Author Topic: Thinking of going back to work...am I crazy?  (Read 1480 times)

WildThing

Thinking of going back to work...am I crazy?
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »
So yes, basically am BORED OUT OF MY MIND.  Still struggling with a few things.  Still don;t have a normal routine at all but I desperately need metal stimulation and feel I am going out of my mind without it.  Wouldn't go back full time, I am/was self employed anyway so could go at my own pace.  Spoke to my doc about it and she said it seems like a good idea.  Thought she'd be dead against it to be honest.

Sometimes I just crave an intelligent, interesting conversation with someone and not get bored to death by the dullest people on the planet who can make a conversation out of a tin of curry.

Katybarstool

Re: Thinking of going back to work...am I crazy?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »
Wildthing

Sounds like some kind of external stimulation would do you good. But would you lose benefits, and if so, if you couldn't do the work, would you be able to get them back?

I've just started a phased return to work after my recent surgery. I've only been off 5 weeks, but found doing just half a day at home today really wore me out.

Could you try something voluntary, to start with?

Kathyx

Pisces24

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:01:23 AM »
Sorry but I don't think you should go back to work yet unless you are 100% able to do your job. You need to honor any commitments 100% with no excuses.

Only you know how you feel physically.

slccom

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »
Wild Thing, you write well. Have you considered freelance writing? Or blogging? You can get a lot of mental stimulation researching things, and now you don't have to go running around from library to library as I used to. You talk to people on the phone, editors, etc. It is really a lot of fun, and you get to make your own schedule. You do have to meet deadlines, though, so set it up in your own mind a few days early to give yourself breathing room. If the editor wants it on Monday, make sure you finish it on Friday. If you feel awful Friday, you have a couple of extra days to finish it up.

Contact me if you want more info. Sharon

EllaBlue

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »
OH Wildthing can I ever relate!!!!!  PLEASE be careful as to not lose your benefits. Once that happens it could be heck getting them back. How about a class?  Do you draw? Write poetry by chance?  I am just thinking that you can get that stimulation while protecting yourself..really hun.
THINK it over. Make that thinking decision, you know, one that is not based on emotions.
I have that kind of mind too. Mental stimulation makes me feel alive...so I think I really DO get how you may be feeling.
Wishing you the BEST!!
EllaBlue

artistangie

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »
i love Sharon's blogging idea!!!

WildThing

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 05:54:24 AM »
Hey guys, thanks very much for the input.  Pisces:  you're right you need to be 100% committed but I am.  Regardless of what else is going on.  I mean honestly if you could have seen how bad I was before compared to now you'd see how determined I am.  And Sharon I swear you can read me like a book all this is getting a bit spooky now lol.  Can you see through me or something?  LOL I am a freelance journalist.  Really miss it.  I don't know where in the world you are but here in the UK we can claim benefits and earn up to ?85 a week as long as we can prove it's not just to get extra money but to help ourselves get back into a full time job which is my full intention and they know that.  They've already gone over that with me.  Then if and when I'm up to working full time I an simply do that and come off benefits.  Oh the joy when that day actually comes.  I actually started the ball rolling for wok this week and feel OK about it.  It feels a bit weird but I'm OK about it.  I miss the adrenaline.