for surgery.

You may not hear from me tomorrow.....usually the day of surgery is a crappy day.

slccom

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
I'll pray that God guide your surgeon's scalpel. We look forward to hearing how well you are doing afterwards!

Hugs, Sharon

quietdynamics

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 04:49:19 PM »

SjoAmy...Prayers for success tomorrow. Hope you get some rest tonight.

SjoAmy

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 10:21:01 PM »
Just can't fall asleep yet.  Perhaps part of it is the pain in my back.....but I think its because I am anxious.   

I took the 2 showers with the antiseptic like my pre op package said to.  Of course showers wake me up more than anything else. 

I'm just scared.

Who needs to watch the Rocky Horror Show when you have the idea of a cervical fusion to keep you up at night?

eija

• Serious case of hum-disease!
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 01:07:47 AM »
Sending prayers your way!

Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

Velcro

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 08:33:18 AM »
Thinking of you and prayers for a quick recovery.

SjoAmy

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2013, 09:54:39 PM »
This journey has been 14 days long.  Sept 12, surgery & seizures....Sept 13 & 14....all spent in the hospital....they got my anticonvulsant dosages wrong....set me up for more seizures on Sept 15, seized in the CT scanner to boot.  IV Adivan.  September 12-14 was on Morphine IV push every 4 hours. Sept 15- 23 on Roxicodone 20 mg prn or every 4 hours, which ever came first. 11:50 PM on Sept 23, I was given my first dose of Methotrexate, ever, 5 mg.  Was on 3 rounds of medrol, before the Mtx.  Sed rate was 123. After Mtx, sed rate was 60.  60 is my norm.  Norm.  Funny word.  Right now, it has been 24 hours from the Mtx dose.  Going much better than before it.  Pain would not go below 5 or 6 before Mtx.  Lots of daily averages were 8-9. Quite a few 10s too.  Today my pain was a 4 at worst.  Last night I got my first full nights sleep thanks to Mtx.  Looking to get discharged tomorrow.

Sorry I didn't update as I  went but I wanted to be relatively pain free first, to enjoy writing you all.

Thanks for the love, support and prayers.