Author Topic: Need a humidifier stat!  (Read 1646 times)

Tivia

Need a humidifier stat!
« on: February 11, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »
Well apparently I probably gave myself pneumonia, my humidifier which is the big kind that uses wicking filters had a bunch of black mold up in the fan blower area  >:(

I always cleaned the tanks and reservoir, and changed the filters, but never could see inside the motor and fan area. I started feeling crummy this weekend and my lungs and sinuses felt sick. I went to clean the thing like always but this time I took apart the motor/fan box...lo and behold full of black mold. Thats it no more fan humidifiers, or filter types, just a plain mist/ultrasonic one from now on. Anyone have any recommendations, and is warm or cool better?

Myshkin

Re: Need a humidifier stat!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 01:35:48 PM »
Oh wonderful! Like we're not sick enough...

Get a cold one and NOT one of those ultrasonic ones. They're horrible. I think the english term for the good ones is "impeller humidifier"
Newly diagnosed i 2012 with Sjogren's and feeling like crap. Just started Plaquenil and try to learn to live with the new me. Also joined by temporal lope epilepsy, auramigraines and PCO.

olmphoto2

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »
I use a crock pot with a tablespoon or two of baking soda in it.  Nothing seems to grow in that environment.  I just keep adding hot tap water to it two or three times a day from my plastic pitcher.  (I try not to let the pot get below about half empty or I might risk cracking the pot when I add the water.)  I think mine is just a six or seven quarter pot, cheap and now old!
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

RedFlame

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »
So sorry to hear that you have pneumonia Tivia,  I know how awful that is.  Have you asked your physician for a Pneumonia shot?  I have had Pneumonia 7 times in my life but after having the shot 5 years ago I have been free from it!

As far as the humidifier goes, I have heard that the cold air is better as the warm tends to breed bacteria.  Just my two cents.

Hope you start feeling better!    Lois

slccom

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »
Tivia, crock pots are cheap at thrift shops. Lois, I love your screen name and avatar! Isn't being a blond so much fun?  ;)
Sharon

Tivia

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
Whoo hoo, got back from the doctors he said lungs sound clear but I have a nasty little sinus infection. Funny I cant tell its my sinuses since they dried out, oh well he gave me a z pack and mucinex. Another thing he noticed one of my glands is hard like a pea under my chin on my neck...poss stones?

I like the crock pot idea, I have one but would it be safe to use for humidity, after having cooked init for years.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:42:45 PM by Tivia »