Author Topic: Hands Going Numb While Sleeping: Could This Also be Sjogren's?  (Read 31282 times)

Whereismycake

Re: Hands Going Numb While Sleeping: Could This Also be Sjogren's?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 07:08:50 AM »

I can definitely tell the difference between numbness caused by nerve pressure or constriction and this one. Its in both arms/hands at the same time, regardless of sleep position and the tingling sensation is quite different from when you have a 'dead arm'. Mine often feels like the blood has gone cold then heavy. Sometimes mine comes on suddenly when Im feeling stressed or really tired. Ive also had this explained as a possible trapped nerve in the neck vertebrae, or bad sleeping position - but that just doesn't make sense in this instance.
Its a magical mystery tour every day, isn't it! ;)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
When I sleep on my bad side (Left) I have problems with this. I have my shoulder stretched out several time per year.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Friedbrain

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 10:34:30 AM »
I've experienced this too!  I have low blood pressure which lowers even more at night.  I've wondered if, at times, I'm simply not circulating blood enough to oxygenate my limbs!  Right now, I even have low red blood cells, which compound the problem?  I don't know.  I *do* have daytime numbness sometimes, related to stress and/or cold; and then after working out, I've had episodes where my arm might even go numb (long story short, I now think that IS related to too low blood pressure).

stillinshockwithsjogrens

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »
Friedbrain, you've got me wondering now...I wake up with my right hand numb most mornings.  Mentioned this to my Rheumy, who attributed the numbness to the position of my hand while sleeping.  It does seem that when I sleep on my back with my arms straight down, the numbness doesn't present itself, but that's not easy to do all night, every night!  I also have low BP (a low temperature too, normally 97) get cold easily, and am now curious as to whether there is a connection .... not circulating blood enough to oxygenate the limbs, hmmmm!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »
Try sleeping in a recliner. I tuck in the blanket under my legs with my hands. This tucks in my hands at the same time. A neck pillow supports my neck.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

eyeamdry

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 10:09:51 PM »
You can likely fix/help this by wearing wrist braces at night.  Maybe during the day if you need them.  I had carpal tunnel surgery on one arm/wrist just after I quit working a few years ago.  I even forget which hand it was. I now have "sleeping hands /wrists at night for both and it wakes me up.  I do have a couple of sets of wrist braces from "before" and I can tell you that they help. I won't bother getting another wrist done now that I'm no longer working. Can use the wrist braces when/if I have trouble.

Lucy

mambo

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 11:33:28 PM »
I have to say, this helps somewhat but not all the time.  My hands still go numb even straightened out.  I didn't bother getting a splint for my left hand.  Come to think of it, this started when I was testing ANA positive but before the onset of dry mouth, which came before dry eyes.  It started at the same time as my (1) skin drying, thinning and flaking; (2) neuropathy; and (3) constipation.  All this came before dry mouth and eyes. 

I really think these are symptoms which heralded Sjogren's.  Too bad, neuros and rheumies don't seem to know -- for someone with fairly serious Sjogren's and related autoimmunity, the drying out of internal organs and nerve-related disturbances can be significant.  They're usually attributed to something else, like diabetes or diet.  I know now it just can't be CTS since my left hand doesn't have CTS and it also goes numb half way down the elbow. 

You can likely fix/help this by wearing wrist braces at night.  Maybe during the day if you need them.  I had carpal tunnel surgery on one arm/wrist just after I quit working a few years ago.  I even forget which hand it was. I now have "sleeping hands /wrists at night for both and it wakes me up.  I do have a couple of sets of wrist braces from "before" and I can tell you that they help. I won't bother getting another wrist done now that I'm no longer working. Can use the wrist braces when/if I have trouble.

Lucy

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 11:59:21 PM »
The bottom line is this: sjogrens is a connective tissue disease that will affect the tendons of the body. The one that is the most common is the wrist and then the elbow. The tendons swell and this puts pressure on the nerves. In carpal tunnal this go in and cut the sheath that holds all the nerves. This loosens the tissue relieving the pressure.

I have had both the carpal tunnal and the tennis elbow in both elbows. I have taken prednisone and at one time indocin for the tennis elbow. It was terrible painful. I also have problems at times with my achilles tendon and when I get up in the morning mmy heels will be so painful that I can't put weight on them and the pain goes up the back of the leg.

I have to move very slowly as if there is sudden stretching of this tight tissue the tendon can rupture. My son had this happen to him and it is excruciating pain. So yes, these issues can be caused by the autoimmune disease but they still need medical treatment and frequently surgical intervention.

These inflammed tendons are very, very common in people with autoimmune and the tissues need rest, gentle range of motion, medicaitons as ordered by the doctor and like I said often surgery.

When I had my problems I would awaken at night with excruciating pain in both shoulders, arms, down the arms into my hands and felt likt knives stuck between my fingers. It also was a burning pain and was almost intolerable at times. I would just roll with pain. At first I thought is was from pinched vertebra in my neck and I finally got into orthopedic doc who informed me that I needed surgery on my wrist. I really thought he was nuts but I did the surgery and I got better. I never would have guessed that I had such a bad case of carpal tunnal.

See an orthopedical surgeon and see what he has to say. The surgery takes about 30 minutes.Irish

Friedbrain

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 06:54:03 AM »
(Giftedpooch, you sound like me.   I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroid); even on replacement synthroid, though, I am still sensitive to the cold and my temp still runs low.)

Navigator

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »
Quick answer is yes it goes with SJS.  Sometimes once the plaquenil kicks in it goes away and becomes intermittent.  I only get it when I am having a relapse of symptoms.   Try to focus on minimizing inflammatory elements in your life to minimize relapses. Everyone does that differently.
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

Navigator

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »
Gifted Pooch

I have two of these pooches...and they are gifted as well...enjoy.

Cold extremities, low BP, fatigue? ...have you had your thyroid checked?  Our autoimmune diseases come in multiples.

I have all the above too.

I find overdoing exercise (for me) brings along flares, ocular migraines and faintness.....but I have lost 10 pounds this past year by cutting back on food and walking...a lot....which doesn't seem to bring on the above issues I guess because of the lower intensity. 
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 10:54:25 PM »
I have to share something with you that really surprised me. My mother most likely had sjogrens that was diagnosed. I won't go into all her symptoms, but she had one that I ended up having and it blew my mind.

She used to have so much trouble with her bras fitting right and causing pressure and pain on her shoulders. I would see her putting all kinds of little attachments to relieve the pressure. It was a non-ending battle for her.

For years, starting in my late 30's, I started having the same problems. My way to deal with it was to take my hubby's handkerchiefs and fold them up and place them under the bra straps. This would relieve the pressure but it also was time consuming as I had to always fuss with them to make sure they were in the right place.

The pressure that I had on my shoulders caused the pain to go down my arms into my hands and was really miserable. Well, I had my carpal tunnal surgery and guess what disappeared??? You got it. THe pain down my shoulders to my hands. I have worn a brace on my left hand for years off and on and have sort of got that wrist to the point where I have not rushed to surgery. I was to have it done in 2009 but hubby had cancer and that needed to be attended to.

I know that if we change some of our activities and motions/pressure we can relieve things for awhile. The ibuprofen helps too. Sjogrens causes inflammatioin of the tendons and it is a well known fact. Do a search on google and see what you find. Irish

stillinshockwithsjogrens

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »
Irish, I wasn't aware SJS causes tendon inflammation...that could explain my wrist/elbow pain and in my feet at certain times!  You're a wealth of information and experience here.  My Rheumy attributed the symptoms to osteo arthritis.

Navigator and Fried, I know SJS and Hashimoto's are very good friends; my thyroid has been tested and is normal, so no treatment has been prescribed for the low BP, temp, cold...I haven't yet experienced fatigue, thank goodness for small favors.

Navigator, two pooches?  Twice the fun!!!!!!  I have three = chaos.

mambo

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »
I also know someone with RA whose hands go numb when she sleeps.  She has no CTS.  Tells you, it's the connective-tissue related autoimmune issues that seem to be at fault. 

My Rheumy attributed the symptoms to osteo arthritis.

Doxie

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 01:45:51 PM »
I too have been having problems with my hands going numb and tingly during the day and especially at night.  I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel, and they do say Sjogrens patients get CTS quite a bit.  Irish pointed out that Sjogrens attacks the tendons a lot which I didn't know, but it makes sense. 

My doc has recommended surgery for both hands for my CTS, and he doesn't understand why I haven't done it yet.  But my problem is, I also get very bad numbness and tingly hands on the pinky/ring side of the hand, and elbow pain.   This bothers me even more often than the thumb side.  So, though the nerve conduction study didn't verify any problems with the elbow nerve -  ulnar nerve,  I still think I have the cubical tunnel syndrome (CuTs).

It's really hard at night to sleep keeping your wrists straight and your elbows mostly straight.  Like someone else said, lying on my back with my arms straight can cause tingly and numbness too. So then I try to use pillows just right to help that. It is sooooo frustrating!

I can tell the difference between the CTS and the CuTs, and the neuropathy I have in my legs and feet/toes.

You know, they can make us zombies while sleeping. Let's see, CPAP, 2 elbow braces, 2 wrist braces,  and everything else that us Sjoggies deal with. And they ask us how we are sleeping?

It seems to me that the inflammation from sjs makes less room for tendons and nerves and things . . .