Author Topic: surgery is scheduled!  (Read 11588 times)

SjoAmy

surgery is scheduled!
« on: August 19, 2013, 07:27:31 PM »
Got the go ahead today.  Surgery is scheduled for September 27, 2013.  His main concern is C6-C7.  Could do C7-T1 also.....but wants to get in there first.  The main PINCH is C6-C7.  He forewarned me of falling until then......the right fall at the right time, he said, would make for paralysis.

Suslew

Re: surgery is scheduled!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:15:56 PM »
Well be careful until then!!!!  Good luck with the surgery, I had a friend that had a very successful back surgery- wishing you the same!  And keep us posted...

ellenkerr

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:37:34 PM »
SjoAmy, Glad to hear you got a surgery date!  I was in the same situation prior to my surgery.  The doc said no falls or bumps because I would be a quadriplegic.  That made me so nervous.  I fell 2-3 times before the surgery and thank god nothing happened.  The worst was when I fell out of bed!!! LOL  Who does that?  I hope your surgery is successful.  You will be surprised at how fast you start feeling better.
Sending prayers your way.

((Hugs))

debter

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:06 AM »
makes me wonder how many people with sjogrens also have neck problems.  i had c5-6 and 6-7 done.

Velcro

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:26:12 AM »
So glad you got the go ahead.  Hopefully there is some relief in your near future!

Skylar

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:43:18 AM »
Good luck with the surgery  - sending you healing vibes.

ktfabian

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »
I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery.

For what it's worth, I had a fusion at L3/4, which extended an earlier fusion from L4/5 to L5/
s1 in 2009. I honestly woke up from surgery feeling better than I had when I went into surgery that morning. I hope the same is true for you.

In the meantime, might I suggest you consider wrapping yourself in bubble wrap?  Seriously, take it easy and let us know how you're doing when you're up to it after surgery,
Tracy

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:36 PM »
I have you in my thoughts and prayers for your healing. I have had the physical therapy for this stuff, which it helped, but it's fragile.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

SjoAmy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 06:52:02 AM »
Thank you for your many healing wishes and vibes!

My neck has been bulging in my sleep, for a while.  As of yesterday, it began it during the day.

I think I might just wrap myself in bubble wrap!

That right side of my neck is sore to touch.  Oh well.

Tracy:  It means a lot that you've lived to tell the tale.....  because this is my 2nd fusion, and it will essentially be a fusion on top of a fusion.  I had C5-C6 fused about 15 years ago....now it will be C6-C7.  He is considering plating that area. 

I also have problems with C3-C4 and C4-C5, mild central stenosis there, with LOTS of osteophyte complexes, which I hope he scrapes out at least.  He informed me, that one day we will have to operate there, and that day, I would basically get an all metal neck.

The things to look forward to!

SjoDry

• "When you are battling with a gorilla, you don't g
    • Sjodry and Parched
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »
I think I am congratulating you on getting the surgery date nailed down & fixing the problem. At the same time, I have had this same surgery (as I know you have also)..so I wish you a
speedy pace through the worst part of it. I still hate the smell of Dial Soap from washing those neck brace pads. But really, I am glad you are taking care of it. As your doc mentioned, these are serious problems that could get very permanently serious very quick.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

SjoDry
Sjodry
http://sjodry.wordpress.com/

Female 55 y/o; SJS Primary; CVID; Autonomic Neuropathy: Chronic Digestive/G.I. issues; Leukopenia;Tachycardia; Bronchiectasis; High Blood Pres; R.A.;Chronic Pain; Sub~Q IVIG infusions~Hizentra; Plaquenil; Restasis; Gapapentin; Breathing/nebulizer meds; Pain meds;

slccom

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 10:05:44 AM »
Would it be a good idea to wear a neck brace until then?
Sharon

SjoAmy

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »
Probably might not hurt to get a neck brace now.

I've been taping it with the KT tape, to increase circulation and decrease inflammation.  I confess, the hydrocodone takes everything pain related away, and I like it for that!  I only use 1 @ night....and my pain mgmt doc, only gives me 20, on a 30 day rx, so I don't get addicted. 

The scariest thing about it is that I live alone, and I won't have any one to help me through the recovery.

Nancy60

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 05:29:36 PM »
Do you have family or friends nearby that you could stay with right afterwards?  If not be sure to mention to your surgeon, there are acute rehab, transitional care and skilled nursing units designed for people who are recovering from surgeries, illness, accidents etc... that aren't quite ready to go home, but are not sick enough to qualify for hospital care. It is usually covered by insurance if the doctor justifies the need. You could call your insurance now to see if it is included in your policy. That way you don't have to worry that you can't care for yourself. There is also home health care, if you need therapy to regain strength, ability to care for yourself, you would qualify for PT, OT which would also qualify you for aide help for bathing, dressing etc if you need it. Again check with your doctor and insurance. 

I had a fusion of my L3-4 and I live alone. I went home with my sister and my neighbor checking on me but by the end of the first week, I had figured out how to adapt things so I could function. I had a shower chair and a reacher that helped a lot. Not being able to drive for 6 weeks was the worst part.

I know you have gone through this before.  I hope everything goes well!

Nancy

SjoAmy

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
My CLOSEST family is 10 hours away.

I don't have any friends that I would put my care in their house.

And I don't know how many would come over here to help.  I can't even get them to take me to the ER when I have pneumonia.  Insurance probably doesn't cover it....Medicare primary.

I have no siblings, my mom is the only relative left.  She is worse off medically than I am....I couldn't ask her. 

I don't drive, so aI won't miss it.I walk or take the bus.  Since I Will be recuperating during our winter.....good possibility I can fall on ice, and dislocated the surgery.....and that involves a risk of paralysis.

Nancy60

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »
Medicare covers rehab and skilled nursing and home healthcare. Talk to you're doctor ahead of time so he is aware of your needs. 

Nancy