Author Topic: surgery is scheduled!  (Read 11597 times)

Velcro

Re: surgery is scheduled!
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 08:43:57 AM »
Good to hear from you.  Wow, you've had a time of it.  Glad things are getting better and that the pain level has decreased that much! 

slccom

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2013, 10:00:15 AM »
I'm glad to hear that you made it through the worst of it! May the rest of the journey be much easier.

Hugs, Sharon

Ripvanann

• "A DESIRE FULFILLED IS A TREE OF LIFE"
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »
Thanks for the awesome update. Praying for fast and complete recovery. Sorry the journey stunk so bad.
Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, RA, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu, Citracal D & Pain Meds, Compazine, phenergan, Iberogast.

SjoAmy

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2013, 06:18:07 PM »
It's a little early to tell but, I do believe that the use of my right leg came back near 100%.

This rehabilitation place has some serious codependency issues.....3 days ago the only question I was getting asked was "When are you going home?".....now they want to hang on to me until tomorrow....they are worse than overprotective parents!

My entire left side and right leg seem good to go.  My right arm is another story.  It is still very heavy from the elbow down....that is after Mtx.

Before Mtx, it was from the right side of my neck to my right shoulder down to the elbow and down to the wrist.  Most painful was the elbow, and the heaviness of the entire extremity.

I am being told this is normal.  I refuse to believe such matters.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2013, 06:53:53 PM »
Sending healing thoughts and peace your way, SjoAmy.  You've come so far.........rest, relax, recover.

And keep us posted.  So wonderful to go with you through this journey.

Hugs, Elaine
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:50:12 AM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

SjoAmy

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2013, 07:33:57 PM »
Am home now.....hospital bed came right away.  I will try it out tonight.  I have a 4 wheeled respiratory walker, brand new, too.  My stamina is not where it ought to be.  Got plenty of ice packs on.  And an annoying Aspen neck brace.

Gonna go to bed in my new hospital bed.  Wish me luck.

Cricket

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »
Wow, I sure missed this post earlier!  Talk about chemo brain, but I an delighted you are home and are having good results.  Remember to get your rest.
Keeping you in my thoughts.
Cricket~
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

Velcro

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »
I hope the hospital bed is working for you and that you are feeling better.

slccom

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2013, 09:05:42 AM »
Rest, and heal.

Hugs, Sharon

SjoAmy

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »
Yes, when I am tired enough I will sleep on anything, I've discovered.  Being able to recline while sleeping is awesome for this neck.  I get about 3-4 hours sleep before pain acts up, and I have to get up when that happens. 

Am looking forward -- believe it or not, even despite the side effects, to taking Methotrexate tomorrow night, for my weekly dose.  Last Tuesday when I took the first dose, it dissolved all my pain and I got 9 hours of sleep that night!  Before that, I was getting 2-3 hours AT BEST before the pain and inflammation said hello again.  Night shift nurses hated me for it, I could never stay in bed long enough for them.

Am more afraid of the intensity of the inflammation and pain -- ESR WAS 123 -- than I am the side effects.  Imagine a pressure cooker....my muscles and bones especially felt pressure from all sides, like a pressure cooker, and I was not able to get comfortable despite having roxycodone for pain (20 mg).

I learned why... If the inflammation is not taken care of, the pain med becomes a secondary band-aid, that doesn't function well unless the inflammation gets taken care of.  I need Methotrexate to bring down the inflammation, since NSAIDs cause stroke and complex migraines in me, and Asprin results in anaphylaxis.

I am doing the best I can just for today though.

Thanks for your love, suggestions, support and prayers!  And hugs!!

Amy

SjoAmy

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »
The PT came today.  We did my work.  I have had the best luck with OTs & PTs!

The surgery was much more complex than what I was told.  My PT gave me the details:

Anterior cervical disketomy, partial corpectomy & decompression of thecal sac and nerve root bilaterally at C6-C7 level.  Anterior body fusion of C6-C7, anterior arthodesis between C6-C7 with spinal cord compression and myelopathy.

There was A LOT that I was not told.

SjoAmy

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2013, 11:47:26 PM »
So I got clearance to take off the brace today! 

If I am on a bus, being in a car as a passenger, or doing anything that could require quick movement, I need to wear it.  If I get pain, I need to wear it. 

But other than that.....neurosurgeon gave me clearance to keep it off as long as I can.

Which means......

drumroll please......

I can take a shower all by myself again!

I can change my shirts without an assistant helping me!

I will be able to shower & shampoo my Whole head tomorrow morning!!!!!!!

Yaaaaay!!!

It's the little things in life.  ;-)

Velcro

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Yay!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

slccom

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »
Why wait until tomorrow  morning? When I finally got the clearance to take a bath after my foot surgery, about 2 months later, I came straight home and did so!

I'm so glad it went well. Usually, the surgeon doesn't really know everything that will have to be done until they go in. Sort of like how when you go to fix something in the house and you have to remove some drywall, then you find out that the electrical and plumbing need work.

I'm glad your electrical and plumbing are fixed!

Sharon

mebog

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »

Hi,  Even   though i can WAlk without a walker, my DR. told be to always use one. He said if I fell and broke something I would not be able to have surgery because of my lungs.  The most important thing is "DON"T FALL' :'( :'( :'(
I'll keep you in my prayers,
Don't fall, ::) ::) ::)

mebog