Author Topic: Hands Going Numb While Sleeping: Could This Also be Sjogren's?  (Read 31344 times)

mambo

Hands Going Numb While Sleeping: Could This Also be Sjogren's?
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
My hands and lower arms would go numb while sleeping.  I also have carpal tunnel syndrome and felt that that was the reason for the numbness at night.  At least that's according to the neurologist, who told me to sleep with my arms straight and prescribed me wrist splints for sleeping.

Could the hands going to sleep be due to Sjogren's?  One reason I'm asking is that the CTS seems to only affect one hand.  How could it make both hands or arms to go numb? 

I also have neuropathy from Sjogren's as well.  Could the neuropathy be causing the numbness?  Anyone with Sjogren's who doesn't have CTS experience their hands/arms go numb at night (or during the day when napping)?  I can feel the hands stiffen and go numb, as I fall asleep.

slccom

Re: Hands Going Numb While Sleeping: Could This Also be Sjogren's?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »
My husband had tennis elbow, and he certainly wasn't playing tennis!  I noticed one night that in his pain he was clenching his fists and pulling his fists to his chest. He got on some good pain medication, that let him sleep better and the tendonitis went away.

Definitely use the splint. He started getting something like carpal tunnel, and started using the splint and that solved the problem. It was a good cue that he needed stronger pain medication, too.

If you have someone to observe you when you  sleep, and even take pictures of what you do with your hands and arms, that will give you some useful clues.
Sharon

eija

• Serious case of hum-disease!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:13:30 AM »
I've not been diagnosed with neuropathy or CTS but lately my hands have started to go numb while sleeping. At worst it wakes me up several times a night. It seems to happen when I sleep on my back and keep my arms up or rest them on my stomach. If they're along my sides on the mattress they don't go numb.
Female, 52, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto, depression, migraines, pressure urticaria, mild Raynaud's, MCS...
Cymbalta, Tyroxin, Oftagel drops

gurs

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 04:58:02 AM »
This happens to me all the time....I have neuropathy, but thinks it just the blood flow issue. I also have raynauds and POTS, so that kinda explains it. I have this all the time, but when im flaring, it gets worse at night especially. I have pain in my legs/calves too so bad...

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Jellyb

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:57:46 AM »
Me too! Numb hands while I am sleeping. It takes a minute to wake them up when I need to reach for a sip of water. My doctor said to wear the splints she gave me but they are just too big and glunky

Ark mom

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:52:06 AM »
I have this off and on, too, during flare ups or if I am retaining fluid around my period.  It stinks.  :(. It hurts!
41 yo with Sjogren's (sero-neg), FMS & sub-clinical Graves; Plaquenil, Evoxac, prednisone, Restasis, Cellcept, gabapentin, duloxetine

Whereismycake

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 08:59:04 AM »
I also get numb forearms and hands while Im sleeping. Sometimes only the last two or three fingers will go numb, or sometimes they are the only ones that aren't numb (if that makes sense) on both arms/hands.
It's painful and usually wakes me up. I have to shake them and massage them for ages until they come back.
I also get numb or heavy hand/s after doing a lot of writing, or using my hands for tasks (feels like I have been catching baseballs all day). Anyone else have this? Its driving me bonkers!!!
 :o

adinack74

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 09:02:04 AM »
This happens to me too.  It also happens when I'm awake and sitting/laying in a position where my hands/arms are resting against something.  I am constantly repositioning my arms.  I don't have carpal tunnel, but am not far enough along in my diagnostic journey to know if I have anything else going on.

Adina

grammad97

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »
This just started happening to me a few months ago. I didn't know neuropathy was part of sjogrens until I read about it on another website. I have never seen it listed in the symptoms on the main medical info websites. I reported the info to my orthopedic doc a few weeks after surgery for trigger finger. He suggested a neurologist visit and an EMG test. I planned on telling my rheumatologist and primary next appointment. The ortho doc said its fixable like Carpal tunnel surgery and the EMG will let him know what area to perform surgery to alleviate the numbness/tingling.
It is quite painful and wakes me up every night. I have read comments from another group where folks talk about taking
 medication for the neuropathy.  Lyrics and neurontin are.             
mentioned a lot. What do you think about surgery for this? Do any of you take meds for it? What helps? Does this neuropathy happen all the time or just in a flare?
Primary sjogrens, UCTD; osteoarthritis;osteopenia; HBP ;fibromyalgia;RX-plaquenil, butrans 20mcg patch ;flexaril;hydrocodone5/325;restasis, omega3, vit D, super B complex;s ;gluten free;lisinopril;moderate hearing loss

gardenlover

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »
I used to get this all the time.  Sometimes it would freak me out because I knew I was touching an arm, but I couldn't feel it and knew I was in bed alone.  Anyway, it was like that until I was put on 60mg of Cymbalta.  Can't say enough about how much Cymbalta helped me.  Dries eyes a bit more (if that is even possible), but I can't be without it right now.

Iris

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 08:00:29 PM »
My hands just started doing this about 2 months ago.. I haven't mentioned it to my doctor though.. I see my rheumy in a couple of weeks, maybe I should see what he says about it..
Sjogren's Syndrome, fibromyalgia, essential tremor, RLS, degenerative disc disease, gastritis, Ischemic colitis, heart disease.
Lisinopril, Pantoprazole, Ranitidine, Plavix, Diltiazem, Simvastatin, Magnesium, Aspirin, pain meds, serum tears, fish oil

Luna

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »
I have had this for many years. Doctors said carpal tunnel.. Did surgery back in 2000 on right hand. No help at all. THen they said I didnt have carpal tunnel, then they said I have permenant carpal tunnel. Now they say I can still have carpal tunnel, but no explanation of why I get it on the other side also. It has become so bad, I dont have to lay for it to happen. Just lean on it Like another person in here said happends to them. I have not been diagnosed with neuropathy, even though I have symptoms. The doctors just dont seem to be interested in my numb arms and sometimes legs.. Its very frustrating.

Luna

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »
mambo, This is usually caused by pressure on the nerves in the wrist or elbow. I had this really bad many years ago and soon learned that it was from carpal tunnal. It got so bad that I had to have surgery.

Have you tried using a hand brace that you can buy in the Dr. Scholls department at Walmart. This is usually in the pharmacy area. I have had so many braces over the years. My left hand goes numb often so I wear a brace on it. I was told to have surgery many years ago and just haven't gotten bad enough to force me into it. Good luck. Irish

mambo

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 09:43:21 PM »
My question then is why would both my hands and arms go numb, when CTS supposedly only affects my right hand?  Based on posts here, I'm beginning to think it could be Sjogren-related. 

mambo, This is usually caused by pressure on the nerves in the wrist or elbow. I had this really bad many years ago and soon learned that it was from carpal tunnal. It got so bad that I had to have surgery.

SjoDry

• "When you are battling with a gorilla, you don't g
    • Sjodry and Parched
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 05:32:46 AM »
I too, have this. It happens in both hands & arms up to the elbow. Of course it is random like all of the other crazy
symptoms that happen. At first I assumed I had slept on my arm during the night & put it to sleep, but realized it was happening when I would wake up flat on my back.
Apparently, this goes with the Sjogrens territory :-/
Sjodry
http://sjodry.wordpress.com/

Female 55 y/o; SJS Primary; CVID; Autonomic Neuropathy: Chronic Digestive/G.I. issues; Leukopenia;Tachycardia; Bronchiectasis; High Blood Pres; R.A.;Chronic Pain; Sub~Q IVIG infusions~Hizentra; Plaquenil; Restasis; Gapapentin; Breathing/nebulizer meds; Pain meds;