Author Topic: toe fungus  (Read 3626 times)

Winnie

toe fungus
« on: September 15, 2012, 09:14:12 AM »
This was my very first symptom that my overall health was going down hill.....toe fungus.  I spent 30 minutes this morning sawing on four of my toe nails with an emery board because the clippers are too small to cut them.  They hurt, they are ugly and I refuse to go back to the foot doc because she pulled my nail last time.

It was a terrible experience.  I watched them put a long needle in my toe to numb it and then it shriveled up like a large swollen raisin and then I passed out.  Weak!  Weak!  Then it took forever for it to heal.  It was like a major surgery. 

They won't put me on the oral meds because of my stomach problems and now AI problems.  I even keep them painted but this morning I took the paint off to give them a break and they still look like they are painted.  Any suggestions?  It is a minor problem but it really bothers me!

Winnie  :-[
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: toe fungus
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:22:05 AM »
Dear Winnie,

I've had the fungus in my big toe toenails for as long as I can remember...probably 25-30 years.

I would battle, with internal drugs, external drugs, blah blah blah.

Never won for long.

NOW both big toe nails are gone, gone on their own.

BUT my nail technician puts acrylic on the nail beds and 'creates' big toe toenails for me.

All are painted alike, so you would never know that the biggies are gone!

After a month or two, one or both will pop off.  Then I wear closed toe shoes until I can get the process done again.

I don't worry in the winter, but I do swim all the time (they withstand the water and stuff) so my nails are on display even in the winter,

I'm sooo grateful he will do this for me.  It is a small thing, but such a boost to my self esteem and self image.

Yeah, I'm really shallow I guess.

Hugs

Elaine
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:12:52 PM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol

Tivia

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
I dont know if this will work for you but it worked for me. The thing is you have to be vigilant. If you have a sally beauty supply go there and get a bottle of pure tea tree oil, soak your feet in warm mild soapy water let it get good and saturated. Then pat dry and clip the nails back and use a small brush like a pipe cleaner or even the edge of a nail file and gently clean under the nail. Get as much of that crumbling nail out as you can. Then use the tea tree oil on the whole nail and under the nail. I had lost half my big toenail at one point, and now they are all back to normal. But you have to be vigilant like I said. I brush on tea tree oil a few times a week to maintain.

Winnie

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »
Elaine,

I have considered having my toe nail removed permanently but the one that was removed came back healthy, so far.  I think it would feel funny without a nail or even a fake one.  It is one of those "feel good" things to know your toes are pretty. :)

Tivia,
I have tea tree oil and I used it today and yesterday after I read your post but around the edges of my nail that I put it on are turning white, like powdery.  Is this normal? 

Winnie  :)

Tivia

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:23:20 AM »
Hmm Winni I have never had white powdery stuff, my nails did have the effect from the fungus of like crumbling but I cleaned most of that out before I used the oil. If what you have is fungus of the nail then the oil will work and not hurt anything, its been used for that for a long time.  http://www.livestrong.com/article/222825-tea-tree-oil-for-fingernail-fungus/

They do say the fungus can appear chalky , mine is always crumbly when I had it.

Winnie

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »
Thanks,

I'll keep trying it as long as it does not make my skin irritated.  The white powdery stuff washes off in the shower.  It has something to do with the tea tree oil.

Winnie 

Iwantmylifeback

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »
My husband has always had the most awful toenails ever!!!!!  I found clippers in the toe/foot isle at WM that actually look like pliers.  They work great on tough big nails.  Also we are getting good results from cold pressed cod liver oil.  It is applied once a day and all of the new nail coming in looks great and it softens the hard ends as well.  Got this from a Chinese herbal medicine doctor.  It seems to be working.  It takes diligence as in daily but worth the results!

teresa

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
I have heard an old remedy of applying a thick application of vicks vaporub on all your toenails every night and wearing socks overnight.  I think this can take months, but have heard it sometimes works.  Never tried it myself.

Winnie

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 04:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions - I am going to stick with the tea tree oil for awhile and then try other suggestions.   :)

Winnie