Author Topic: Need assistance with filing for disability...  (Read 15374 times)

Autoimmunity

Re: Need assistance with filing for disability...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »
I filed online after my second rheumy suggested I should be on disability. I entered in all the names of docs and their addresses and that's all I did. My hubby and I each got a survey to fill out regarding my daily activities and what I could/couldn't do and about three months later. I got acceptance letter and a check. No calls; no appointments ...

Wow, I pray to God it goes that easy for me!  I, as most of us, am a case of I look perfectly fine, but nobody else has any idea what I go through daily or how hard it is for me or that I go home immediately after work, skip dinner, sleep for hours, force myself to get up to shower for the next day and do it all again. 
Thanks for your story, inspiring.

Autoimmunity

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 07:38:50 PM »
Ok, confused!!!  Went online to apply, first off, after everything subject it would kick me off and I had to wait 5 minutes to get back on  >:( 
It has you enter you your illnesses and gives you hardly any room..guess I have too many illnesses.

At the end you can enter a statement to clarify things, so I put all my illness and a short summary of why I could not work..again, hardly any room. 

My confusion is it has you finalize and submit (haven't done yet), but hasn't asked for any doctors info. on the application??  What am I missing?  Will they come back and get that later?  I made the whole list of doctors and dates and the application is not even asking for it. 

Not even sure if my summary was good, but didn't know what to even say.  ugg.

powderpuff

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »
Autoimmunity,

I did the same thing. I submitted the App then SSA contacted me and asked me to go back in to complete the Adult Disability Report. They gave me a short amount of time to complete. This next part is where you need to have everything on hand, ie., dates, tests, meds etc. Please print everything you complete for your records.

Autoimmunity

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »
Autoimmunity,

I did the same thing. I submitted the App then SSA contacted me and asked me to go back in to complete the Adult Disability Report. They gave me a short amount of time to complete. This next part is where you need to have everything on hand, ie., dates, tests, meds etc. Please print everything you complete for your records.
Ok, so I can also do that online and what is a short amount of time?  Also, is it okay to put the explanation of my illnesses like I did?

Thank you!

slccom

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »
Autoimmunity,

Ok, so I can also do that online and what is a short amount of time?  Also, is it okay to put the explanation of my illnesses like I did?

Thank you!

The more information you give them, the better! Share your reality with them in great detail.
Sharon

powderpuff

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 10:22:40 PM »
Autoimmunity,

Thank you!

I filed on May 13 and they contacted me via email and gave me until May 20th to get the Adult Disability Report into them. I had most of the info I needed but I still felt overwhelmed by the process because of the amount of tests I had.

powderpuff

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 10:34:51 PM »
Autoimmunity,

Doxie is correct, turn in all of the information about how sjogrens affects your everyday life with the Adult Disability Report. I made the mistake of not including it when I sent the info online and now I am back tracking and may have to pay the price in the end.  am totally overwhelmed with it now...Ugghhh!!!

powderpuff

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 10:43:25 AM »
Autoimmunity,

Doxie is correct, turn in all of the information about how sjogrens affects your everyday life with the Adult Disability Report. I made the mistake of not including it when I sent the info online and now I am back tracking and may have to pay the price in the end.  am totally overwhelmed with it now...Ugghhh!!!

powderpuff

you can call your local SSA office and explain that you have MORE information to provide relative to your claim, and ask how to go about getting that information to them. Document date, time of the call and who you spoke with also.

Thank you LitliwIowa,

I called DDS this morning. The case worker was extremely nice and friendly. She said she had forms to send me (Function Report & Work History). I advised I started filling out the function report and she said she appreciated my proactiveness and she doesn't see that very often. She said she just received my file two days ago and that it would be several weeks before a decision was made because she has not received my records from my current doctors. This gives me more time to complete the paperwork.

Doxie

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 01:21:51 PM »
Powderpuff,

That was good you called her.  I think you are earning brownie points when she knows you are doing your part.  The case workers are evaluated on their efficiency too. She can document your call, and knows you are doing your best. So if the doctors info isn't back yet, then no worries.  Just remember that you can  always type up what you need to and then refer it to the question number.  On many of the questions in those extra forms they send, I just said to see the attachment. 

Make sure and keep copies of everything you turn in.  Also, when you are done,  fax it in. When it is faxed in, with your case number on that cover sheet, it goes in straight to your file.

It sounds like they are on the ball in processing your claim. That's good. Now we want a good outcome!

Doxie

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
Autoimmunity, so did you finish your application?  Once you finish it is when they give you a short amount of time.  I actually had about 3 weeks, because I had called and requested an appointment. I couldn't get the appointment for about 3 weeks, so I had that long to finish the adult disability report. You could always request longer like Powderpuff did.

Someone mentioned that they should keep the DDS updated of any new tests and doctor appointments, etc.  Just be aware that every time you do that, you delay your case. So don't do that unless it's significant.  For instance, I had been calling once in a while to find out what doctors hadn't turned in their info (so I could call and prod them).  I finally had them all in.  So after a few weeks, I called for the status, and found out they were still waiting for some doctor notes.  Say what???  When I quizzed the DDS, they said that I had another doctor appointment so they need updated doctor notes. So I called my doctor, talked to records, and they told me they send in info. When I asked when they had sent it in, it was, of course, before my last appointment.  I asked them to send in notes to the last appointment, which they did.  Finally, DDS felt like they had everything and could then start evaluating the case.

So when you tell them about new appointments and tests, they are obligated to out things on hold and request info.  Only do it if you need it to win your case at that point.

deniselb

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »
The short amount of time they give you to complete your application once you file is the reason I urge people to collect all their records and figure out what they want to say ahead of time.

When I went in for my interview the woman couldn't find the forms that I had submitted online, so she wanted me to do them again right then and there. I tried to tell her over and over that it took me eight hours to fill out the forms with the entire living room floor filled with all the papers I needed to do it, so there was no way we could just do it off the top of my head. She completely ignored me and kept asking questions I couldn't answer. Did she think I had ten years worth of medical history in my head? It was surreal.

Luckily one of her coworkers came along and helped her find my file in the system.

powderpuff

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 03:21:34 PM »
Autoimmunity, so did you finish your application?  Once you finish it is when they give you a short amount of time.  I actually had about 3 weeks, because I had called and requested an appointment. I couldn't get the appointment for about 3 weeks, so I had that long to finish the adult disability report. You could always request longer like Powderpuff did.

Someone mentioned that they should keep the DDS updated of any new tests and doctor appointments, etc.  Just be aware that every time you do that, you delay your case. So don't do that unless it's significant.  For instance, I had been calling once in a while to find out what doctors hadn't turned in their info (so I could call and prod them).  I finally had them all in.  So after a few weeks, I called for the status, and found out they were still waiting for some doctor notes.  Say what???  When I quizzed the DDS, they said that I had another doctor appointment so they need updated doctor notes. So I called my doctor, talked to records, and they told me they send in info. When I asked when they had sent it in, it was, of course, before my last appointment.  I asked them to send in notes to the last appointment, which they did.  Finally, DDS felt like they had everything and could then start evaluating the case.

So when you tell them about new appointments and tests, they are obligated to out things on hold and request info.  Only do it if you need it to win your case at that point.

Doxie, you made some good points here. I actually have a first time appointment coming up in September with a psychologist and my PCP referred me to a neurologist. I believe the two appointments will be pertinent to my case; however, I am hoping the information I submit and the doctors notes will be enough that they will approve my claim right away. My rheumy's notes are very skimpy.

Also, SSA has asked me to file for state disability through my former employer. I was shocked since I have not worked there for over a year (June 2012).

When I left, I was ill but did not consider myself disabled and was looking for work. By the end of August 2012, I was pretty sure I was not going to be able to work for a while. Here in CA, it is almost impossible to reach the state disability people on the phone and the two times I've gotten through, they hang up.

It's frustrating because I have questions regarding who should fill out the paperwork, my former doctor or current doctor? Wouldn't make sense to go back and have Kaiser fill out the paperwork since they are not aware of the sjogrens diagnosis.

Autoimmunity, do you have long-term disability through your employer?

Autoimmunity

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 12:29:12 PM »
Ok, need clarification please.  Filling out the adult disability report.  It asks for when you first saw the doctor and last saw the doctor.  So I am not listing all of the appointments I have had in between, correct?  Because I thought someone had said I need to put down all my appointments and I don't see that.
The other thing is it asks if you have had labs done and when.  Ok, well if I have seen, for example a doctor for 3-5 years and had numerous labs done, what do I put down?  I do not have a specific date?  Can I just put down labs done repeatedly or something like that?  A lot of the records have attached lab work, so hopefully not an issue.
And then at the end I kind of put a synopsis of why I can no longer work and a statement to the effect that I never expected I would have to apply for disability I am just no longer able to work.  Does that make me sound "jackassy"??  LOL. 

THIS IS SO HARD!

powderpuff

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 04:42:33 PM »
I agree with LitliwIowa. Call SSA and get clarification. The process only gets harder, at least it has for me. I hired Allsup yesterday as I believe their professional advice will be helpful to win my claim. The small fee will be well worth the larger headache I will have if I continue this on my own.

Autoimmunity

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »
I agree with LitliwIowa. Call SSA and get clarification. The process only gets harder, at least it has for me. I hired Allsup yesterday as I believe their professional advice will be helpful to win my claim. The small fee will be well worth the larger headache I will have if I continue this on my own.

THANKS YOU GUYS.

I originally tried ALLSUP, but they won't touch my for 5 months.  Somebody here sent me a link and it says apply right away.  So that is what I am doing and if I need to hire allsup later, I will.  And I didn't want negative comments, but the truth is I am still employed.  I went on medical leave for a month from Feb. to March, when I went back I got much worse.  The pain was worse, lost a bunch of weight, having severe pain in my back, having disc problems with my neck..yada yada, yada.  At any rate, I am once again on medical leave for the next 2 months.  I am sure I will be fired before then as my FMLA expires at some point, but who knows when as nobody ever kept track.  Even if I don't get fired I am going to let my sick leave run out and I guess I don't want to quit, but I won't be going back, I have to many problems.  I am the girl who went back from leave in March and they trippled my work.  I couldn't do it before they trippled it, sure can't do it now.  Faxed rheumy short term disability paperwork 2 weeks ago, haven't received that back yet.  So going to try for short term, long term disability and soc sec disability.  I can't even sit in a chair for an hour without agonizing back pain, let alone 8 hours.  Very, very scary as I am single, I have NO other support, but I literally cannot do it anymore.  I got my water bill in the mail today and apparantly forget to pay it last month.  Have forgotten to pay my credit card bill twice in the last several months.  Stuff like that is getting more and more frequent and it is scary.  Not like me at all.  So I am putting my faith in God and praying for once I can catch a break. 

I truly appreciate everyone's help.  I can see how someone could easily give up, especially when you are so ill.  It is just overwhelming.