Author Topic: Prayers for Ben - one year on  (Read 2900 times)

Katybarstool

Prayers for Ben - one year on
« on: September 08, 2012, 11:45:57 AM »
Today is exactly a year since my 19 year old nephew, Ben, was flown back to the UK from Afghanistan, after being critically injured after standing on an IED. As many of you know, we all prayed for him to live, and despite his horrendous injuries, he has done just that.

Ben's first few months were very difficult. He had lots of surgery, and many infections. He spent around 3 months in hospital. Since then, he has been alternatiing rounds of intense physiotherapy at the military rehab centre, with periods at home with his partner and her young son.  It has been a rollercoaster year but in that time he has

become engaged to Stacey
learned to drive a modified car
bought himself a house
began to customise some computer game coontrols as a hobby. This last one is inspired by his need to keep his hands mobilised as they were badly burned.

He has tried prosthetic legs, but it seems, unless he has further surgery, these are not going to be an option. Understandably, he's not keen on any more surery at this point.

In the early days Ben pushed his mum, my sister, away.  She was devastated. I think he wanted to spare her some anguish. However, thankfully, they are now reconciled, so my sister is in a better place than she was this time last year.

Ben's situation has certainly put many of our family trials and tribulations in perspective. We are so proud of our hero.

Thanks to all you wonderful people who shared the  early months with us, and prayed for us. We are so pleased to be one year on.

Kathyx

Gayle

Re: Prayers for Ben - one year on
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
It is our hero's that often make us open our eyes and  be oh so grateful!

Thanks and so happy he is doing so well!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 05:08:02 PM »
Kathyx - it's so good to hear how Ben is doing today a year after that horrific day in his life.

He has endured so much pain, surgery and rehab to get to this place today.

Through all the trials and difficult times, he also had times of celebration and joy.  Have Stacey and Ben set a wedding date?  Their young son won't know Daddy any different than he is now.  I'm sure the little guy was a reason for Ben to endure what he did and push himself to get where he is now.

Maybe Ben's customized game controls could be something he could get a patent for and turn his little invention into some money. 

I'm glad things have worked out for Ben and his mum.  I can only imagine how heartbreaking it was for her to be pushed away at such a traumatic time in Ben's and the families life.  As a mum myself, I would be devastated if my son pushed me away if he was hurt as bad as Ben was.

I've thought of Ben a lot this past year and prayed for him and the family.  We too, an extended cyber-family of his (through you, Kathyx) are proud of our hero, Ben.

Thanks for sharing Ben's anniversary update.  Happy 1st Anniversary, Ben!!

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

lynnmarie219

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:57:11 PM »
Thanks so much for the update Kathyx.

I am so happy that some good has come out of this horrible situation and that Ben and his mother have reconciled and he and Stacey are now engaged...but most of all that he has survived and is gaining his life back again. This young man has been through so much, but he keeps moving on...and is an inspiration to many.

I continue to think of Ben and send nothing but good and positive thoughts to him, you, and the rest of your family. He has made a sacrifice for his country and there are many,many people forever grateful to him for that...and I am one of those people!

Hugs....

Cricket

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:51:09 PM »
Kathy

So glad to hear such a good update on Ben.  He has been through so much in his young life and has faced each with courage and strength, I am sure he will continue to do great!

Cricket~
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

season

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »
Thank you for the update. I was so sorry for him when all this was happening and I wish him well in his young life and may all the adjustments come easy as possible.

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:25:07 PM »
I am so glad Ben is going forward through much pain, and so many trials. I prayed for his continued progress and for all of his precious family to be close.

Please give Ben my heartlfelt thanks for his service.

Thank you for the update.
susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

tomsmom

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 03:43:12 PM »
I was so happy to read this update!  I'm so happy for Ben and your family.

Meld256

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 11:58:38 PM »
Kathy,

Thanks so much for the update on Ben.  He has had such a life-changing year and has come through it with grace, bravery and optimism. 

What he has accomplished is truly amazing! As I keep saying, what a determined and strong young man.  ;)

I'm so glad to hear he and his mother have reconciled, so happy for he and his fiance, and it sounds as if he continues to amaze everyone with his strength and courage.  I understand he must have daily struggles.  I continue to keep him and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Please let him know he has a whole community here of support and encouragement with him!
Take care,

Melinda

harrigan

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »
Thankyou so much for sharing Ben's progress.  I'm sure the anniversary must have been a day of intense memories and emotions and I'm so pleased that you are all 12 months on from that terrible time.

I'm sure you have been a sister in a million Kathy, and a tower of strength even when your own heart must have been so sore.  Hoping that the next 12 months see continued progress for Ben and much happiness for your whole family  xx Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

Katybarstool

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »
thanks Ailsa and all my sjoggie friends. The last year has taken it's toll, particularly for Ben's parents. His dad has had a cancer scare (clear, thankfully? And his mum's mental health is questipnable. However, thay are rebuilding their lives, and planning a holiday in a couple of weeks. Ben's partner, Stacey, is recovering from meningitis, but, thank God, she is okay.

Life is good.

Kathyx

iraisin

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »
Please tell Ben, and his beautiful family, that I think he's a ROCK STAR!!!

Way to go guy!