Author Topic: What is the difference?  (Read 1407 times)

IrelandRose

What is the difference?
« on: October 25, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »
Hi everyone!
I am wondering what the difference is between Sjogrens primary or secondary?  I was dx'd with everything below at once but in my records it always has lupus listed first.  Any help would be wonderful, I haven't asked my pcp because I just discovered this tonight.

Thank you! :D

grammad97

Re: What is the difference?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »
I believe primary sjogrens is when it is your first diagnosis. Secondary is when it tags along with other autoimmunes.
Primary sjogrens, UCTD; osteoarthritis;osteopenia; HBP ;fibromyalgia;RX-plaquenil, butrans 20mcg patch ;flexaril;hydrocodone5/325;restasis, omega3, vit D, super B complex;s ;gluten free;lisinopril;moderate hearing loss

eija

• Serious case of hum-disease!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 05:26:59 AM »
Not autoimmunes, but connective tissue diseases:

http://www.sjogrens.org/home/about-sjogrens-syndrome/sjoegrens-faqs

"Sjögren’s is usually classified by a clinician as either primary or secondary. Primary Sjögren’s occurs by itself and secondary Sjögren’s occurs when another connective tissue disease is present. However, this classification does not always correlate with the severity of symptoms or complications. Primary Sjögren’s and Secondary Sjögren’s patients can all experience the same level of discomfort, complications and seriousness of their disease."

E.g. hypothyroidism is also an autoimmune disease, but even with that Sjögren's is primary. But with lupus it's always secondary.

Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

mshistory

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 06:10:35 AM »
Secondary Sjogren's is when it occurs in the presence of another rheumatic disease like lupus, scleroderma, or RA, so I also have lupus with secondary Sjogren's. I don't know why they make that distinction, honestly; they're both terrible in their own ways and they both seem like "primary" diseases to me!!
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

Nancy60

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 06:19:19 AM »
There is talk among Rheumatologists about dropping the primary and secondary distinction.  Not sure anything will come of it, but a lot of doctors feel the distinction is unnecessary. My understanding is the same as what mshistory stated, when lupus, RA, or Scleroderma occur along with Sjogren's it is considered secondary, otherwise it is considered primary.

Nancy