Author Topic: Rheumatologist visit  (Read 1590 times)

Tash

Rheumatologist visit
« on: October 30, 2012, 05:06:47 AM »
Hi there,

I saw the rheumatologist today, I definately have sjogrens and we have done one final bloods for RA just in case and tested my vitamin d so wait for those results.  I have been prescribed chloroquine for the tiredness and joint pain which should take 6 weeks to kick in.  My grandmother had RA and Rheumatic fever which are both autoimmune so it seems I have picked up the gene from her and with a very stressful year I guess that is why it has activated.  So far I seem to have Primary Sjogrens alone which is good news.  I have my omega 3's and since I was lactose intolerant as a child she has suggested I cut out dairy and wheat (for the IBS).

Keeping fingers crossed that the fatigue lessens soon.

All the best to all
Tash

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Rheumatologist visit
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 06:47:13 AM »
It sounds like you are getting it under control. That is good. The tips list from my welcome should help you also. Take care of yourself.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Ark mom

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »
Welcome!

It may take longer than 6 weeks for you to feel better.  For me, I started feeling moderately better after 3 months on hydroxychloroquine.  Some claim it took up to a year to feel good on it.  I just don't want you to be disappointed or frustrated if you are not feeling great in 6 weeks. 

41 yo with Sjogren's (sero-neg), FMS & sub-clinical Graves; Plaquenil, Evoxac, prednisone, Restasis, Cellcept, gabapentin, duloxetine

Tash

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
Thanks Joe, your tips list is an awesome help.

Ark Mom, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it immensely. 

I am supposed to be doing a 21km running race with my hubby in 3 weeks but every time I push my training by more than 20km a week I am absolutely and totally flattened for days on end.  It is really really frustrating.  I am quite nervous that running the 21km race is going to push my fatigue and joint pains over the edge??

Thanks

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »
Tash, are you carb loading before you run? Could it be an electrolyte issue?
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Jellyb

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »
Hey Tash,
You probably already know this, but I wanted to say that you should get your baseline eye exam be fir starting the chloroquine, and then have your eyes examined every six months

I m glad your are getting some treatment :-)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »
Hi  :)

Advice for taking the hydroxychloroquine. taper on to it slowly to let your body get used to it. Always take it with food. Be patient - it can take up to 6 months to work!

Good luck!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Tash

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »
Hi Joe, I eat bananas before running so a pretty good carb.  I might skip the race in November and try and sort my body out first and look to a race in the new year instead.
Thanks Jellyb I am making appointment today
Yes I am to take the chloroquine mon to frid and skip weekends.
At moment I have 20/20 vision, hopefully it stays that way.
Thanks for all replies,
Tash