Author Topic: "Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Fish Oil May Reduce Inflammation"/Medscape  (Read 3885 times)

olmphoto2

Professional article cited in Medscape Medical News:

Am J Epidemiol. Published online November 8, 2012. Abstract...
  Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Fish Oil May Reduce Inflammation Janis C. Kelly Nov 27, 2012

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/775124_print

Excerpt: "
Regular use of glucosamine, chondroitin, or fish oil supplements reduces high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) by 16% to 22%, a marker of inflammation, according to a new study. Inflammation is now recognized as a factor in cancer and cardiovascular disease as well as many rheumatoid diseases. A number of over-the-counter dietary supplements are being marketed for the purpose of reducing inflammation, but data supporting the claims are limited. ..."

Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

jazzlover

Re: "Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Fish Oil May Reduce Inflammation"/Medscape
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:01:49 PM »
I take all 3 plus MSM .. sure helps.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Saundra

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:21:43 AM »
I have a hard time swallowing un coated pills, and its only getting worse.  I've BEEN GIVING THE GLUCOSAMINE CHONDROITIN for a couple years now, we bounce around and buy the brands on sale.  I am pretty sure I've never seen a coated version of any kind.  Do you know of any?  How much do you recommend?   I'm doing chewable dailys because of the size and lack of coating already. 

XOXO
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:17:39 PM by LdyMntneer »

olmphoto2

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:27:42 AM »
Saundra, you might check Amazon.  You can find almost anything there in my experience.  (Sometimes when I am shopping for an item, I have so many choices that I get overwhelmed and have to go back to it a bit later!)  People do rate items and often comment on them---I find those often a helpful resource.
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

jazzlover

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »
Saundra .. so you can't take capsules?

I buy from Vitacost.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

eyeamdry

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:05:06 PM »
They have glucosamine/chondroitrin in liquid form at most pharmacies.  Lucy

Saundra

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 05:20:44 AM »
I've only seen it in big non coated form, I can usually m guessing I won't have that kind of luck with a liquid.  get dh a buy one get one free deal but I'm guessing I won't have that kind of luck with a liquid.  I've recently started having trouble with my non coated meds.  I'm so dry they don't wanna go down is why I hesitate.

XOXO

4Kids

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:26:19 AM »
I have had good experiences with fish oil. I too have a terrible time with uncoated pills no matter what or how moist I feel. I find coating them in saliva, if there is some, or something else like yogurt helps it go down but I only remember if pills are sitting right out in front of me  :P.

Amazon hey?  That and theratears might be worth an order.  And the supplements Joe keeps raving about, but I forget which one is not good for almost-diabetics and PCOS people (aka me).

Anyone want to fill me in?
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

jazzlover

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
I think you mean glucosamine .. re the diabetes.

wendyoh

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
I think you mean glucosamine .. re the diabetes.

Hi, I am trying N-Acetyl Glucosamine and it seems to be helping noticeably reduce osteoarthritis pain. Unfortunately I am really prone to hypoglycemia and I think it might spur that a bit....but its one of the most helpful o-t-c things for pain I have ever tried---any suggestions on how to offset the hypoglycemia. other than try to eat well and avoid much sugar etc  Do you think its safe to continue glucosamine with history of significant hypoglycemia?
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, bulging cervical discs 4 level, DDS, DJD, emerging vertigo, cfs, fms, gerd, plantar fascitis, corneal erosion, some other stuff :)
not trained in medical field so just share my experience and opinions as a consumer and lay researcher trying to get more well-ness

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 04:15:32 AM »
The most recent information I found on a quick search regarding gluosamine and diabetes was from The Mayo Clinic in 2014, and, relying on previously unnamed studies, it stated that "glucosamine doesn't appear to affect glucose levels or insulin sensitivity" although there was a concern with concomitant use with blood thinners.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteoarthritis/expert-answers/glucosamine/faq-20058151
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

wendyoh

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 06:47:01 AM »
thanks Linda, no blood thinners here, well I will just monitory blood sugar.....it coincides with me cutting out sugar and reducing cocoa/chocolate so that's good :)
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, bulging cervical discs 4 level, DDS, DJD, emerging vertigo, cfs, fms, gerd, plantar fascitis, corneal erosion, some other stuff :)
not trained in medical field so just share my experience and opinions as a consumer and lay researcher trying to get more well-ness