Author Topic: Our hens are laying!  (Read 1892 times)

4Kids

Our hens are laying!
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »
We live in a place where it is 6pm and dark and they were spring chickens (literally) so this is quite the thing! Born June 13 and a couple of our Americaunas are laying. What excitement to unexpectedly find eggs a month really before we should! That is the breed I guess. Sage green and half the size of a large standard egg.

Today my son went out at 5:45 and found another--we left the coop at 4:30 so that is one fresh egg. lol.

Talk about exciting. We are definitely on our way to a healthier lifestyle.  Yeah!
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
Re: Our hens are laying!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »
Those eggs sound pretty, and I'm sure they are delicious, too!  Congratulations on the early layers!
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

cargillwitch

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »
There is nothing more egg-citing than finding eggs!
 I have about 60 hens( a mix of Rhode Island Reds , Plymouth Barred Rocks and a number of mixed banties) - they are close to 18 months now but starting laying at this time last year. Right now even with some artifical light they have cut production from 3-4 dozen a day to 3 or 4 single eggs per day! my customers are disappointed.
I am in Ontario farmland, you are on the prairies, yes? wish we were closer I would love some hens with green eggs to add to my flock!
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

Pisces24

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:40:37 AM »
Cargill:
Are your hens on strike??   LOL

cargillwitch

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:20:23 AM »
no! just a natural rythym impacted my lowered light !

Chickens are wise enough to know low light( from the Autumnal equinox to the Winter Solstice) means lower temps- not a great environment to hatch out chicks. So in true biological evolutionary fashion, they lay far fewer eggs or halt laying altogether. Many of us try to over ride this natural cycle and introduce additional artifical lighting  source into their lives. Hard to do for free-ranging birds but every little bit helps!
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

4Kids

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 08:13:12 AM »
I would so trade some plymouth rocks for the americaunas. They are chatty and lovely but I like the quiet calm of the barred/plymouth rocks myself!

It is sporadic...  luckily neighbours down the road have 100 hens who won't stop laying so we bought some more eggs. Ours have a much richer yolk because we feed them all sorts of stuff (corn cobs from the garden that ripened too late, plums, pears, grated carrots, etc.) but in a pinch, as long as they are farm, humanely treated and fed good stuff that is all that counts!
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

4Kids

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 08:17:43 AM »
PS we are in SK, yes. So no trading for us, I would love to meet you :)  I also got some goats to milk eventually...  they are quite smart but I am a newbie and so are they (only nursed kids) so it is a process. We got a foot of snow and doing chores and hand forking hay in -15 is quite the exercise to say the least. We are happy though because we feed them the carrot peelings and apple cores and giant beets from the garden and potatoes with holes in the middle in addition to a little grain. We had some TERRIBLY weedy hay--well, guess what is their favourite? They eat all the thistles and foxtail FIRST. So no waste for us.  Cause you can't feed cattle such hay. And they are very handleable, I am a bit afraid of cows yet. So I have them in the milkstand and as of yesterday, managed to get my hands on udders without sitting down  :P and mule kicking  :P no inhumane treatment necessary. I have pears, lol.