Author Topic: our family pet  (Read 6089 times)

Winnie

our family pet
« on: July 22, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »
Our dog is 12 years old and possibly has a tumor or blockage at the base of her heart.  She is having difficulty breathing.  We have tried medicine and I don't think she is any better although I don't think she is worse.  The heat is making it difficult since she is an outside dog.  I put her in my utility in her kennel in the afternoons.  She sleeps like a baby.  My 2 boys take care of her but we are having a lot of trouble accepting this and making this decision.  We all go back to school/work in several weeks.  I call the vet tomorrow with an update.  I am looking for some comforting thoughts to make the decison to put her asleep easier for my family.

Thanks

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

Cassi307

Re: our family pet
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »
Winnie
My heart goes out to you since I have 2 elderly dogs who both have health issues. I believe that your dog will let you know when it is time. You said she is having trouble breathing so that is not a good sign.

Call your vet and be guided by what he thinks. It is hard to see our pets suffer.

Sending hugs and support.
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis,  Meds:  amlodipine, low dose Prednisone, calcium, sodium bicarbonate. Also, multivitamin and B complex

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:53:13 PM »
I feel for you. I had to be there when each of our Westies was put to sleep. Jan came with me on the last one. They are pain free now and for that I am thankful. I still miss them all.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »
Dear Winnie,

My heart goes out to you.

Quality of life is the key.  Your beloved dog doesn't know what is wrong, which is a blessing in a way.

My younger cat (7) has severely deteriorated hip joints.  The vet has never seen anything so terrible.

I give him an NSAID twice a week, and help him onto the bed to sleep next to me.  He likes to be very warm, so he has a bed that is like an igloo and he wants to go out on the porch in the 90 degree weather, so we let him be out there, with a gate to protect him.

The doctor talked about hip surgery, and I will discuss that with her, but I'm not up for hip replacements because he won't understand the pain and separation from us.  And I can't even imagine the cost!

Right now he seems happy enough but he sleeps more than the 12 year old cat.

I am watching to see how he's moving and how 'happy' he is.

If he's not happy, that will be it.

I've seen so many people put their beloved pets through so much, because they don't want to let go, even tho' the quality of life will be so very very poor no matter what they do.

It is just very very hard.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

eija

• Serious case of hum-disease!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 07:27:55 AM »
Winnie, like Caroline said already: Quality of life is the key. I have a principle with my pets: I try to make sure that they'll be put away rather a bit too soon than a bit too late. However, making the decision is never easy. Never.

Right now my horse is living her last days. I know many would still keep her or sell onwards, but I don't think her life is worth it anymore. Why? Because she loves to gallop as fast as she can with a rider, but now that causes her pains afterwards. She'd be doomed to just walking and even with that with intermittent pains - and that's no good quality life for her. So I'm letting her go, but with a heavy heart. And yes, many days still fighting with myself if I'm doing the right thing or am I too hasty.

I'm sorry you have to go through this struggle, too :(

Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

Velcro

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:32:48 AM »
So sorry Winnie.  It's always such a hard decision.  I agree with the others, it boils down to quality of life and the amount of suffering that it is causing.  Once the suffering surpasses the ability to function, it's time.

Winnie

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »
I talked to the vet today and they are going to try one more drug.  I will give it until next week and that will proabably be it.  It is just so hard to deal with, especially my boys.  I asked for prices to put her asleep today and the nurse sympathized with me as she is going through a similar situation.  I felt so bad that all I could do is nod my head, turn around, cry and walk out with the dog perscription.  Well, I guess my antidepressant isn't taking care of this problem very well.

Thanks for the advise.  I know it is the right thing to do.  I just need to help my family understand that she can't suffer.  I know that I wouldn't want to suffer and I know she wouldn't either if she could tell me.

Winnie

Katybarstool

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »
Winnie

We were in a similar position a couple of years ago with our little ginger terrier. I talked it through with my sister, who is mad about animals. Her advice was to give him his dignity by knowing when his ime had come. She was right. He hated being incontinent and no longer being able to run around the fields. We miss him every day, but the decision was the best present we could give him.

Kathyx

tiffferoni

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
It is very difficult to have to make this decision.  I have had to make this decision before.  Your pet's quality of life is the most important thing...I'm sure that I'm not telling you anything you don't know.  I'm sending prayers your direction!

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »
hi Winnie.

I am sorry you are going through this. I myself had to make this
decision for our dogs over the years....never easy

Seemed after it's done I think...what if I waited it out or maybe we should of tried that...etc..

Look into your dogs eyes....you'll know when it's time.

take care.
eye2dry
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

slccom

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 08:12:58 PM »
My heart goes out to all of you! We lost our littlest, most adorablist one suddenly and unexpectedly, and Mr. Bojangles decided to take off on his own, too.

I don't know which is harder, but I do know that the love we share will always be there.

Hugs to all, Sharon
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:01:18 PM by slccom »

Aquarius

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 06:23:17 PM »
Winnie,  My heart goes out to you.  I lost my dearly loved Border Collie earlier this year.  My animal companions are members of the family.  It is enormously difficult to see them in pain and nearing the end of their earthly life. 

Talk to her, explain what is happening, repeat how much you love her and how she has enriched your life.  Ask her to give you a sign to let you know when it's time to go. 

If you pray and have special healing prayers or bible verses that bring comfort, read them to her.   

Animals understand a lot more of our thoughts and words than we think.  She'll feel your love. 

I read a book about grieving for pets for dummies, or some title like that.  Never forgot a statement that had a profound impact.  When we adopt an animal, we become caretakers of their physical body and spirit, and we sign up to be with them not only in life but also at their passing. 

Candidly I want to run during the latter because it is beyond, beyond utterly painful.  But as their Mom, it is an obligation to be by their side, to be their constant.  We must ensure they are out of pain and make the transition surrounded by love.  This is about doing right by them, not about our personal anguish.  I had to continually remind myself of it the evening my border collie passed.

I pray for the gift of discernment for you in the days ahead. 

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 12:52:19 AM »
We lost our Jo Jo doggie baby boy this year, and not long ago lost our big white fur baby kitty boy Charlie. It is so hard, and it's just as bad for some of us as people in our lives. They truly become our family.

We had Charlie over 10 years, but didn't know his age when we got him, and Jo Jo we had since he was a baby. He was about 6 years old.

We have now 3 other doggie babies getting older, and I can't even think about it, and we have a new little girl that is about 2 years old, and is a delight.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Winnie

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I just got another week's supply of medicine for her.  She doesn't seem to be suffering unless she tries to keep up running around with the boys.  It is cool here so that is helpful for her.  We need to sit down and talk about it as a family but my husband is avoiding it.  :(

Winnie

Cassi307

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »
My 12 year old cocker spaniel passed away today. She has been in poor health and had difficulty walking and her vision was poor. We had planned to say our final good byes last week but she seemed to pick up and we changed our mind. She seemed to be struggling this weekend so we decided it was not fair to her to make her hang on. We had an appointment for tonite and shortly before we were to leave she suffered a seizure. She died at the vet's office.

I will always remember the unconditional love and the way she hung onto every word I said when I talked to her. She was generous with her kisses. When she first came to us 9 years ago she had this strange affinity for bricks and would dig them up and carry them around the yard as if they were a baby. Of course it eventually took a toll on her teeth but in the meantime she was the talk of the neighborhood.

Thank you for letting me celebrate her life with you.
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis,  Meds:  amlodipine, low dose Prednisone, calcium, sodium bicarbonate. Also, multivitamin and B complex