Author Topic: mammogram  (Read 2231 times)

Winnie

mammogram
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:33:37 PM »
I had my second mammogram today since I turned 40. I was 50% finished when the technician came to me and asked me if I usually had discharge from my left breast.  I said no and looked down to see a small amount of cloudy discharge on the testing plate. 

She said for me to talk to my doc about it but thought it could be a small cyst that burst because it was painful when tested the first time.  So now it is Friday and I am worrying like a maniac and won't get any results until early next week.

I think I was punished because I thought that mammograms yearly was excessive.  I guess my feelings might have changed.  I wish I could just sleep until the doctor calls me with good news.

Winnie  :(
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

Liz D.

Re: mammogram
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
Winnie,

I just wanted to put your mind at ease that I, too, have a discharge every time I have a mammogram.  I started yearly mammograms at age 35 so I have had quite a number of them.  But after I got diagnosed with SJS at 40, I started having the discharge.

They sent me to a breast cancer center and had the discharge analyzed.  They said it looked fine and nothing was wrong and the oncologist thought it may have been a side effect from my Evoxac medicine trying to produce more moisture.  Of course, that was a just a guess! 

But I have had at least 8 mammagrams since then, all with a discharge, and all my tests come back normal everytime . . . thankfully.

I hope yours does, too.

Liz D.
57 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

Tivia

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:44:38 AM »
Aww Winnie dont over worry it, I had a greenish discharge from my breasts for years. Doc said it was nothing to worry about but to watch and make sure it never became excessive or turned rusty or bloody. I did have pre cancer in my right breast in the ducts about 10 years later, caught it really early because I had been on the lookout for discharge changes. So when my breast on the right changed the discharge color I ran right to my breast doctor.

If you are really concerned ask them if a ductogram would be appropriate. It caught mine early

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 02:45:13 PM »
((Winnie)) - hoping all the tests results turn out normal for you.

I know when someone tells you "try not to worry" when waiting for test results you think "yeah, it's not YOU that's waiting for the results!" . . . I've been there, done that on many, many occasions.

I know it's hard not to worry . . . but, I hope you can find things to keep yourself busy this weekend so it's not on your mind 24/7. 

As we know, worrying about things that may or may not happen only uses up our precious allotment of spoons.  I haven't come across any spoon fairy yet in my Sjogren's journey that comes when I am sleeping to give me more spoons, so I try and use my spoons sparingly so I don't run out each day.  I'm sure worry uses up the spoon allotment a lot quicker.

I'm not sure where you live, but if the leaves have changed where you are, perhaps you could go for a car ride and enjoy the beauty of fall.  Enjoy TODAY and let tomorrow take care of itself.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Winnie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  Today I got up in a better mood, slept well last night.  My anniversary was this week and my family went out to eat and bowled.  I have not bowled since I have been sick (almost 2 years), but knock on wood, my joints have been behaving this week and I have no pain yet.  Great day! I will let you know when I get the results. 

:) Winnie

Cricket

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
Winnie
Happy Anniversary!

Keeping you in my prayers.
Cricket~
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

aussie mum

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 03:21:35 PM »
I hope you get good news Winnie.

Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

Winnie

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 05:18:37 PM »
Mammogram was normal.  :)  No explanation for the discharge yet, so I asked the nurse to make the doctor aware of it and let me know if I need some sort of a follow up.  I will definitely get another mammogram next year.

Winnie

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »
Good news, Winnie!!   ;D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »
Winnie, Glad to hear the mammogram was normal. Make sure the radiologist knows that you have sjogrens. The breasts are secreting glands and they are also affected by other glands in the body. Also, some meds will cause strange reactions from breast tissue. When I was on Wellbutrin for depression I had the "let down" feeling in my breasts that occurrs when one is nursing a baby. It got so bad I had to quit the med. My psychiatrist said "only you" would have that reaction!!! It is listed in the literature though. Good luck. Irish ;D

Tivia

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »
Thats good winni, just keep a close watch on it for any changes, and dont squeeze that will just make you paranoid lol

If you are really concerned though ask for a ductogram. Its not bad just stings a little