Author Topic: Need assistance with filing for disability...  (Read 15634 times)

Autoimmunity

Need assistance with filing for disability...
« on: July 23, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »
I am going to try filing for disability online.  The checklist says you will need names of your doctors, etc.  So if my health issues have been going back a number of years, can I guesstimate the date(s) I saw certain doctors?  For instance I have changed endocrinologist a number of times.  My first endo would not treat my hashi's, but was treating me for pcos.  And I don't have actual medical records from those doctors, it has been years.  I did get my medical chart from my rheumatologist, but if I am applying on line is that even needed and do I have to chase down medical records that from other doctors?

slccom

Re: Need assistance with filing for disability...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
Do you have old date books or master calendars with your appointments on them? You might have their names there.

Go back as far as you reasonably can; what is more important is the current records, as I understand it.

Sharon

Autoimmunity

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »
Do you have old date books or master calendars with your appointments on them? You might have their names there.

Go back as far as you reasonably can; what is more important is the current records, as I understand it.

Sharon

That was a good idea.  I did have datebooks back to 2009. 

I am trying to get medical records from my gp who "retired" in April, I have to drive to another city tomorrow and sign a release and they have another week to get them to me.

**Can anybody tell me how I submit medical records with my application if I am applying online?  Should I just go ahead and do my application now?  Will they then request the records?  I have no idea how this works and don't know anybody who has done this.  Feeling a bit lost.

powderpuff

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »
Autoimmunity,

I filed several weeks ago. SSA is still trying to collect my medical records from the county so I will assist them in that since the county may never forward them. This is new to me too and I have found a wealth of information on the boards. There is so much to look through. More than anything we want to increase the chances that SSA will approve our claim the first time as appealing their decision can be long.

I sent SSA records as far back as 2006 since I believe that is when all of the AI stuff started. Many of my ailments in my claim started back then as well and the SSA representative said to include all ailments like the HBP, diabetes, and kidney disease as it all could be related to the sjogrens.

Even though filing online they still want your medical records as the Disability Examiner will go through your records with a fine tooth comb. After I submitted the Application and Adult disability report I hand carried one set of medical records to the local social security office. I will also hand carry or mail any additional information. It was stressful for me personally. You may want to do what you can prior to filing online as they have time limits to complete the adult disability report once you start it.

Hope this helps.

Autoimmunity

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »
Autoimmunity,

I filed several weeks ago. SSA is still trying to collect my medical records from the county so I will assist them in that since the county may never forward them. This is new to me too and I have found a wealth of information on the boards. There is so much to look through. More than anything we want to increase the chances that SSA will approve our claim the first time as appealing their decision can be long.

I sent SSA records as far back as 2006 since I believe that is when all of the AI stuff started. Many of my ailments in my claim started back then as well and the SSA representative said to include all ailments like the HBP, diabetes, and kidney disease as it all could be related to the sjogrens.

Even though filing online they still want your medical records as the Disability Examiner will go through your records with a fine tooth comb. After I submitted the Application and Adult disability report I hand carried one set of medical records to the local social security office. I will also hand carry or mail any additional information. It was stressful for me personally. You may want to do what you can prior to filing online as they have time limits to complete the adult disability report once you start it.

Hope this helps.

Ok, that is extremely helpful.  I am going to go around and sign the releases tomorrow for the records to be sent to me.  Is it better to file in person or online?  The office is in the next city about 45 minutes away, as our most of my medical records.  So I can apply online and does it assign you some sort of number and you can submit the records you have?  I am so sick right now the last thing I need is to be running around doing all this (dr. took me off meds as my white count went too low, so now I am in a ton (more) of pain than usual and just feeling completely ill, not sure why). 

Thank you so much for the assistance.

deniselb

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:52:08 PM »
I would like to suggest as strongly as I possibly can to get all your ducks in a row before you open your claim. And I would absolutely recommend filing online. It will allow you time to think through and revise your answers. You don't have to submit the application online until you are happy with it - although when I applied in 2007 I couldn't print the application until after I submitted it. I took screen prints of the individual pages so that I could review them as I went along. I also showed them to my doctor, and he recommended that I change some things. I think what he told me helped a lot.

The application asks you for dates and locations of every doctor visit, hospitalization and test. It doesn't tell you how far back to go or whether to include things that aren't related to the illness you're filing under; you need to figure it out. I spent weeks collecting all my records, and at least eight hours to organize it all and fill out the application. You should review the Social Security guidelines for the illnesses you're claiming, which are online. You don't want to make any mistakes. Don't submit your claim until you feel confident.

My application was approved the first time, in less than four months. But I'm quite sure that it would not have been if I had followed the bad advice of people who told me to file ASAP without preparing. And the legal websites helped also. Here is one: http://www.youtube.com/user/disabilitycases/videos

powderpuff

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 09:12:16 PM »
Autoimmunity,

Hope this helps.

Ok, that is extremely helpful.  I am going to go around and sign the releases tomorrow for the records to be sent to me.  Is it better to file in person or online?  The office is in the next city about 45 minutes away, as our most of my medical records.  So I can apply online and does it assign you some sort of number and you can submit the records you have?  I am so sick right now the last thing I need is to be running around doing all this (dr. took me off meds as my white count went too low, so now I am in a ton (more) of pain than usual and just feeling completely ill, not sure why). 

Thank you so much for the assistance.

When you file the online application they issue an application number. Print out the page and all information they prompt you to print. The app# will be used to access your application in the event you have to re-enter their system to complete it.

At the end of the Adult Disability Report (comes after the app) SSA will ask you to electronically sign a Medical Records Release Form. Although you sign this form for doctors to release med records to SSA they will be more than happy if you can obtain the records yourself.

It was more convenient for me to file online at the time because I was feeling horrible and just did not want to leave the house. The wait on the medical records has also bought me a little time to write a letter to SSA about my daily functioning.  The face to face interaction gives you the chance to ask important questions that filing online does not provide. I had so many questions after filing because I didn't know what to do next. Because my most recent medical records are skimpy, I do not believe they will help me; therefore, I am writing a detailed letter to the claims examiner about my limitations on daily functioning.

If you decide to go in person make sure you call for an appointment. Not calling may mean you could sit at SS for hours only for them to end up giving you an appointment to come back anyway.

I have found that SS representatives in this area are very helpful and friendly.

I'll be happy to keep you on developments of my claim.

jpd54

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 09:49:15 AM »
 My brain fog was instrumental in getting my disability.  Because I couldn't remember things, have a very long attention span and other things, I could not do any jobs.  Don't forget to add that in.  I did see a neuropsychologist and used his testing. That helped also.

Good Luck!!!

Jennifer
SJS, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, GERD, Rosacea, TMJ

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Lisinopril / Hydrochlorothiazide, Linzess, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren

Doxie

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »
I did a lot of research before I applied, including great advice from here, searching the Internet, and purchasing a few books. I found that unless you want to possibly wait a year or more, do all you can to get approved in the first place. ( I know, very obviously everyone wants to)

When I filed, I was going to do it online, but then I heard how important it was for them to actually see you and put a face with the name. I think that when I did that, it was helpful. You can ask questions, and you can tell them a few personal things that you can't otherwise put in your application.

But let me back up. I actually spent over a month after I quit work (I actually retired) gathering all of my doctors info. Like litliwlowa said, I created a spreadsheet with all of my doctors and hospitals, their addresses, phone numbers and fax numbers. (The disability dept. likes to fax them their request). It is important to note that if you can, get the records department numbers.  You will also want to figure out when you first saw the doctor, when you last saw the doc, and when your next appointment is.

I also created a spreadsheet (I already had one) of all my meds and information about them.  I expanded it so I could write in my spreadsheet side-effects from the medication, if any, to put in later forms.

Meanwhile I collected all my doctor and hospital/MRI  and get records. Make sure you know the names and dates of any important tests, who ordered them and where the records are at.

It is helpful to do all of that BEFORE you apply.  Once you apply, you are under deadlines, and things get stressful.

I then went online to the application website, found the phone number, called, and told them I wanted an appointment.  They proceeded to ask me several questions which I didn't know they were going to do, and wasn't quite prepared for. I scrambled for things I had already written up.  I guess they screen people before they will make appointments. That was my "official application".  I wasn't crazy about it, and if I had to do it again, I'd do it the same way, but just be prepared to orally tell them.  Just be aware that it may be awhile before you get your appointment, depending on how busy they are.

He then told me to go online and do the next part on the web. That's the big part where you enter all of your doctors, prescriptions, and details about your ailments. I made sure to make copies of it.  Even though I though I was prepared, I still had to save it and go in and out many times. 

I took all of my medical records to my appointment with the disability examiner.  I wasn't sure how useful they were. They scanned them in, but they said that they have to get them straight from the doctors. It was good to be able to talk to him.  He gave me estimates as to how long it would be, and that I could call him for questions. You don't get that if you do it online only.

slccom

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »
There is extensive discussion of applying for disability on this site. You can search for "applying for disability" and find the information.

It is a process. Remember that!

Sharon

powderpuff

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 11:43:49 AM »
Meanwhile I collected all my doctor and hospital/MRI  and get records. Make sure you know the names and dates of any important tests, who ordered them and where the records are at.

Doxie, Thanks for the info. Does DDS look at the original radiological reports?

Doxie

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »
If you put down your back, for example, they will look for any radiology reports of your back to verify your claim. For instance, do the films seem to back up what you say about your claim of pain and disability?  If it diagnosis is severe, and on the blue book listings, they will fast track it straight to approval.

The big thing though, is not the pain, but how the pain and disability affect your ability to work.  Always relate everything to that. 

The same with Sjogrens.  I looked at all they had listed for Sjogrens, and everything they had listed, that I also had,  I listed in their terms, and then explained how it affected my life, and how it kept me from working.

Autoimmunity

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 03:51:10 PM »
Thank you Jennifer, my brain fog/general confusion is one of my biggest issues.  I recently went to a neurologist and he did an mri, it showed sinus problems, but I did not have m.s. like I was starting to think.  He also did an mri on my neck and it does show left sided disc protrusion at multiple levels.  He actually asked me if I had been in a car accident (no).  Now I have to go back for nerve testing.  I am now have scoliosis which I did not have before, which I have been told is "normal aging" but my back pain is severe and there is nothing normal about that.

I went to the big city today and it took me ALL day in 97 degree heat driving around signing waivers trying to get records.  I mostly got "we will call you".  Total nightmare.  I did get my neurologist records, my endocrinologist stating narcolepsy and I have my rheumatologist.  Waiting on my records from my g.p. who retired in April and two other endo's I had seen previously.  I already have the MRI report and labs, labs and more labs.

Somebody sent me a link to youtube and filing for disability and I am going to watch that.  I think I will do it online.  I do not do well in crowded, loud places and I cannot think.  I am also horrible in sticking up for myself and trying to explain how I am unable to work (desk job), but being exhausted 95% of the time, in pain, severe brain fog and trying to do a stressful job with triple the workload has just become too much.  Even just this little running around for records trip today was waay to much for me.

And yes, I found it ridiculous, some of the providers no problem giving me copies of MY records, some charge .60 cents a page.  They are my records.  Both I and my insurance company already paid for that information.  I know somebody has to copy them and such (I work for a hospital in billing), but that is ridiculous.

Thank you, thank you for all the advice and information!

Autoimmunity

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
Ok, yes, this is literally how niave I am! "He was able to have his interview same day without much difficulty."

So you file online and then still have some sort of interview?  Sounds highly intimidating.  What kind of interview is it?  What kind of things do they ask you?

grammad97

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 10:34:42 PM »
I filed online after my second rheumy suggested I should be on disability. I entered in all the names of docs and their addresses and that's all I did. My hubby and I each got a survey to fill out regarding my daily activities and what I could/couldn't do and about three months later. I got acceptance letter and a check. No calls; no appointments ...

Primary sjogrens, UCTD; osteoarthritis;osteopenia; HBP ;fibromyalgia;RX-plaquenil, butrans 20mcg patch ;flexaril;hydrocodone5/325;restasis, omega3, vit D, super B complex;s ;gluten free;lisinopril;moderate hearing loss