Author Topic: ****Tomato Talk***  (Read 5444 times)

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
****Tomato Talk***
« on: July 20, 2013, 03:28:12 PM »
Anyone ever tried a tomato called a "Kumato"????

Very delicious...can't even describe what the taste is like. When ripe they are not at all that big...sort of purple/brown in appearance.
I believe they are grown in Mexico and sold here. Could not find the plants or seeds here in Ohio...so last year saved the seeds after eating a tomato.

So, I have a few Kumatos with fruit on them right now.

Anyone tried a "Black Krim" tomato????

I have not but am growing one right now I got from a nursery.

Supposedly they are an Heirloom tomato and has a smokey flavor.

eye2dry
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Bobbie

Re: ****Tomato Talk***
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 05:13:29 AM »
Hi Eye2dry,

I haven't tried either of those kinds but I just love tomatoes!!!!!  I will have to find some
of those and try them.   :)

Bobbie

Graves,Addison's,Sjogren's,Migraines,Restless Leg,Erosive Inflammatory Osteoarthritis,Peripheral Neuropathy,Osteoarthritis,RA, episcleritis
 Plaquenil, Prednisone, Florinef, Synthroid, Restasis, Evoxac,Zofran,Lexapro,Gabapentin,Maxalt,Naproxen,Divaloprex,Omerpazole,Methotrexate,Remicade

Jellyb

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:05:42 AM »
I have seen them at the nicer grocery stores but never tried them I bet they are pretty in a salad.
I will give them a try, thanks!

Cricket

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 07:07:11 PM »
That sounds so good, will have to look for them.

Thanks, and how have you been feeling?
Cricket~
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

eye2dry

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 06:31:38 PM »

I've been doing okay

This summer I plan to enjoy.

eye2dry

4Kids

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 06:53:36 AM »
I grow Black Krim!!!  They are one of the best tasting heirlooms, the best to some. They have a salty, smokey flavour.  I prefer the tanginess of a Brandwine tomato myself but both are delicious and wonderful. You can save seeds from them for next year too.

I am currently growing about 40 different heirlooms. Some have set fruit and others need more time this wet, cold year up North here for us.  I am hoping to get a huge crop (planted 200 tomatoes!) so we will see.  It is definitely slower than I'd hoped.

Actually I did about 98% heirloom in the garden. Love them!
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

pweidema

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »
I am hoping to get a huge crop (planted 200 tomatoes!)

Wow - that's a lot of heirloom tomatoes! What will you do with them?
64, female. Sjogren's dx 2012. Nickel allergy. Blepharitis.
Fish oil 3000mg, AHA, B complex, Paxil.  Gluten free.

4Kids

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:21:06 AM »
I live so far up North things take forever. Maybe 40 have tomatoes starting on them atm, and the rest are coming. I can, I make pasta sauce, salsa, chili starters, etc. etc. I have 4 kids and we live on a strict income so if I get 100 quarts canned of tomatoes I will be thrilled. I make juice and soup too.   Plus freshing eating.  And seed saving.

Gardening is my passion.

If I ever have so much I can't use them, my late mother started a center in the town close to where we live that gives excess produce to the hi-risk people they serve:  families with little or no income. So any extra goes there. :)
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

eye2dry

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 07:07:15 PM »
hello 4kids.

You must have a greenhouse to start all those seedlings, do you?

When I was young my grandmother lived next door. She had a greenhouse and started all her veggies and flowers inside it.

One summer she had 356 tomato plants, several varieties. What a chore it was to stake them all, tear up old clothes, towels, sheets and tie them up.

She canned a lot of them, froze some veggies, dried her onions and put the potatoes in the cellar. We had grapes to make jam.

What was most fun (besides eating the produce)was having our veggies for sale at the roadside and going around our towns supermarkets and the owner buying grandmas tomatoes, peppers, green beans, corn , melons,  etc.. to sell to their customers.

Do you sell your produce at like a farmers market?

We raised chickens so in the fall we fertilized the garden after my grandpa burned it off.

Hmmmm, I loved it back then.

eye2dry

4Kids

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 05:18:15 PM »
Actually I just have my house. My husband is tolerant ;) of all of this because it is his interests to eat what I grow.  lol.  He built me a grow light and I have a small tiered shelf with a plastic sheet that goes over for a portable greenhouse. So I start them under my lights and move them over. I just keep putting them in bigger pots etc and then move them out.

It is a lot of work.  That is for sure.  We have the chickens as well. And a milk cow.  I want to give my kids a bit more of the simpler life vs. just sitting and constantly watching TV and video games and not having an intimate relationship with nature and what it means to have worked a long day but had some rewards from it (that are different than just stuff).

Also I really feel that my health has benefited from produce that isn't treated etc.  I also want to give my kids the best nutrition I can which means I have to raise it myself.  My husband's family raises cattle so we can raise our own easily.  I am just trying to be more self-sufficient which was also like how I was raised.

I have some big tomatoes but the temps are so cold here that I don't think I will get a huge bumper crop! Our nights are like 8 or 10 degrees lately!  Wish me luck, I wanted so much more!

Jackie

ellenkerr

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 07:40:18 PM »
Wow, that sounds wonderful!  I planted about 8 tomato plants, all different varieties this year.  Last year I canned a lot of tomatoes, but this year, the summer has been so wet and mild, I have only gotten a handful of ripe ones.  Some of my plants grew over 7'tall and are just now setting blooms.

My heartiest plant that looked like it was going to be a big producer was loaded with green tomatoes, we picked a few and I believe the squirrels have been eating them.  They have been picked and you can find them on the other side of the yard, chewed on.

I've never seen the heirlooms you've mentioned, and I would love to find them.  Do you have a catalog you can order from or do you buy the starter plants?  I need to branch out :)   My bell peppers and banana peppers are very productive this year, but I think it's been too wet and cool in Missouri to get a big crop.  I like to make my own home grown salsa, spaghetti sauce, chili, and I can the tomatoes for use later in the year.

4Kids

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 08:06:39 AM »
I live far north from Missouri so our tomatoes generally don't ripen until September, if we are lucky. We pick them green and ripen them in our basements in cardboard boxes lined with newspapers. Sometimes a good summer comes along and ripens some early tomatoes for us. A good variety for us here in Saskatchewan is 60 days or less, so you can imagine some of the big beefsteak types like Brandywine, Black Krim, or Purple Cherokee take quite a lot of work and coordination but it can definitely be done.

Our summer is cold and wet. Awful. But I have several plants, including a German Red Strawberry, that are fighting on. Here we start the late ones in mid-February and sacrifice some production count-wise for size and ripening.

Great places to order:

rareseeds.com  -- this is an heirloom, open pollinated mecca for seeds. Cheap and never treated, and of the highest quality. It is called Baker Creek and amongst the leader in the open pollinated movement.  They are near Mansfield I think.

botanicalinterests.com  -- a very nice site, very great seeds

seedsavers.org -- amongst the world of open pollinated, heirloom seeds they are the leader in the movement.  You can join and become a seed saver if you wish.  I haven't ordered from them because their shipping is unreal to Canada, about $40 which is out of my price range. Baker Creek shipped a sale (and they extended me their discount when my cart wouldn't load after the sale) for $3.  It was a very big order too.

In Canada

heritageharvestseeds.com  -- these are grown (3/4 of them) on a farm near Manitoba so in our case great seeds used to northern conditions.

westcoastseeds.com -- BC seed sellers

ttseeds.com
williamdamseeds.com

There are tons and tons of great websites that I can't think of right now.  I will update when I can!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:18:40 AM by 4Kids »

ellenkerr

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »
Thanks for all the great information and sites for seeds.  I can't wait until next summer to try them  ;D

Katybarstool

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »
I love tomatos, but could never grown them as their odour makes me sneeze violently. I stick with the canned ones and the sanitized ones from the store.

Kathyx

CMNK12

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
  Wow 4kids you are quite the tomato expert. I am jealous. I love tomatoes and can never grow them.  :(   Maybe better luck next summer. Ck