Author Topic: Winter cometh  (Read 5499 times)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Winter cometh
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 09:11:08 AM »
Snow is a 4 letter word. So is cold, rain, damp. I do not know why the sensors do not bleep them. Oh well do all that you can to stay comfortable.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Tivia

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
Oh nice you can install a whole house humidifier yourself. Well if its that easy maybe I will go check them out. I def feel better with some moisture in the air. But omg cold air hurts my fingers really bad, they go all tingly and cold. I dont have raynauds though, I dont get that blue off color look. Just feels like I guess frostbite lol.. my toes too.

If I sit too long my feet feel numb and tingly raynauds dont affect feet right? so it wouldnt be that
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:13:45 PM by Tivia »

Katybarstool

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »
Tivia

Raynaud's does affect feet. In fact, my feet have been affected for about 6 or 7 years, whereas my hands and nose have only been affected for 3 or 4 years. Guess we are all different.

Kathyx

Tivia

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 12:49:32 PM »
Tivia

Raynaud's does affect feet. In fact, my feet have been affected for about 6 or 7 years, whereas my hands and nose have only been affected for 3 or 4 years. Guess we are all different.

Kathyx

Oh dear, but dont you have like blue color to your fingers and toes then? I am thinking maybe mine is caused by some peripheral neuropathy. I will talk to the dr, but most likely will get the well put socks on and move more response...yeah but they tingle when I walk and ride a bike too.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »
I get the painful fingers every December when it gets cold. They usually last about 1 month or so. I don't have Reynauds, and I don't have any change in color, but they feel cold and get the prickly, painful feelings.

I usually sit with a blanket over my lap and then warm my rice bag in the microwave and place it in my lap. I cover the bag so I don't burn myself and lay my hands on the bag. Ooooohhhhhh, that is so wonderful and eases the pain.

I have gotten so I think that when it gets cold my body or fingers get shocked by the change in the temp. After a while it doesn't bother unless the temp gets really low. Heaven help us if we have a cold and snowy winter. We have had such warm winters lately that it isn't normal. We will faint trying to pay the fuel bill. Good luck all. Irish

P.S. My flowers froze some last night for the first time. I live south of Joe so he has had colder weather. Our furnace hasn't run yet, but we have an Edenpure heater that we move around the house and run in the bedroom at night with door partly closed. They are really great.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:26:55 PM by irish »

Tivia

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 06:50:15 AM »
I get the painful fingers every December when it gets cold. They usually last about 1 month or so. I don't have Reynauds, and I don't have any change in color, but they feel cold and get the prickly, painful feelings.

I usually sit with a blanket over my lap and then warm my rice bag in the microwave and place it in my lap. I cover the bag so I don't burn myself and lay my hands on the bag. Ooooohhhhhh, that is so wonderful and eases the pain.

I have gotten so I think that when it gets cold my body or fingers get shocked by the change in the temp. After a while it doesn't bother unless the temp gets really low. Heaven help us if we have a cold and snowy winter. We have had such warm winters lately that it isn't normal. We will faint trying to pay the fuel bill. Good luck all. Irish

P.S. My flowers froze some last night for the first time. I live south of Joe so he has had colder weather. Our furnace hasn't run yet, but we have an Edenpure heater that we move around the house and run in the bedroom at night with door partly closed. They are really great.

Oo see thats how my fingers get, I hate winter so much god I dont know how I am going to deal with it now that I am sicker than ever. Sorry to hear about your flowers, its painful to see the world die back in winter, I guess I was never a 4 season person I prefer eternal spring lol

It got really cold a few nights and I had to turn on the heat..oh what a mistake..I insta dried out...I think winter will mummify me  :o

Meld256

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
Tivia,

I think lots of us don't look forward to the colder weather. It just makes all our symptoms worse. We all have our little tricks for getting through it.

I'm sorry you're not doing well lately. Must make dreading the cold worse.

By the way, here in SE Kentucky we've received a "cold blast" the last 2 nights.  38 degrees and 36 degrees; brrrr!!  And sadly, it was time to turn on the heat.

Melinda

Tivia

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
Hey Mel, I am ok some some days I think it was the initial shock of the diagnosis that make me so angry and sad..and you know that leads to depression yada yada. The kicker was last week on my endo visit I find out I have the start of type 1.5 diabetes. That really blew me away, my Dad died from complications to diabetes, he suffered a lot with the illness. And I dread what the future holds, not looking forward to the shots all the time.

As of right now its a honeymoon phase the endo said, he said I cant stop it from happening its already in me, just wait and see when it goes to complete insulin fail. But on a good note I hope..my eye doctor agreed to try plugs in my lower ducts /crosses fingers
I hope they help with winter dryness.

xANTHONYx

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 11:01:26 AM »
Hmm...

I guess I am just all sorts of backwards but I tend to prefer the Winter. Except for the whole digging the car out in the morning thing and occasionally having to help push RWD cars through the intersections on the way to school.

I sleep much better in the winter when I bury in to the covers. I can wear some sort of insulated clothing and keep my joints warm without sweating like a wiseguy in the trunk of a Lincoln. Long sleeves and shorter days also keep me from getting sunburned quite so bad which is probably the worst symptom I have.

Also, I have had multiple heart surgeries and I notice I can breathe better in the winter. This is because cold air is condensed and contains more oxygen for a given volume. When I get hot I get weak, which doesn't happen much in 180 year old granite walled lecture halls in the Midwest US. I will admit that it sometimes dips below -10F (~-23C) at night which makes my sternum ache where it was wired shut.

The worst thing is when you go visit someone who freezes all winter and they have their heat turned up to 85F (~29C). That, and carrying around a coat while indoors. Being on a large campus, the first snow also brings out the "OMG! it's a snowflake, we are going to die" and the "I own an SUV, nothing is going to change my world" drivers that inevitably cause chaos during rush hour.

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »
I remember flying out in late December to have Christmas with my mother in Phoenix one year when both the girls were still at home. When we flew out of Fargo it was 86F below zero When we arrived in Phoenix it was 86F above. We were running around Phoenix in our summer clothes. The natives we running around in there winter clothes. For some reason people thought we were from Alaska or the Yukon Territory.
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 10:13:49 PM »
I am one of those people who likes the cooler temps and really has always enjoyed winter. I just can't take the high heat and humidity. With my myasthenia gravis it makes me weaker and I feel like a wilted petunia!

When the temp is in the 60's I am happy. I can breath better then also. I love the cool fall and springs. I have always enjoyed a good Minnesota winter, especially when family is all home and safe. I love to watch the snow fall and blow and see the sun dogs when it is cold with the ice crystals in the air. However, my husband has long ago gotten over his enjoyment of plowing out our driveway ad yard in the country cause it takes at least 4 hour at a minimum. By the time he is done sometimes he has to start over.

Just hope everyone can stay healthy and safe over the winter. Irish

Byn

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »
The Allergist told me to get a humidifier.  Have fun with it and use scents - like Lemongrass or something

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 05:28:07 AM »
Last March, I saw one young gal from WY that had Raynauds so bad it tracked past her shoulder and past her hip. It took hours to stop her flair with warm covers and two people doing Reiki on her. Usually I only see it on fingers and hands, toes and feet. I do not know if she will make the trip this year.

Luna

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 03:17:28 PM »
Lucky me, my hubby works on Ac and heat for a living. So my stuff is always working well. I live in the south, so a house humidifier is not a good idea. It does get dry here, but not enough for the humidifier.  We would have mold problems with a house humidifier. I cannot deal with mold. So I use personal ones.. Love my blankets.. Especially the electric one. I drink lots of hot tea and snuggle ...I love winter, but it makes me hurt a lot to be cold. I have my scarf Joe. Thank you for suggesting that to us.. I would not have thought of it. Love the rice bag idea also. will be getting one soon. I use nose gel and drink warm tea use personal humidifier for the dryness and stay as warm as possible for the pain. Hope everyone up north is ready.

Im ready for the cold weather..

Luna