Author Topic: Consultation with new doc any suggestion?  (Read 1019 times)

Ottee@hotmail.com

Consultation with new doc any suggestion?
« on: April 14, 2013, 07:51:52 PM »
So my old rheum felt like since my blood work goes back and forth between positive and negative ANA that I should get a second opinion. The appointment wasn't until June but they had a cancellation. The doctor is at a university hospital and suppose to be one of the best. I'm really scared for some reason to meet him. I guess I feel like what if he doesn't believe me, what will I do?! I don't want to sound crazy but some of medicine was helping with pain management and if this new doctor does think I have Sjs then what? I don't really know what to bring up when I meet him. There is so much and it changes constantly as far as what is flaring up. Any suggestions on how to prepare to go to this appointment other than my previous doctor results being sent to him?  Any one else out there felt like this?

eyeamdry

Re: Consultation with new doc any suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
Hi Ottee-

First, you need to be fearless.  LOL.  Remember he is working for you and not vice-versa.  Do you have someone you can take with you that could ask questions for clarifications if you suddenly become nervous?  It's always a good idea to have someone with you.  Not a child, an adult that can be your advocate.

You need to have some questions for the dr.  Do not go in afraid to ask questions.  Likely he'll talk a little at first.  Then tell him you need a second,l or even a third opinion.  You are there to ask for his opinion.  If this new dr believes you have SJS, then what?  You'll finish your appointment and thank him just like at any dr visit.  Do not worry about making decisions at this time.  You need to have time to digest what he may tell you.  It's like you want to be diagnosed, but you really don't.  Do  not make any commitments at this time.  Just tell him you'll need time and discuss with family.

You don'[t want to sound crazy?  Of course not.  None of us ever do.  I think the problem with (us) women is that when we are rattled, we tend to keep talking and going on and on.  As in a job interview, you answer a question and the interviewer just looks at you.  So you feel you need to keep talking on and you get off-base.  I do this and I've had to let my daughter know you then be quiet and let the other guy talk.

I would write down several of your most concrete questions.  He cannot answer but so much in one appt.  If you talk a lot about flaring, he'll have a hard time honing in on that one.  If you can lead it into the conversation, do so, but you want your most worry-some problems answered.  You will likely spend most of your "appt time" with an MA or a nurse.  Be sure and take a list of all your past treatments that have worked or not.  Take a list of your current meds.  Ottee, you will do just fine tomorrow.  Much of the appointment will be geared to the drs personality.  Recently at a U hospital, I got a female, very young dr assigned to me.  It didn't matter, but not what I was expecting.   I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.  You will be devine!  Don't be afraid.  Lucy

Momedic

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 08:20:18 PM »
Absolutely!  I am being referred also and feel the same.  Not sure which rheumy I am going to see just yet but, nervous all the same.  I would suggest making a list of all your questions, concerns, why's, why not's and let him clear the air for you.  If you like his answers...great!  If he turns out to be a quack... no loss. 
Hopefully, he will have some good solid answers for you and you can get to the bottom of some of your concerns!
You should probably go in prepared, tho.  Would make the appt a bit less stressful for you and the doc.  He may answer your questions before you even ask...?? 
Keep a positive attitude until proven otherwise.  Thats what I am going to do.
Best of luck with your appt!

slccom

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 08:00:39 AM »
Prepare a list of dates and symptoms and diagnoses, so that you can concisely give him your history, and list your labs and their results, too. That maximizes communication in minimum time.

Sharon