Author Topic: A bad fall....  (Read 4433 times)

gmomjuju

A bad fall....
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »
I have not been on this forum since early January. My husband and I went on a 3 week trip to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. It was perfect and I felt perfectly fine. No aches or pains and I had tons of energy. We were on a grand total of 7 planes, a cruise ship and many buses. The day after we got back I got the flu. I had a high fever. Doctor gave me levaquin. On Feb 2 I got up to go to the potty. I was a little woozy. Went to kitchen to get some ice in my cup and got dizzy and fell flat on my butt. Took a ride in a the ambulance.

The ER checked me out and tried to do X-rays. I couldn't lay on my side so they sent me back for some pain meds. When they retried they only did one X-ray with my legs pulled up lying on my side (ouch). Within seconds they said no cracks. Sent me home with some tramadol. 

I saw my internist 3 days later. She re-did the X-rays. I had 2 cracks in my pelvis. Spent 2days in a different hospital. Orthopedic doc saw me for 2 minutes. Said no surgery just time to heal and that I needed to get out of the hospital before I got sicker!!!!

I started with home PT 2 days later. She ordered a hospital bed, bedside potty and a walker. I ditched the levaquin as I was breaking out in sweats and had dizziness. I learned how to get out of bed and walk with my walker. Exercises were added. When she started a more taxing one I found it very painful!!  When it occurs it feels like someone is sticking a knife in my left butt cheek!!

Yesterday I went back to my internist for follow up and repeat X-rays. Just getting on the xray table was excruciating. I wont even go into how hard it was to get from a sitting position to lying down on my back. Report back today says just minimal healing. I now have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor on Tuesday.

I have become a tv expert. I've been able to do a little knitting and a little reading. Thank God for my iPad.

Anyone have any ideas of other ideas to entertain me!!

Judy

CMNK12

Re: A bad fall....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
Poor Judy! Sorry to hear all that. Yea TV does get tiring after a while. Could learn to make jewelry. Send the hubby out to get the supplies.
But on the bright side...at least you did get to on vacation.LOL Was it great?
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care. CK

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »
Oh Judy I really empathise. I had a fall last August and broke an arm and it hasn't healed properly. I've been sitting feeling sorry for myself but a pelvis must be a whole lot worse!

I slept in a chair from August to December - but at least I could sit! Day time TV sucks but I agree an iPad is a good distraction. I could just about cope with it but I couldn't use the lap top till recently. Way too slow with left hand only!

I hope you get some answers from the orthopedic doc. Sounds like your PT was started pretty promptly! (Maybe too soon)

Keep us posted.

Take care - Scottie  :)  (Takes the mind of the Sjogren's a bit - doesn''t it!)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

gmomjuju

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »
I really appreciate your replies. And Scottie, I've followed your posts about your arm. I wonder if maybe I should have chilled for awhile myself. I spend my time walking back and forth to the potty, to the recliner and I started eating at the table for dinner. I didn't realize how hard my seats were! Tonight I am taking a pillow!  The rest of my time is in the bed. I've made some progress with my knitting and learned how to DVR some of my favorite shows.

I told my husband last night that I can't believe I haven't started pulling my hair out yet.

CMNK12, my vacation was just awesome and has given me some vivid memories for my many idle moments!

Judy

Katybarstool

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »
Judy, that sounds realy tough. Could the butt pain be coming from your hip? I know tht's where I get steroid shots when my hip is bad.

I think we need to organise a desert island for you and Scottie - just to chill and recover in a warm, peaceful climate.

Hugs
Kathyx

eija

• Serious case of hum-disease!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »
Sorry about your pain, Judy :(

About what to do with your time - how about using your imagination and start writing something - a blog, poems, short stories... a book?  :D  Or maybe draw if you're that way talented?

Crossword puzzles. Jigsaw puzzles!
Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

KarenR

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:26:45 AM »
In May I slipped coming in the front door with wet feet. Landed flat on my  bottom too. I fractured my tail bone. For the first week or so the pain was excrutiating no matter if I was sitting, standing, or laying down. There was no way I could sit at my table because the seats were wood. I spent about 6 weeks sitting on a pillow. It really helped. Taking ibuprofen every 6 hours helped too but I also used a frozen gel bag a lot in the first week.

Karen R

Slainte

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 02:46:14 PM »
Sometimes recorded books help pass the time. Especially when it's hard to position yourself for reading.  Bone pain is terrible. I hope you heal quickly

Luna

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »
Dear Judy, Im so sorry to hear about his. You poor thing. That is just awful. I hope you start to heal faster.. sending hugs your way..

Luna

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 10:47:33 PM »
Judy sorry to hear about your fall. I am sure you had a wonderful trip. Did you take any pictures? If you did you could make a scrapbook.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Nancy60

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
when I was recovering from back surgery (wasn't supposed to sit more than 30 minutes at a time) and couldn't lift over 10 pounds, I started watercoloring.  I could do it standing up, or during my sitting times, then I would lie down for awhile and listen to music or a movie.  I didn't have an iPad but wish I had one at the time.  It would have been ahelp.  I also made plans for what I wanted to do to the house and yard when I felt better. 

Nancy

gmomjuju

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 06:43:25 AM »
This recovery is going to be a long, long one.  Saw an orthopedic doc last week and I was able to see the fractures on the xrays on both sides of the pelvis. The walker is my best friend.  Now I know why people have those little baskets on their walkers.  You can't carry anything or you can't use your walker!!

We are looking for a place that has a heated indoor pool to do aquatic therapy. I don't go back to see the doc for 5 more weeks.

It is starting to get me down and my husband is getting weary. It is very taxing on him.

I will have PT at home for 3x @ week!

Let's just say that I am hanging in there!

Judy

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
Hi Judy - I feel for you. Moving must be so uncomfortable and even shifting sitting position - and sitting in the first place!!  It is easy to slide into depression. All I can say is that if the depression gets a hold for heaven's sake tell your doctor about it.

I was reading up about all the things that can slow down bone knitting. Age, alcohol, prednisone, AI diseases, thyroxine and Ibuprofen can all make it difficult. I was mad when I read that. I was TOLD to take Ibuprofen in A&E (ER) because I refused morphine, codeine or tramadol. I took it for about the first 6 weeks I reckon.

Thinking of you. Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

slccom

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
There are some really good cushions available at medical supply places that are supposed to help. Have you tried them?

I hope you heal properly, and quickly!
Hugs, Sharon

Suslew

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
Joe S mentioned a really comfy portable chair in a recent post (search recliner) you can pick it up at Costco -  not sure if it would help. 

I find sudoku extremely addicting....yep- I'm a nerd!

Wishing you the speediest of recoveries!