Author Topic: Insomnia My Old Friend  (Read 18916 times)

BonusMom

Re: Insomnia My Old Friend
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2013, 06:09:29 AM »
I was dx'ed with Hypersomnia in '98 and take Adderall to stay awake, otherwise, I'd be sleeping every two hours. I also have restless legs.

I stopped taking Klonopin for RLS in 2010 as it was making me really tired the next day and I had difficulty waking for work.

Since mid 2011, I have had difficulty getting a good night's sleep. I wake up after 4 hours, stay awake an hour and go back to sleep. I rarely feel refreshed upon wakening.

I don't know if my sleep difficulties are due to untreated RLS, peri-menopause or what???

I can tell you that my thought process and memory have been negatively impacted by my lack of sleep.

Tknapp717

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
I also have a issue with insomnia, I find it to be worse in the summer months when its really hot/dry out. I am in Arizona so its always dry but more so in the summer. In the winter I sleep better if the house is cold but then I wake up stiff. My doctor recommends benadryl because it doesnt make you drowsy. She prescribed ambien but I am already a sleep walker so I am to scared to take it.

I find that when I cannot sleep, I picture a object, usually an apple and try and focus on it. All the details, groves and different hues in the colors. The longer I try to focus the easier it becomes to see it clearly and by that time I'm usually in a dream because I have fallen asleep.

It works for me, maybe give it a try. Hope that helps!

crmak

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2013, 04:08:15 PM »
I've had insomnia for many, many years..but then I've had Sjogrens for a long time too, although i just got diagnosed about a year and a half ago. But then, I was diagnosed with PTSD many years ago, too, compounding the problem.
I have found the perfect solution that works for me. I take one 100mg Trazadone tablet and one 5mg Melatonin tab. Works about 90% of the time for me.
 :)

SonicEm

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
brooklynTina - the heart racing is very scary! What meds are you taking? If you can, try not taking them for a day/night and see what happens.

Tknapp - thanks for the visual imagery exercise - an apple is just so amazing! I'll try that and see what happens.

Sorry I can't comment to everyone as I'm still dealing with sleeping OK for 3-4 hours then waking up and not getting back to sleep. Although since I started on Synthroid for hypothyroid, I had 2 nights where I actually DID fall back asleep!!! One of those nights was the best I've slept in weeks, months. I felt so good the next day. It was short-lived as the next night I was back to sleeping only 4 hours.

I will see a different doc today - naturopathic. She will try to balance my hormones and let's wish me all good luck with that! I hope this helps with the sleep.

Thanks to all for your support and ideas! Wishing you all sleep tonight.

crmak

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2013, 01:52:30 PM »
I've read the rest of this thread and have noticed comments on Melatonin giving bad dreams. Really? I am known for years in my family for my awful, heavy, sad or nightmarish dreams. I've taken Melatonin for years. I wonder now if that's my problem. I'm going to stop taking it starting tonight to see if my awful dreams stop.
Wish me luck! I'd LOVE to be bad dream free for a change. Thanks for the tip. I hope this works!

Saundra

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
good luck crmak, may you have restful uneventful dreams tonight!

XOXO
Ldy

SonicEm

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »
crmax - good idea to just stop taking the mel and see what happens! Who knows?

The naturopathic doc I saw yesterday has put me on 2 food restrictive diets - no dairy and no nightshade veggies. Don't know if this will help the sleep issue but it's supposed to be anti-inflammatory.

She also has me doing a 24-hr urine sample - that is for hormone balancing which I won't get the results for 3 weeks. What to do until then?

Slept 4 hrs last night - if only I could conquer this insomnia! I feel so much better with sleep. This is SO debilitating!

Off to take a nap soon. Sigh.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:52:59 AM by SonicEm »

BonusMom

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2013, 11:02:42 PM »
My gyno, who is an osteopath, suggested I take Unisom due to it's non-addictive properties. I was surprised that she didn't mention Melatonin (which hasn't worked for me).

I haven't noticed an appreciable difference with the Unisom-yet.

stillinshockwithsjogrens

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2013, 01:03:17 AM »
My gyno, who is an osteopath, suggested I take Unisom due to it's non-addictive properties. I was surprised that she didn't mention Melatonin (which hasn't worked for me).

Unisom is an antihistamine, which is why it's supposed to make you sleepy.  It also makes you dry, which is why my Rheumy nixed it for me.

Myshkin

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2013, 01:17:09 AM »

Unisom is an antihistamine, which is why it's supposed to make you sleepy.  It also makes you dry, which is why my Rheumy nixed it for me.

Og yes, big NO to Unisom. I took that stuff on my own before my diagnose. BIG mistake - have never been so dry in my life. My doctors have since forbid me any antihistamines at all. That's a big no-no on Sjogrens. Makes you drier than Sahara.

I'd take the addiction anyday over antihistamines. Since stopping Benadryl I have been able to cry on my right eye again
Newly diagnosed i 2012 with Sjogren's and feeling like crap. Just started Plaquenil and try to learn to live with the new me. Also joined by temporal lope epilepsy, auramigraines and PCO.

BonusMom

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 04:24:40 AM »
Well crud!  I didn't look at the stinkin' ingredients, just blindly bought the generic and took it. How stupid of me!

If o had known that, I could have saved my money and continued taking Nyquil, which wasn't as drying.

Yesterday was particularly bad for dryness and I DID take a Unisom the night prior.

And here I suspected it was Black Cohash or
Centrum Silver causing my issues......looks like they've made their way back onto the pill box :-)

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Tinker

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 07:28:44 AM »
Hi girls,
I know there are a lot of replies to read but I posted one about NOT taking melatonin.  Dr. Oz did a big show on this and brought in MD's who specialize in this and presented their findings.

For more info: visit Dr. Oz's site and find the melatonin info.  Just want to help.

Tinker

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »
Another helpsie I've found (and it's sanctioned by my neurologist:

If I'm still awake at 2 or 3 ,or 4, I can take 12.5 mg. of phenergan.  If I take a whole , I get Restless leg, and we all know how much fun that is. Phenergan is also a stronger antihistamine, but it doesn't dry me much.n

Watch out for phenergan.  I had relentless vomiting after surgery once and they kept giving me ddrug after drug.  Finallly, some nit-wit gave me phenergan by IV, and I lost consciousness.  Was out cold and had a pulse-0x of 56.  woke my husband up and he called the nurses or I'd be dead.  They gave me Nar-can and I woke up.  It scared me to death and I always tell staff NOT to give me phenergan IV.  I can take this by mouth with no problems.  It was a combo of all the other drugs previously given that almost killled me.

SonicEm

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2013, 10:07:54 AM »
Hi girls,
I know there are a lot of replies to read but I posted one about NOT taking melatonin.  Dr. Oz did a big show on this and brought in MD's who specialize in this and presented their findings.

For more info: visit Dr. Oz's site and find the melatonin info.  Just want to help.

Tinker - Yes, the Dr. Oz article is here:
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/fact-sheet-melatonin

Interesting that he says too much melatonin may cause you to wake up in the middle of the night! I am going to stop taking this and see what happens. Thanks Tinker!

Most of the OTC stuff I've tried stopped working - next is just plain old valerian, not a mix. Anything else?

As far as Rx meds for sleep, Ambien stopped working for me, Trazadone never did. Any other alternatives out there?

I'm back to the sleeping 4 hrs then waking up schedule. I took a 3 hour nap yesterday and it seems to be helping to make up the sleep deficit. Don't know what else to do at this point!

anabanana

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 10:39:40 AM »
I have read that anyone with autoimmune disease should not take melatonin...which is too bad, somewhat helps me...
Can anyone confirm this or otherwise, it is contraindicated for autoimmune disease on labels?

I began drinking tart cherry juice (mixed from concentrate) after watching dr oz, so far not much, though I've had problems for ages, mostly from stress due to lack of diagnosis and life not progressing as it normally should...But it's only been 4 days, so we'll see...I have had weird, crazy dreams drinking the juice though, so something is happening...

I would try tart cherry pills, cost effective and supposedly safe...I am going to try the brand Solgar, as it has a good reputation for quality and tart cherry has natural melatonin, which is supposedly not contraindicated for autoimmune disease in this form...
Focal lymphocytic sialadenitis less than 1 focus, Dry everything, Neuro symptoms, Muscle weakness, Fasciclations, High inflammatory CRP,Tremor,Balance issues,Dizziness.
Take vit-D3, fish omegas, calcium, magnesium w/B6, B12, Restasis, Systane Drops, Seronegative