Author Topic: A cause of sjogrens?  (Read 4554 times)

acer 455

A cause of sjogrens?
« on: February 07, 2013, 11:20:16 PM »
Hi just wondering if anybody heard of getting sjogrens from a tens unit used in physical therapy ?  Its strange but I used that unit for my bad shoulder that i got from a car accident the tech i think turned up the unit to high because my shoulder started to hurt and i had severe pins and needles in my hand and after day or two i started to lose my smell and taste then from there a month later i devolped  dry eyes mouth nerve problems etc....... just want to know if anyone had the same problem or think that the tens unit brought the sjogrens out?

aussie mum

Re: A cause of sjogrens?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:39:29 AM »
Wow. I really hope not. My mum has a really bad back and won't go anywhere without her Tens machine.
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 02:17:17 AM »
Never been treated with the tens unit.
52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 5% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

gurs

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 04:21:33 AM »
I had the TENS unit on my face, at the dentist office for my jaw, but I had the neuro stuff before that. I think it actually helped. It supposed to
released the build up of toxins or something? that was about 6 years ago....who knows right? My guess is no, but anything is possible.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 04:43:21 AM »
While anything is possible with Sjogren's, that one sounds a bit like which came first, the chicken or the egg. I've used TENS for several injuries, in different areas of the body, and never noticed any change in SjS symptoms (that's just me of course). Since stress is a known trigger or exacerbator of any autoimmune, there is the possibility that the accident which eventually led to the use of the TENS could have started some sort of immune reaction.

As to turning it up too high, since it's an electrical shock delivery system, the range used is basically high enough to get a reaction and and up to as high as the patient can tolerate the shock. Pain form the TENS itself would be intermittant, timed with the shocks. Continuous muscle pain could be from several causes; returning tone to the muscle, inflammation from the electrical activity, "guarding" the injured joint causing muscle stiffness, or overuse when the TENS starts having a positive effect (we all tend to overdo when things that have been hurting ease up). Pins and needles could also result from the inflammation or the guarding.

One thing to remember is, we don't 'get" SjS from anything. It can be triggered by a vast number of things, but it has to be there to start with.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

acer 455

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 08:28:52 AM »
Hi Linda196 Iagree I think that I had SJS but i think it laid dormant until the tens unit brought it out.   Also before SJS I was sort of senstive to cellphones I would feel a painful tingling in my head if i used my cellphone for more than a couple of minutes now i dont feel this after SJS I know it sounds crazy but thats how it is.  I guess maybe I have a senitvity to electric or radio waves?  I have talked to some doctors and they said it could be possible. Just wanted to know if anyone had a simlar problem ?

janny

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
Well, I know the TENS unit didn't bring mine on because I have never used it in my life. I have always pondered as to whether what brought mine on was the Prozac I was taking at the time. It would be interesting if someone did a study as to what exactly people were taking and using when their SJS came on. I also have interstitial cysttiis and a large university did a study and sent me a huge questionnaire asking specific questions as to what was going on my life and what meds, etc. I was on when the cystisis came on. I have always thought it would be interesting if they did something like that for SJS.

cargillwitch

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »
might want to lay the blame on the car accident- not the tens unit!

I have been at many, many births that used TENS units- no studies linking them to adverse reactions. Car accidents and other physical and psychological stressors have been suspect in triggering the autoimmune cascade for some time
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

LonghairWolfe

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:44:12 PM »
I would have to say the car accident is the most likely suspect too.  This is actually what happened to me.  Accident on Monday and by Saturday I was having nerve issues with my buttocks which have never been explained by science.  And everything else has just snowballed. However, I have had dry eyes for years and my ANA was positive for 10 years prior to the accident but I was not ill all the time like I am now.  I think the auto accident triggered the auto immune!

Aquarius

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 06:20:12 PM »
When we are injured anywhere white blood cells are released.  I wonder if the car accident  revved up your immune system to heal itself but never calmed down.  Then the tens unit was also viewed by the body as another assault on your tissues and your now oversensitized immune system took on the fight. 

stillinshockwithsjogrens

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 08:31:13 PM »
I first used a TENS unit 4 years ago at physical therapy for my shoulder, but my SJS symptoms started way before that - 13 years ago.  I have a unit at home to use for sore muscles, but don't think there's any correlation in my case.

Tivia

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »
I think any shock or stressor to the body/mind can set off an AI reaction in people that may be predisposed. I am interested in immune system desensitization they can do it with allergies and I even hear CS and asthma. Maybe they can do it for AI disease at some point

jazzlover

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 02:39:26 PM »
might want to lay the blame on the car accident- not the tens unit!
-
Indeed.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

gurs

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 07:48:33 AM »
Since all the females on my mothers side all have some type of autoimmune...my guess is we have a faulty gene, when triggered, starts the autoimmune process.....we are just predisposed  more as females as well, and the hormone issues to me play a huge part in all this.

Blame our faulty genes ha ha..It seems to have also affected the younger generation. My mom and her mom very healthy, yet
all the gals middle aged have something...RA, Lupus, SS, the list goes on. I bet its all these chemicals that we are ingesting and our
bodies reacting to it setting off a firestorm of autoimmune issues?  just my two cents.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

bob212

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 09:02:45 AM »
I agree with Tivia that any kind of "hit" to the system may affect those of us who are pre-disposed to autoimmune.  Just makes sense to me.