Author Topic: surgery is scheduled!  (Read 11598 times)

SjoAmy

Re: surgery is scheduled!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 09:45:27 AM »
Surgery has been moved to AUG 30.

Will call neurosurgeon on Monday about home care, after anesthesia appt gives the final go.

Am getting testing done today & tomorrow.

Velcro

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »
Glad they moved it up.  Sounds like it's too dangerous of a chance for you to walk around this way.

slccom

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
Is there a church group who can help you? Or a local Masonic Lodge?
Sharon

SjoAmy

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »
There is a local Masonic Temple that I am good friends with...what could they do?

Got the EKG, Chest x-ray, and blood work done today.   MRI on Aug 26.

slccom

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 07:58:35 PM »
Tell them you are having surgery and see if you can get some people to help you right afterwards. Ask and ye shall receive. Especially if you have family members who are Masons.

Sharon

SjoAmy

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 09:00:14 PM »
Surgery is now suspended until September 27......due to blood work....low potassium level and high globulin.

slccom

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Bummer. But that gives you more time to line up some help.
Sharon

SjoAmy

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 05:36:23 AM »
Bummer. But that gives you more time to line up some help.
Sharon

At this moment, I could care less about lining up help.  I just want to get the surgery over and done with so that my pain level is reduced.  The less pain I have the more I can do. 

Don't get me wrong low potassium, as I understand now, is an EXCELLENT reason to postpone.  Don't want my heart giving out while I am on the table.  I didn't realize it was so low.  Before this, I was on Rx potassium pills. 

Learned that low potassium is also a risk for Stroke.

Potassium may be correctable......the Globulin, I'm not so sure....highest it has ever been 4.7.  Range ends at 3.5. 

And my nephrologist doesn't think this is related to the kidney!

Tell me how she can tell that without seeing me?   My R side of my body is SO SWOLLEN!

Ripvanann

• "A DESIRE FULFILLED IS A TREE OF LIFE"
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 06:55:54 AM »
I'm so sorry about this! I've had bulging discs in those areas for years and the pain has been unbearable at times. Mine has never been to the point where I needed surgery, so I can't imagine what you're going through.

I don't know where you live, but if you're close to Pittsburgh, PA, PM me and I will be there as much as possible. I could also line up people from church that would be happy to help and cook some rockin' food for you as well.

As others have mentioned, there are usually local churches or synagogues that would be more than happy to help. Finding them is the trick.

Praying for you!

~Andrea
Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, RA, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu, Citracal D & Pain Meds, Compazine, phenergan, Iberogast.

SjoAmy

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 08:19:32 AM »
Thank you Amanda & Andrea for your posts & support.  I'm far enough from Pittsburgh.....but not too far, at least if I could drive & had a car.   I'm in Erie, PA.  Ya know where Lake Erie, Erie County, city of Erie -- in Pennsylvania -- is?  That is me.   My neighbors in PA are Millcreek, Fairview, and Northeast.   Respectively to the south, west, and east.  States neighboring are Ohio (Akron & Ashtabula) and New York ( Buffalo and Ridley).

Craigs list....geez....people really have lost their common sense.  Ignore them.

SjoAmy

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »
Picked up Potassium tablets today.  It can't hurt to increase with supplementation, I figure.

Potassium Gluconate.   Besides, last night I ate a bannana, over a 2 hour period, when my hands started their usual nighttime tingle.  Worked so well I didn't need neurontin last night.  Figured there could be something to this potassium thing.......or is it ting.  Lol.

Nancy60

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »
Amanda is right about the Medicare. They way you qualify for home health are by your diagnosis and type of "skilled care" you need. PT, OT and nursing services( medications, blood draws, dressing changes etc...) and you must be home bound or unable to go to OP appts to have the care done. If you qualify for skilled care, then you can qualify for some non skilled care too, such as help bathing, showering, light housework or meal prep if you can't do it for medical reasons. The doctor, therapists and nurses have to determine what you qualify for, but with what you are having done, and the fact that you live alone and don't have family available to help, I'd be surprised if you did not qualify.

These are national laws, not state, so it is the same across the nation. Call Medicare or talk to your doctor.

Also, in patient visits, home health visits and out patient visits are all counted separately. Each has a limited number af visits per year. If your condition is serious and requires more than the allowed number of visits you can file an appeal for more with supporting documentation from your doctor, therapist etc...

Hang in there, things will work out.

Nancy

jazzlover

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
You MUST have someone to help you. No way you can get thru that safely alone.

Best wishes!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

SjoAmy

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
Surgery has been moved sooner.   SEPTEMBER 12, 2013.

I gave the office/scheduler/business manager of the neurosurgeon's office an earfull of constructive criticism and feedback.  She THANKED ME!......and that is not all....she said  "You're absolutely right Amy.  I need to schedule him more people on more days, especially with all the people that are backed up.  It is not fair to his patients, and you should've never had been rescheduled without your permission."

Every now and then, you get through to one of them, and for that day, it makes all the difference in all the world!

SjoAmy

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »
Yes I did.......what good that talk did is a different story.