Author Topic: A bad fall....  (Read 4332 times)

gmomjuju

Re: A bad fall....
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »
Thanks for the cushion idea.  I sent my husband to the medical supply store on Saturday. They closed at noon.  You will be sure that I send him back there on Monday.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Judy

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 09:06:33 AM »
I have been reading on your progress. I did not break my pelvis but I did break my leg and hip. The Zero G recliner that I purchased was from the "relax your back" store. I saw similar ones at Costco and I have heard that you can find some at Walmart. I do not know what stores you have in your area. You may try purchasing it on line. I believe they are made somewhere in Asia. Until then your hospital bed or over stuffed recliner is your friend. My wife purchased an electric overstuffed recliner for me when I got out of the nursing home. I spend most days and nights in it. I use my Zero-G when I stay in a hotel so I do not have to sleep on the uncomfortable beds. If I need to lay on my side I move to the overstuffed couch.

I have used a recliner and couch for sleeping since my back was severely injured in an auto accident.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

gmomjuju

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »
Update....

Today is the 6th week anniversary of my fall!

I wish I could tell you that I am walking, but I'm not. My walker is mode of transport. I have one more week of home PT. then I am supposed to start aquatic therapy.

I don't return to the orthopedic doctor's until April 9th. He will then re-X-ray to see if there has been any healing. Hopefully I will graduate to a cane. I guess my next step is a cane??

I got a basket for my walker. However, today I refilled my cup with ice water and put it in my little cup holder. Then I put too many newspapers in the basket. When I sat down the basket fell over and the water went everywhere!!

My daughter brought one of my grandsons down this afternoon. If laughter is good for the soul, my soul is overflowing. It was a great visit.

Scottie, I can't imagine how long this ordeal has been for you. Hopefully there is light at the end of your tunnel. I hope your next procedure is the answer.

Judy

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 01:21:37 PM »
Hi Judy  :)

I think aquatic therapy sounds good but I would want to know that a fair degree of healing had taken place first!!  It was my physio who eventually looked at my x-rays because I was finding things so difficult and decided I should not be doing the therapy at all. She really pushed for this to get fixed which will hopefully happen at the end of this week.

You may progress from a walker to elbow crutches. I personally found them - or even one of them - more stable than a cane.

I read up a bit about the op I will be having and it says that some people feel the need to use a cane after the graft is taken from the hip. How that works with a broken arm I will have to wait and see!

It's been nearly 7 months now and I have got to the stage that a lot of the time it doesn't hurt - it just doesn't work. Not looking forward to going back into hurt mode but am determined to end up with a working arm and hand!!

Hang in there - take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Momedic

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
So sorry to hear of your fall! But, I am really happy that you were back home before it happened! 
Have you tried the donut pillows? They are very good for pelvic/tailbone fractures. Just a thought.
Here's hoping you fast healing! Sending you positive thoughts and lots of prayers!

reesatay

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
You might want to try a tempurpedic type pillow or mattress topper to sit on.  Also ask your PT person if a support belt will help stabilize your pelvis while you heal so you have less pain.   Hang in there and make note of each improvement because it helps to look back and see how far you have come in your healing when you get discouraged. 

Cassi307

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »
Judy, I envy your vacation! You have to watch out for Levaquin. I had a severe reaction to that and wound up in the emergency room. I was dizzy with my head on the pillow and developed chest pain. You probably have a sensitivity to drugs in the quinolone family and maybe you should make a note in your medical files about this. My rheum would not order cipro for me because of this.
I hope that your recovery is going well right now.
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis,  Meds:  amlodipine, low dose Prednisone, calcium, sodium bicarbonate. Also, multivitamin and B complex

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
gmomjuju, I am a year out from my fall. The Dr says it is healed. It still hurts a heck of a lot. I am in additional therapy for my heart but I am using that to work on my leg also.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

gmomjuju

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 06:26:54 AM »
Thanks all for the additional replies.  I did get a special cushion, no doughnut hole but a split in the back for your butt cheeks!  Sitting for a long time is difficult.

I finished the home PT last week. I started aquatic therapy with a PT yesterday for an hour. Very little pain but it whipped my butt. Water and air temp in the 90's!  I came home and took quite a nap. I am scheduled to go 2X @ week until first of May if necessary.

Last night I slept in our bed and not the hospital bed. The home therapist said to sleep in it for 3 nights before calling to have it picked up. I did sleep last night just fine!

I see the orthopedic doctor on 4/9.  Anxiously awaiting new xrays to see about healing. Then I can start on a cane! I can take a few steps but it is very scary to me. The walker is just a crutch right now. My basket allows me to carry things from one room to another.

One of my daughters set me up on Pinterest over the Easter holiday.  I wish I had that during the beginning of this ordeal.  I am now truly addicted to it and it is a wonderful if you have time on your hands.  I even have a board for Sjodgren's items!!!

Judy

gmomjuju

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 07:32:32 AM »
There is light at the end of the tunnel...

I started the aquatic therapy last week and it is awesome!

Yesterday I saw the orthopedic doctor and was re-xrayed.  There is HEALING and he wants me to ditch the walker and walk.  He also wants me to find a place to walk (and it might be in one of area malls that is open before the stores open).  I also found out that not only did I have 2 fractures in the pelvis - but the sacrum.  No wonder I had trouble sitting...

So...in celebration I am DRIVING to the Dollar Store! (with my cane)

Judy

slccom

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »
There is light at the end of the tunnel...

I started the aquatic therapy last week and it is awesome!

Yesterday I saw the orthopedic doctor and was re-xrayed.  There is HEALING and he wants me to ditch the walker and walk.  He also wants me to find a place to walk (and it might be in one of area malls that is open before the stores open).  I also found out that not only did I have 2 fractures in the pelvis - but the sacrum.  No wonder I had trouble sitting...

So...in celebration I am DRIVING to the Dollar Store! (with my cane)

Congratulations! May your healing continue and be complete and rapid!
Sharon

Judy