Author Topic: Trying to figure out what comes first anxiety or fatigue ?  (Read 2033 times)

connie50

I see their is another post with a similar topic but did not want to hijack it, so I started a new one.

I think for the first time I might see a pattern developing as to when a flare might be coming on.

Here is what I've noticed :

Had 2-3 weeks of feeling off, light headed, low energy, not being able to complete my work which by being self employed also means not getting paid and the problems that come from that, avoiding emotional situations.

Slowly came out of that and felt pretty energetic for a couple of weeks, got work done and delivered, clear thinking, money flowing again, then came the sugar and junk food cravings that lasted another week.

Sugar cravings are returning to normal but now I am feeling fatigued again, light headed intermittently anxious with occasional heart palpitations.  Avoiding emotional situations, commitments etc because it's just too much right now, fighting again to stay on track with work, hot flashes and more night sweats = disrupted sleep.

Now I'm concerned that I'm headed back where I was several weeks ago and not sure what I can do about it,
or if anything can be done about it. 

Sound familiar to anyone ?  Is this just how it goes for some people ? 

SjoGirl

Re: Trying to figure out what comes first anxiety or fatigue ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »
Connie, you described my pattern to a T. I avoid giving into the sugar cravings at all costs as then the flare comes and downward spiral begins.

Sounds like la la land, but I try to think positively, be grateful for what I do have, and try to distract myself by reading, taking a walk, etc. I do all I can to take good care of myself (which gets old, man I wish I could cheat with my eating or be less vigilant about other items). It has kept flares at bay.

Good luck.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

connie50

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:06:06 PM »
Thanks SjoGirl.

I really have to work at avoiding giving into sugar cravings especially if like you say it might help me avoid the downhill spiral.

Do you have any thoughts on what the sugar craving might have to with the whole thing ?

Sorry to be so crude but this STINKS !!!!

Can you tell I'm quite frustrated over this whole mess  ???

slccom

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »
The sugar and carb cravings may well reflect depression. Also, the pattern of energy followed by crash could reflect bipolar tendencies. I think a visit with a good endocrinologist would be in order. If you can find one. (I haven't been able to find anyone who treats anything but blood tests, while blithely disregarding all symptoms.)

Sharon

SjoGirl

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »
connie based on years of experience and paying much more attention to my diet when I became very ill I believe sugar cravings are my body's way of fighting fatigue. However, if I give in I get irritable, more tired, start to drop weight,  and end up having a flare.

I agree that it may be related to depression as well because sugar initially acts similar to Serotonin which combats depression. However, the rebound when it wears off is worse.

With regard to your problems with heart palpatations and anxiety at night, I learned and talking with a great counselor that it is possible to have anxiety attacks in your sleep.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

finallyadx

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »
I think anxiety can cause an exacerbation of fatigue, but I also think being so fatigued with no relief in sight can cause anxiety. 

Have you had anyone look into your iron levels?  I have anemia and when it starts to get more "out of control" I find, personally for me anyway, that I have much more fatigue and then I get anxiety over it and then comes the heart palpitations in the mix. 

I have read that folks with sjogrens can have heart palpitations, major fatigue and anxiety...these are just some of the "fun" symptoms we sjoggies have to put up with and deal with the best we can.

I actually took ativan (not regularly) for about 6 months - my anxiety was so off the wall  -  it would wake me in the middle of the night.  Then I started on plaquenil and my fatigue is better, my anxiety is so much less and believe it or not, (and I am sure it is probably coincidental), my heart palpitations are better.  Nothing is perfect and I certainly do not feel "normal" or as I did years ago, but I certainly feel better many days.

I agree that depression can cause anxiety and heart palpitations too.  Anyone with any AI issues can relate to feeling depressed or anxious for sure.  AI is unpredictable, can cause a wide array of symptoms and has no cure or "magic potion" to make someone feel great.  That in and of itself is enough to cause some depression and anxiety.  If you are having anxiety attacks, they can cause heart palpitations as well.  A visit to a therapist may be in order but also a visit to your dr to check your thyroid levels (because thyroid issues can cause anxiety and heart palpitations), and your iron level.  Although we do not have control over many things in this life, we have the ability to go to a dr to seek answers when things are not right. 

Wishing you luck in finding some answers and resolution.
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc