Author Topic: Sudden fatigue like I took sleeping pills, only i have to stay awake - WHY?  (Read 3552 times)

denise817

At least once a day I get unbearably tired. It comes on all of a sudden and I never know when it will strike. It feels like I took a handful of sleeping pills, only I can't go to sleep. I have to fight it to stay awake (usually because I'm at work, church etc). Sometimes I can even feel my eyes closing and falling asleep for a split second until I catch myself. I can't focus, because I'm so concerned about staying awake. Then after an hour or so it disappears as quickly as it came and I'm perfectly fine, like nothing ever happened and I feel awake and alert. It happens randomly, any time of day, whether I get 5 hours of sleep at night or 8 hours. Does this happen to anyone else? Why does it happen and how do I fix it? Is it a symptom of Sjogrens? A blood sugar issue? A whole other issue? I can't take it much longer! I hate feeling like this.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
For me it is an indication of pain. A pain pill will hold off the sleepiness. I may still have to take a nap to recover.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

SjoGirl

denise, yes been there though fortunately not as frequently as I used to. Happens more at night, I'm ready to zonk out by 9 p.m., but by the time I go to bed I feel like I want to stay up and watch the late show.

It gets exacerbated as the days get shorter and I believe there is likely a Vitamin D connection (sometimes B12 as well). Have you had your vitamin levels checked ever or lately/
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

SjoGirl

denise, yes been there though fortunately not as frequently as I used to. Happens more at night, I'm ready to zonk out by 9 p.m., but by the time I go to bed I feel like I want to stay up and watch the late show.

It gets exacerbated as the days get shorter and I believe there is likely a Vitamin D connection (sometimes B12 as well). Have you had your vitamin levels checked ever or lately/
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
I have that, with no apparent correlation. Just happens sometimes.

Can also be linked to eating lots of carbs for me - pizza and beer - ZZZZZZZ.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

SueAnn

I still get this sometimes, but not as often as I use too.  I get so tired I feel like I might get sick, but I nod off and can hardly keep my eyes open. 

I don't know why it happens, it just does.
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

Ripvanann

• "A DESIRE FULFILLED IS A TREE OF LIFE"
Denise,

Do you have any autonomic stuff going on? Have you been checked for sleep apnea and/or narcolepsy?

I get these attacks and the docs are confounded for the most part, save for my rheumy, who thinks they're "sleep attacks" from the autonomic nervous system being disrupted. Mine have been so bad that I think that it's adrenal crisis some times. It mimics it in so many ways. When I would do a prednisone boost, I would violently shake, almost as if I were in some sort of epileptic fit. Have you ever had a baby, or seen someone after labor who is trembling uncontrollably? Happened to me with our first son and that's exactly what it's like.  Truly frightening.

I have since found out a few things: first, my 02 drops into the 60's and 70's out of the blue. Will jump around for no apparent reason. I also know now (since getting a BP cuff) that my BP drops and goes up the same way. The sleep attacks coincide with this. Can you monitor either of these or both when you get this way?

Also, apnea will cause drowsiness during the day, but usually those "attacks" aren't caused by apnea. Finally, you can be narcoleptic without falling completely asleep. I found this out when trying to figure out what was going on with me.

Hope this helps a bit. Take care now.
~Andrea
Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, RA, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu, Citracal D & Pain Meds, Compazine, phenergan, Iberogast.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
I forgot to say welcome.

While I am glad that you found us, I do not like it that anyone else should have to deal with this health challenge. I am more frustrated when I see younger people with this illness understanding that there is so little that is being done to help us. I believe that the medical model for Auto Immune disease is wrong. I use alternative therapy because of bad reactions to Plaq and MTX.

Sjogrens: Dry eyes, dry sinuses, dry mouth, dry skin, and dry bum.

You may or may not be faced with other health challenges related to this disease that the doctors do not tell you about. Auto Immune (AI) diseases love to bring their friends. If you have one, eventually you will have more than one.

I like also suggest that people with AI diseases read Spoon Theory on the web. It helps to explain how our lives have changed and helps us understand how we can manage the changes to our lives.
http://butyoudontlooksick.com/navigation/BYDLS-TheSpoonTheory.pdf

1. Do not Panic: Anxiety can make your symptoms worse. I suggest that you read and practice the exercises in the book Feeling Good by David Burns. The book is on Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT). It has information on dealing with depression, grief and other mental health issues that you may face in living and managing this disease.

2. Breathe: For as long as you live always remember to breath. When we are in pain, our muscles go into a splinting action. I know that it is hard but we must remember to breathe through the pain.

3. Meditate: Meditation can help you deal with pain and symptoms. When you can do it for 15 minutes you will be at that stage. Here is a very easy meditation technique that will help you as it has helped me. Find a safe comfortable position and close your eyes. With your eyes closed, look to the top of your forehead. As you breathe in, think I am as you breathe out, think calm. Repeat as needed. Meditation can be as good as sleep.

With Sjogrens we tend to have a lot of infections so wear your polar fleece mumps scarf to bed. This will help your body to fight these infections. This link will help with the gland issues: http://www.chakraforce.com/Tonations.html#228.

Omega3, D3, C, Multivitamin, Probiotics seem to provide general support to our bodies when we are facing AI diseases. I like to add an 8oz glass of carrot juice every day to help my body generate endorphins.

I take what I call the Fabulous Five supplements and I wish I had known about them when I got my first AI disease. They are Alpha or R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Biotin, PQQ, and Co-Q10. As with any drug or supplement, do your own research and consult with your healthcare professional.

Sip-Swish-Swallow are the three Ss of Sjogrens.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
I have that sort of fatigue when I'm in a flare.

But now that you mention it, it does come on during the day......I would say mid to late afternoon.

It is so odd, because it is just that I MUST close my eyes.

I HATE to nap, so resist it like you would NOT believe.

I'm retired and mostly alone in the afternoons and I COULD nap easily.

But I do NOT want to nap.

It goes away after a while.

I have no idea what it is.

Hugs, Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Sleepy In Seattle

It happened to me daily for a couple of years before I was diagnosed and got treatment. Once the Lupus and Sjs got under control (plaquenil, methotrexate, and a teeny bit of prednisone, plus going low-carb and gluten/dairy/soy-free), I am happy to say it almost never happens anymore.

For me, it was definitely part of the diseases.
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day