Author Topic: Positive Attitude Challenge is Oct. 16th - Oct. 30th  (Read 20246 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Positive Attitude Challenge is Oct. 16th - Oct. 30th
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:46:15 PM »
Hi - back in July, I had started a 2 wk. Summer 2013 Challenge for our members.  We were only three days into our challenge when a death in my family required me to take a leave of absence from SjS World and caused me to postpone this challenge.  Well, here we are in October now, and it's time to resume our Challenge (which the days on the calendar have since changed from Summer to Fall 2013).

We had some good thoughts, etc. in our Summer Challenge that I didn't want to lose, so instead of starting a brand new Challenge, we're just going to re-start this same Challenge. 

We'll go for a full two weeks, so that means the Challenge will be from Oct. 16th until Oct. 30th.

I hope all the "original" people will re-join us in this continuing Challenge, and we'll also pick up some new people along the way too.   ;D

If you miss us on the first day, feel free to join in any day along this Challenge. The more, the merrier.

I'll "see" you on Wednesday, Oct. 16th.   :D

Bucky

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi everyone!   :D

For those of you who are new to Sjogren's World, I'm Bucky, one of the staff members here at Sjogren's World.  Through the years I have held various "group challenges" for our members to participate in if they wish to.  Just something fun for us to do.

If you'd like to read about some of our previous challenges, here are a few:  http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=10189.0  http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=13278.0  http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=14461.0 or our last challenge we had:  http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=21363.0

I can't tell you what the specifics of the Summer 2013 Challenge is just yet - you'll have to stay tuned to find out.  Check back on Wednesday, July 10th for the details.

I'm hoping we can get at least 35 members to participate.  For those of you would don't normally participate on the forum and just come here to read, come on . . join us, we'd love to have you along!

Looking forward to our challenge together - I hope you'll join us.  Anybody willing to sign up today - challenge details sight unseen??   ;)

Bucky
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:57:58 AM by Bucky »
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

olmphoto2

Re: 2 wk. Summer 2013 Challenge starts July 10th
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »
I'm not much or a sight unseen type of gal...but what the hey.  :)

Maybe something like a 15 minute a day commitment "Moving my life forward".  Plan 15 mins. each day to work toward any small or large goal for the day---even just time for entertainment or creative activity that we have been putting off?
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

Katybarstool

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:38:45 PM »
I'm intrigued Mrs Bucky:)

Kathyx

Nancy60

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 04:58:04 PM »
I'll try it again,  I signed up in years past but then dropped out,  but will always get back up on the horse and try again. 

Maybe commit to doing something for ourselves each day to reduce our stress since it can play havoc with this disease. We could post what things we did for ourselves.

Just a thought.

Nancy

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
OK - here we go . . . Summer 2013 Challenge.   ;D

Day #1 of our 14 day challenge.

As promised, today - July 10 - starts our new 2 week Summer 2013 Challenge.  During each "challenge" I try and think of something new.  This particular challenge is an attitude challenge . . . a Positive Attitude Challenge to be more specific.

Many times, having a chronic autoimmune disease can be a challenge in and of itself.  You never know what to expect day to day.  You often wonder, "what new little gift will I have today?".

Studies have shown that there are definitely health benefits of having a positive mental attitude.  A positive outlook on life will help you to feel better and will significantly help to reduce your stress level.  As you may or may not know, stress and a Sjoggie are NOT best friends!

Have you ever been around people who are so negative and find fault in every little thing?  They are not fun to be around and they can put a damper on the occasion in a big hurry.

I've known and seen people who never smile - who always look mad, sad, or angry at the world.  These are people I would prefer not to hang out with.

Flip the coin and have you been around people who are always laughing, smiling and seem genuinely happy?  Are they exempt from the trials of life - absolutely not, but they have learned coping skills to deal with the situation at hand.

I am not a doctor, nurse, therapist or counselor - but, during these next two weeks we'll share with each other things that bring us a positive attitude in life, things that bring us happiness.  Ways we learn to cope with the trials life throws our way.  The different ways we can keep a positive mental attitude.

During this two week challenge, we'll not only look for ways to help our own positive attitude, but we'll also look for ways and opportunities to be positive to others.  Encouragement goes a long way and many times can leave a lasting impression on the recipient that someone showed acknowledgment of a job well done or they cared about the service or help that was given.  Children love to be praised for their efforts - the positive encouragement helps mold their young lives.

The challenge has been issued . . . let's see if we can't really strive to have a positive mental attitude these next two weeks not only for ourselves and our situations, but for our family, co-workers, and strangers we encounter each day.  Then, come back here and post what you've done , what you're thinking, etc.

As I mentioned, I'm hoping we'll have at least 35 members participate in this challenge.  One of the reasons we all come to this site is because each of us wants to be validated as fellow Sjogren's patients - to be around others who understand the challenges of this disease, and who can share ideas and be a support system as we all learn from each other.  I hope you'll join in this challenge.

Bucky

As is my tradition with each challenge, I will close each day with a quote that I've come across along the way:

"Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life, not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens."  - Kahlil Gibran
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

olmphoto2

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 06:03:38 AM »
Great, Bucky! :) So well put.  I'm 'in' and my first Positive Attitude Change is to post this reply.  :)
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

Velcro

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 06:08:11 AM »
I'm in.

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 06:16:44 AM »
Bucky, I love it!  I'm in too!

I want to share my positive help for getting out of the house in the morning.

I leave my house at 6:30 a.m. to get to work.  I always have a boatload of stuff to carry out to my car -- cup of tea, workout bag, cell phone, iPod, lunch, keys.

I'm always rushing around at the last minute, and find myself being short and mean to my husband who is just an innocent bystander.

Here's what I've done:  First of all, I have a list on a post-it note with everything I'm supposed to have with me. Brain fog begone!

But my brilliant fix for my bad attitude is my cell phone alarm.  I have it set for 6:25 a.m. weekdays, and it rings as I'm getting ready to start my whirlwind exit.

When that alarm goes off, with it's pleasant music, my cell phone message reads, "Smile and give kisses!"

So I do!  And this works really well for me.
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

olmphoto2

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »
What a great post A66eyroad! :)
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

long time dry

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »
I like this!  I'm in too.  I'm just about to leave for my dance class, the only group exercise I feel comfortable in.  This morning I will only talk about positive things to others and not mention my difficulties.  Sometimes it's just too easy to say my arthritis hurts or whatever.  Not today!

quietdynamics

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »

Thank you Bucky,

Sometimes we just need to be reminded.

Gosh, I used to be known for my smile, that had my eyes sparkling...and it has been gone for a while.
My daughter said, "You never smile anymore"

For the last year everything has been so serious here...but, I see the light at the end of the tunnel and actually feel the weight of it lifting off my shoulders.

Silly, but for my 1st day I am going to put a smiley face on the mirror. Actually, I will put one in the bathroom for my son too.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

tamaran17

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »
I'm in. mine for today was to be truly present for one of my more challenging clients/family. sometimes all they need is to be heard.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »
I'm in, but I feel like I'm cheating, since I've "suffered' from Pollyanna-itis all my life!

My daughter actually commented today that I always seem to find the positive in any situation (which made me very happy). The situation that triggered that comment is my PAC for today: I mowed a small patch of lawn yesterday and last evening, and this morning my legs let me know they would have preferred the long grass; but the positive turn was the lovely scent of fresh mown grass, and sitting outside with my tea this morning watching the robins picking at the new clippings, not to mention a very comfortable sense of accomplishment.!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 06:22:26 PM »
Day 1.

Bucky I am in. I know I didn't do very well in a past one, but I am excited about this one. I seen one of my little great nieces yesterday, and told her what a good little singing voice she has. I could tell it made her feel encouraged.

I ask if she would like me to make her a little book with songs in it, she nodded yes.
Today I started looking at some little children's songs, and have two so far. I plan to fix them in a cover made with colorful construction paper, and have it all decorated for her, and with her name on it.

I think this will help her self esteem. She said she had been in her bedroom singing.

Oh, for myself today I finished cutting out some fabric to make me a casual over the shoulder purse to throw my stuff in. I haven't made myself anything in a while.

susanep :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:28:10 PM by susanep »
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Suze

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
I'm in!