Author Topic: Mornings the worst  (Read 2940 times)

stprdi

Mornings the worst
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:03:25 PM »
I do have Sjogrens.  I am battling all the usual dryness but a month ago the morning stiffness and  pain started.  From my heels up the backs of my legs and in to my hip joints  I can hardly straighten up let alone walk.  Taking aspirin or Ibuprofen doesn't help. My fingers are difficult to straighten and swollen.   It feels like I'm on the down hill slide and I'm only 56. 

desi_20

Re: Mornings the worst
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:10:06 PM »
I'm 20 but I know how you feel. Some days are really rough. Have you spoken with your doctor about starting plaquenil to help with the joint pain?

stprdi

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »
I'm sort of nervous about starting that.  Do you take it? 

desi_20

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »
Not yet. I was just prescribed it on Thursday but before taking it I need to go get an eye exam

Ark mom

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 04:38:06 AM »
Hello, and welcome to the board!  I am sorry that you are not feeling as well as you would like.  I would say it is certainly time to revisit your rheumatologist. 

While Sjogren's can cause joint symptoms, some of us also have other inflammatory joint conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis.  It would be worth it to get checked out.  I assume that you are not taking any other meds beside the aspirin and ibuprofen? 

I have had moderate joint pain and some swelling in my hands, and after a year on various medications, most of my joint issues have all but disappeared.  Don't accept your down hill slide!  Get to a doctor to see what can be done to help you.  I wish you the best!  Peace and hugs.
41 yo with Sjogren's (sero-neg), FMS & sub-clinical Graves; Plaquenil, Evoxac, prednisone, Restasis, Cellcept, gabapentin, duloxetine

4Kids

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 05:53:40 AM »
Your rheumy is an excellent source of help. I too have the morning stiffness, and after watching TV even, but with Plaquinel, Arthrotec and Robaxacet I can function pretty well most of the time! Much better than before. Just have to get moving and it loosens up.

I am 37. There is help!!!  Don't be afraid of Plaquinel, it is amazing stuff.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

finallyadx

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 06:36:06 AM »
Sorry you are in such pain.  As previous posters suggested, see your rheumy to see if you can start plaquenil, it has helped me with many of the joint pain and other misc aches and pains.  Do not be afraid to try medications - it is always a trial and error with them, some work better with some people than with others, some meds do not work at all.  But if you can find some relief, then it is worth it.

Best of luck to you.  Hang in there.
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc

LadyDi

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 07:38:16 AM »
Plaquenil really does help with many of the symptoms of Sjogren's. It has greatly reduced my fatigue, as well as some of the joint and muscle aches and pains. It is also very important to find a rheumatologist who has a good understanding of the disease. This would be a doctor that understands that Sjogren's is not "just dry eyes and mouth."

Keep your chin up and know that there are medications out there that help to relieve some of the symptoms of the disease. I find that keeping a positive attitude also helps!

Take care.
Primary Sjogrens, fibromyalgia,partial thyroidectomy/hypothyroid, asthma, chronic sinusitis/nasal polyps, environmental allergies. Plaquenil, Evoxac,Restasis,Neutrasal, levothyroxine, Zyrtec, Singulair, Proair inhaler, spironolactone

stprdi

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 09:49:54 AM »
Thanks all.  This really seems to affect everyone so differently. 

sarahjane

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »
I'm on week 8 of starting hydroxycholoquine and reading your post has made me realise that my morning stiffness is greatly improved. My fingers also were incapable of opening and walking to the shower was an undignified stumble. So I recommend along with the others that you speak to your rheumy about starting it. I am also tolerating it well
good luck
Sarah
sjogren's syndrome, psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia, hashimoto's, erythema nodosum, saphenous nerve neuropathy, myositis, cervical spondylosis ,TMJ, Loinpain Haematuria Syndrome, hepatic cysts
Hydroxychloroquine, MTX, folic acid, Pregabalin,Amitriptyline, Vit. D, co-dydromol,levothyroxine

SjoGirl

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »
stprdi it's understandable to be concerned about meds. So many of us with SjS never took much and prided ourselves on that, but now find it difficult to function without them.

I did not want to go on Plaquenil or any drug. The pain and stiffness were bad, but seemed manageable, until I started not being able to bend my fingers. That frightened me more than the idea of taking the drug.

And now, four months into taking Plaquenil I am so happy I am taking it. The stiffness is so much better. I can bend my fingers effortlessly and the fatigue is also subsiding. In short, I feel like an almost normal person again.

Do I still get flares? Yes. Is Plaquenil the only intervention I use? No. I changed my diet, manage stress differently, have to do less than I did before, etc. That said, I feel like a wonderful new me and after years of hating who I was becoming love myself again.

Its a journey,  as you are doing, use this group to help you along the way.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

stprdi

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »
My hands are in rough shape right now.  Fingers are quite swollen (pretty much all the time), Heberdens nodules developing, god forbid I bang one or twist one (the pain is excruciating), I also have a trigger finger, can't make a fist.  It's horrible and in my job I kind of need my dexterity.