Author Topic: Winter cometh  (Read 5354 times)

Tivia

Winter cometh
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:30:38 AM »
Well it's coming and I can see I am not prepared lol
The temps have dropped considerably overnight low 40's, so naturally I did what I do every year...test run the furnace to make sure everything is working O_O

Well the furnace works but man did my house dry out, I like to keep it around 65% humidity since getting SjS. Well after kicking on the furnace for 5 min my humidity monitor dropped to 28% :o And boy could I tell it, seemed like all the little moisture I had in my body got sucked right out.

How do you deal with this in winter, I can use skin creams but they feel suffocating on my skin, and my eyes and mouth are a desert now...I cant imagine what a whole season of cold weather is going to be like lol

One other thing, does evoxac help anyone else with a dry trachea, that is a big problem for me. Or is it just mainly the mouth is helps?

sleepmonkey

Re: Winter cometh
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
I suffer a lot in winter. We have 2 tower-style humidifiers at opposite ends of the house, but I need one for my bedroom, looking for UV, but can't find one.

I just bought Aveeno Intense Relief hand lotion, I really like it, no greasy or lotion-y feeling, stays on after multiple washings.

I have had a sore throat for at least 6 weeks (worse with back to back viral infections during that period) - what is your dry trachea like? I used to produce lots of saliva but recently realized I am not producing as much. Also feel like something is stuck in my throat and some foods are hard to swallow.

Seeing ENT on Thursday.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 01:09:26 PM »
We have a whole house humidifier.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Tivia

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:47:24 PM »
Well sleepy my windpipe hurts, when air passes over it it feels like kinda a cutting burning feeling to me, I could handle that its the way I feel like I am being smothered that gets to me. But thats prob more anxiety than sjogrens. I seem to be extremely emotional now since all the changes with this illness. It just happened so fast to me I am still trying to come to terms.

I would like a whole house humidifier, but I want to move no way I want to stay all alone where I am. I am afraid takes emergency people 20  min to get here, not to mention the drive to the nearest hospital  is about 45 min to an hour. I just dont feel secure about that now.

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »
The heat came on tonight.
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

eyeamdry

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »
I've been having our AC on, but something tells me should be furnace.  I will do that when I can open the windows and doors and do a "blow out" of my furnace pipes.  I hate the first blast of heat, smells musty, nasty and takes my breath away.  Note to self:  Also get humidifiers out soon.  Can wait a little while on that. 

eyeamdry

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:33:53 PM »
I do too, get dry windpipe.  Not too bad during the day, but at night it's awful because it wakes you up because air won't go back and forth.  I use Oral Balance dry mouth paste and put a glob on my tongue before bed for moisture and also use dry mouth lozenges I find at Walgreens.  I have to have one or the other and like to have both on hand for when I sleep.  I might take 3 lozenges thru the night or, 3 hits of the Oral Balance.  Both are dreadfully expensive.  Lucy

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 04:28:49 AM »
Time to wear your polar fleece mumps scarf to bed.

Tivia

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 07:44:09 AM »
I hear people get the swelling, I have not yet. But I did notice some sharp pain in that area just real quick sharp pain nothing that lasted. Oh and my nodes under my jaw are tender, that seems to come and go.

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
As I said, Time to wear your polar fleece mumps scarf to bed.

Tivia

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 09:22:36 AM »
As I said, Time to wear your polar fleece mumps scarf to bed.

oh dear does that mean cold effects the glands there  :(..well I guess I better invest in some warm muffs

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »
Ear muffs do not cover enough. That is why I suggest polar fleece mumps scarf.

engy

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »
Joe, I agree, I use scarf frequently thanks to your advice!!
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

cargillwitch

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »
I second the scarf!

I live in Canada on a farm-  going out to do chores at 5am in -30 degree weather ( -40 odd with windchill) sends my glands into instant shock and excruciating pain.

scarves save the day ( and feel real cozy at night!)
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

Iwantmylifeback

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 08:33:02 AM »
Whole house humidifiers are realitively inexpensive to install on your furnace.  They really do make a difference.  You must however change the filters on them yearly to get the best results.  Our last one was $125 and I installed it myself.  We are in an apartment now with electric heat, last year was a very mild winter so dryness was not a big issue.  Feel like this one is gonna be a bugger!!!  Just really make sure to clean clean clean the humidifiers weekly.  We saw so many patients in the ER who never cleaned them and kept reinfecting themselves with the mold in the machines.  It is a good preventative measure.
Snowed in Colorado in the mountains already  :(