Author Topic: Fever Blisters  (Read 1406 times)

SjoDry

• "When you are battling with a gorilla, you don't g
    • Sjodry and Parched
Fever Blisters
« on: May 28, 2013, 06:35:47 AM »
I looked up this topic & read past responses on fever blisters. One person mentioned a steroid creme for fever blisters. Do any of you use something like that?

I am breaking out with painful fever blisters on my mouth approx. every 4-6 weeks. They take a couple of weeks to get rid of. I pounce on my lips with products as soon as I feel the slightest tingle..and my timing never matters in relation to the progression of these fever blisters.  I have purchased expensive OTC products; I have caked on a baking soda paste; I have slathered myself hourly with coconut oil...& have found nothing to be very effective. Of all of the symptoms that I live with, this is one of the most annoying ones that I am experiencing. I don't know if it is autoimmune or immuno deficiency related (or both).  In fact, I don't even care...I would just like an effective solution. If any of you are using the steroid creme referenced in past posts, where do you get it, a dentist or doc?

Thanks.
SjoDry
Sjodry
http://sjodry.wordpress.com/

Female 55 y/o; SJS Primary; CVID; Autonomic Neuropathy: Chronic Digestive/G.I. issues; Leukopenia;Tachycardia; Bronchiectasis; High Blood Pres; R.A.;Chronic Pain; Sub~Q IVIG infusions~Hizentra; Plaquenil; Restasis; Gapapentin; Breathing/nebulizer meds; Pain meds;

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
Re: Fever Blisters
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »
Have you tried tea tree oil?  That stuff is amazing!  It hurts like crazy when you first put it on, but it seems almost like it cauterizes the sore place.  Mine heal up in a matter of days instead of weeks.

Hope this helps.
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

finallyadx

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:48:02 AM »
I have used l lyseine before - you can get the pills at a pharmacy or natural food store.  I have also used vitamin C to help boost the immune system.

There is a prescription that some folks take called aciclovir or something to that nature that helps with the virus that causes them.

Sorry you are having to put up with them - they are painful and a nuisance.  Best of luck to you.
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc

reesatay

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »
The two things that I've found that work the best for Fever Blisters (Herpes) breakouts is the RX Valtrex (Valacyclovir) and laser treatments I get from my dentist.  I keep the RX handy so I can take at the first indication I'm breaking out. 

It is best to do these treatments as soon as you notice any signs of a breakout.  If started soon enough you can avoid the blisters.  Even if you don't take before the blisters the med and laser can keep things from being a major flare.