Author Topic: our family pet  (Read 5982 times)

Winnie

Re: our family pet
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »
Cassi
Thank you for sharing your story.  I am so sorry for your loss.

We are still struggling from day to day whether to put our dog to sleep. She still seems to have that spark, but not always.

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

Cassi307

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »
Thank you Winnie. It is a hard decision to make. I wish you the best. Cherish your dog as long as you can. I have 2 other dogs. Sam was her mate. They did everything together or at least he did everything she made him do lol. She was the alpha dog!

I have wonderful memories to cherish.
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis,  Meds:  amlodipine, low dose Prednisone, calcium, sodium bicarbonate. Also, multivitamin and B complex

ellenkerr

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 07:29:56 PM »
Winnie, Cassie and for all of you who have loved and lost a pet.  It's never easy to lose a family pet or know when it's time to say

goodbye.  Our pets trust us to help them ease their pain and end their suffering, although it is heartbreaking.  As I was reading these

posts this evening my eyes are filled with tears remembering my two little black Scottish terriers, Mac and Molly.  They've been gone about

8 years, but I will never forget them.  We had Mac put to sleep when his cancer was making it hard to breath.  Molly lived another year

and started having seizures, so I talked to my family and decided that we would have to put her to sleep before too long.  My son in law

promised me when it was time, he would take her for me because I couldn't do it myself.  One night I got up in the middle of the night

to check on her and found her dead, laying in the middle of the hallway.   I cried and cried and covered her with one of her blankets,

but couldn't bring myself to move her.  I stepped over her going back to the bedroom, then again when I went to the kitchen.  I put on

pot of coffee and decided this was serious enough to wake my son-in-law up in the middle of the night, to come help me.  I felt bad

because he had been working overtime and was getting very little sleep, but I dialed the number anyway.  After a little sleepy

grumbling, the son-in-law says he will scrape the snow off his truck, and drive across town to help me.   When he finally arrived,

extremely sleepy and cold, he rang the doorbell.  I once again stepped over my  lifeless friend to get the door.  My son in law steps in

the house and I start crying again, and suddenly, Molly got up from under her blanket, wagged her tail and greeted my son-in-law

with a big wet kiss.  He looked at me, and then the clock on the mantle....and I sheepishly replied "false alarm?"

Well little Molly had a great rally for a few more months, but then it was time.  My son-in-law still kids me today about not taking a nap

at my house!

Cassi307

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »
Oh my goodness mizzy! Thank you for the smile. I needed that. I am glad that Molly left you with such a funny memory.

Her loss was harder because I was already stressed from my ER visit on Friday, the kidney infection, the flare symptoms and yet another bout of costochondritis. Ice that cake with a teenage son who thinks life should stop because he broke up with his girlfriend and worry about missing a deadline to file a grant at work. I was crazy and couldn't stop crying. Reading your story reminded me to put things in perspective.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:39:53 PM by Cassi307 »
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis,  Meds:  amlodipine, low dose Prednisone, calcium, sodium bicarbonate. Also, multivitamin and B complex

slccom

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 08:59:43 PM »
I'm so sorry, Cassie. Such little dogs to leave such big holes in our hearts!

I was out weeding, and missing all the dogs who used to "help" me.

Hugs, Sharon

eija

• Serious case of hum-disease!
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 07:26:59 AM »
So sorry for your loss, Cassi  :'(

Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

Cassi307

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »
Thanks everyone. I have 2 other dogs bust she is my favorite. She was never more than a few inches away from me. Yesterday while I was walking around the house I realized how much more room there was. She left a big hole physically and emotionally.

Winnie I know it is painful but we waited too long. That last seizure was awful for her to experience and awful for us to watch. I wish I had the corkage to do it sooner. I wish you luck and support.

connie50

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »
I too am very sorry for everyone that has lost a treasured family member.

We lost our Beauceron without warning on Saturday.  He seemed perfectly fine when we left for
my husbands company BBQ and I found him in the laundry room when we returned 4.5 hours later.  The only ones that will know for sure are my 2 std. poodles that were with him in the house but they aren't talking...

The shock and disbelief were so great that neither of us could cry on Saturday but Sunday was a different story, the pain is immense and the loss and emptiness so very great. Everything in the house reminds us of Viper.

He was my husbands "big boy" and the kind of dog that came along at just the right time for him and changed his life.  Our hearts are still heavy but the happy memories are beginning to come back. 

All I ever wanted for my pets was that they do not suffer.  I waited a bit too long with my Cocker Spaniel some 10 years ago and it haunts me to this day.  We hope Viper did not suffer ,Heaven help us if he did and that it did not last too long.  We know their is a special place in Heaven for Viper, until we meet again...

Cassi307

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 05:29:22 PM »
Connie, I am sorry for your loss. The pain is fresh and we can only hope it will be replaced by the happiest memories.  I agree with you- it feels like a hole with a pet gone. I like to think she is up in pet heaven running and playing and waiting for me.

We also waited too long. It is my deepest regret over Lucy's loss. We just couldn't let go. I swear I will not let that happen when Sam's time comes.

Sending hugs of support...

connie50

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 09:11:54 AM »
Thank you Cassi for the hugs of support.

I know my husband and I are beginning to accept the loss as we were able to share our favorite Viper story last night.  It's a good one- thought I would share it with all of you as well.

My husband became familiar with the Beauceron breed while on a job.  He loved how proud,noble and aware the breed is, just perfect for him.  A Beauceron is a head turning dog, they are that beautiful.  This will be important to remember as you read farther down  :D

He made contact with a breeder some 600 miles away inquiring about fees, next available litter etc.

They kept in contact and one day she emailed that she didn't know if he would be interested but she had a
15 month old male that was to be her show dog.  Turns out that his bite was under shot which disqualified him
in the ring and also was unethical to use him as her breeding dog.  We could have him for free if we would come pick him up.

Needless to say, we made a power road trip to Northern California to meet this dog.  My husband was pretty sure he would like the dog so we came prepared with a collar, leash, large crate and blankets.

Viper was beautiful, nervous but what dog wouldn't be knowing something is up.  She said he would need work on his socialization skills, all the while busily feeding him bits of hotdogs.  She said they were his favorite treat.

We loaded Viper in his crate and headed down the road.  We made it a couple of miles before we noticed this
awful, gagging smell.  We pulled over on the side of the road and realized that this poor dog was so nervous that he threw up (surprise ! hotdog bits) and pooped too.  Thank goodness for the blankets- got him sort of cleaned up and off we went again.

Another couple of mile and Whew !  this time major diarrhea sloshing everywhere, all over him and the crate.  Way too much to clean up.  Called the breeder for the nearest self service dog washing area in her small town.

Luckily for us, Petco had just opened a couple of weeks ago.  We get there and Surpirse! they are having their grand opening celebration.  Local media and radio set up right between the front entrance and the entrance to
the grooming salon.  No way to sneak and poop covered ,VERY stinky dog and his sloshing crate into the store.

All we could do was to take a deep breath and march him right through what seemed like a million people
into the grooming salon.  What a way for poor Viper to get his first bath... once cleaned up, we gave him a bit of immodium and he was good the rest of the way home.

We love this story although Viper was less then thrilled.

Cassi307

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »
I LOVED that story!! What an introduction to your family lol. But, you guys came out smelling like roses after that groomer visit with hopefully no more diarrhea the rest of the way home.

All these happy stories help us work through our grief. Thank you for sharing.

slccom

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 11:40:20 AM »
I am so sorry for your loss, Connie. Finding a beloved pet just lying dead is horrible. It is better than losing one because you were careless and let the dog run into traffic, though. I figure that for every tear, there were a thousand smiles and laughs.

Except for eating my hearing aid. That wasn't funny, Paige!

Hugs, Sharon

Velcro

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »
So sorry for everyone's losses.  My cat is my child and so spoiled.

Loved your story Connie.  (I had to go google the breed.  Gorgeous!)

Winnie

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
Today we put our black lab to sleep.  She is at peace now.  I know we did the right thing but it didn't make it any easier for our family.  It felt like re-living through the movie "Marley and Me" all over again. We brought her home and buried her.  I am going to plant a tree to remember her.

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

Cassi307

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »
Oh Winnie! I am so sorry, I understand and feel complete sympathy.

Your lab was a lucky dog who was loved and cared for until her last moment.

Sending hugs...