Author Topic: Advice re: antibiotics  (Read 1545 times)

4Kids

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 685
Advice re: antibiotics
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
My kids are all down with either strep throat or an upper respiratory infection. they are all on antibiotics.

My chest is now burning and I am starting to cough. I do have a course of antibiotics given to me by the dr in case I got it as well as we are over an hour away and I have dragged the lot to the dr for a total of something like 8 hours since Monday.

Do I wait until I am fevering and in the state they were (which was pale, high fevers, and quite ill before I thought it might be an infection) or should I just go ahead and start the antibiotics? My chest just started to burn today while I started coughing. I am tired but I have slept about 7 hours since Monday myself.  I have felt a bit faint but really hard to say if that is because I am just getting over my period (quite light for me, but still a period) and I have had such a terrible week of sleep.

I do get thrush quite easily as my saliva is low. I take probiotics and tea tree oil toothpaste as preventatives and it does worry me.

Any advice, which I appreciate is just your personal opinion which I can take or leave and is not medical advice, would be appreciated. What would you do?'

Jackie
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

jazzlover

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3172
Re: Advice re: antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »
I battle yeast constantly, so I would be hesitant myself. Maybe you could wait another day?? Antib's won't help a virus... but if you get an infection... then is the time.

Hope you are all feeling better soon!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

4Kids

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 685
Re: Advice re: antibiotics
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »
I know that is why I am holding off. The dr said it is a bacterial infection and will likely just keep going around if not treated so I was thinking I would just get it but I guess that is not necessarily true, kwim.

Still holding...  thanks for the reply  :)
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

quietdynamics

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2399
Re: Advice re: antibiotics
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 04:14:56 PM »
4kids...you are into day 4 of having 4 sick children and taking them to the Dr., lack of sleep and getting worn down, exposed to whatever they have the whole time.

I am not one to jump onto taking anti-biotics for myself, but in your situation with soo much exposure and your own medical condition...burning chest..I would take the anti-biotic.

..or call the Dr. in the morning and ask for an opinion. He wrote the script for you for a reason. I would not wait for a fever, etc. "symptoms" when you already know what is going around in the home.

Anti-biotics alone are not going to cause a yeast bloom, and you eat probiotics as a matter of course anyway.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

cargillwitch

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 349
Re: Advice re: antibiotics
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 05:07:46 AM »
as a nurse I would advise waiting and see if you get a fever- if you are just unwell it could be viral in which case antibiotics will not help and just  make thrush a greater possibility.

47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

irish

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13559
Re: Advice re: antibiotics
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »
I am a nurse with autoimmune disease plus low t-cells and I have lived with taking antibiotics a whole lot these last years. I would put it off as long as I could and would take one day at a time until it seems like all of a sudden I would "know" that it was time to call my doc again for a new script.

If you are living in a house with 3 kids who have had positive strept screens it is highly likely that you will eventually come down with the strept also. It would be nice if you could get some sleep and then re-evaluate how you feel. The thing with the strept is that if a person gets it and doesn't get covered with an antibiotic there is always a chance of further health issues developing down the road. Doesn't happen so much anymore, but it does pay to be vigilant.

You could call your doc, and I bet he would just make it sound like "I wrote the script, so take the pill if you don't feel good". I think you could wait a day or two and I would bet that you will know when you need to take it. The chances are very good that you will eventually end up needing the med. It is hard to play nursemaid and go sleepless with autoimmune and not get sick yourself.

Also, the probiotics and yogurt are good when it comes to antibiotics. Use your common sense. Do hope that this settles down in the next day or two. Nothing like a house full of sick kids on Christmas. I bet most of ur parents have been through it. Just my personal opinion. Irish